User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
dirtbikebagger OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
2010 adventure spark plugs

This seems like it would be the easiest thing in the world to figure out, but between my terrible local KTM dealerships, and the online listings I cannot find what spark plug fits in my 2010 KTM 990 adventure without taking it apart to look!
Are there Densos in there or NGK? Does the Superduke or 990R use different plugs than my Adventure? (my 990 is now basically an R)

KTMtwins.com Doesnt list any spark plugs for anything newer than 2009. Also most online vendors list part numbers but they always stop at 09.
Now I was a part guy for years and I understand how they dont always keep up with fitment listings, but this is pretty ridiculous. Also not in my manual.
This is partially a rant about how bad these companies are at selling me products but I am pretty frustrated and need some help.

DCPR8E Is this the part number for the plugs I need?

Thanks in advance guys!
dirtbikebagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbikebagger View Post

Thanks in advance guys!
My '08 990 uses a NGK DCPR8E plug so, your '10 990 with the improvements they made to the motor most likely uses a different plug.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 625
Cross reference from the KTM Parts Locator at Munn Racing

http://98.198.87.243/munnracing/catalog/catalog.cfm
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
gozirra
Spam?

Oddometer: 137
I realized while fighting my front cyl exhaust off the bike that a tag on the frame actually has that info (tank off, 05.5 adv here so no help)

Just though I would share that.
gozirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
dirtbikebagger OP
Adventurer

well, I may have to look at that sticker on mine. seems like i should be able to find usable spark plugs locally without buying them from KTM.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
gozirra
Spam?

Oddometer: 137
YearEngineModel Standard PlugIridium Plug
2011-2009 990 990 Adventure n/a
2011-2009 990 990 Adventure R n/a
2008-2007 990 990 Adventure S n/a
2008-2007 990 990 SuperDuke n/a

= Plug is available. Click the to find out more information about your plug.

N/A = Not Available.

From the NGK Site - if you click through on the correct year I get this - LKAR8BI9 - same as the 990 R for the same year. hope that helps.

2011-2009 KTM 990 Adventure 990
Spark PlugPart No.Stock No.Plug GapPhoto
Iridium
LKAR8BI9
---
n/a
gozirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
dirtbikebagger OP
Adventurer

Thanks for all the replies guys, but Im still confused. Does that mean my motorcycle came with NGK Iridiums and I can run them for 60k miles?
Its weird, my owners manual is so thorough on most aspects of repair and maintenance, but doesnt mention the spark plugs, or air cleaner! maybe i need to read it again.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
Master
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Here's the deal:

Post 2009 adventures have different spark plugs. Even if you don't mind running the "older" DCPR8E plugs, they will not fit. You need LKAR8BI9. I don't really know if those are irridium, but the manual tells me to change them every 15000 km, so that's what I do .
By the way: don't expect a standard spark plug wrench to fit the newer plugs, they have a rare dimension and you need a socket that's hard to come by. I got mine from CJ Designs and never looked back, but I have never seen a spark plug socket that will fit them anywhere else.

How I know? I bought the wrong plugs once and my bike sat in my garage for over a week before I managed to get hold of the correct plugs and a matching socket.

Master screwed with this post 07-27-2013 at 11:20 AM
Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
kingoftwins
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Spark Plug Confusion.

It looks as though your question or Rant if you will was answered. The reason you don't find it in the Engine listings like you do for the earlier years is because of the unique plug KTM required for that later bike. If it were as easy to cross reference as the DCPR9E or CR8EK like some of the other models you would see that plug listed. Since shops don't have access to those specialized plugs through their normal channels we require that item to be ordered directly from the microfiche section. This eliminates and problems on the shops side since you ordered directly form the information KTM provides.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbikebagger View Post
This seems like it would be the easiest thing in the world to figure out, but between my terrible local KTM dealerships, and the online listings I cannot find what spark plug fits in my 2010 KTM 990 adventure without taking it apart to look!
Are there Densos in there or NGK? Does the Superduke or 990R use different plugs than my Adventure? (my 990 is now basically an R)

KTMtwins.com Doesnt list any spark plugs for anything newer than 2009. Also most online vendors list part numbers but they always stop at 09.
Now I was a part guy for years and I understand how they dont always keep up with fitment listings, but this is pretty ridiculous. Also not in my manual.
This is partially a rant about how bad these companies are at selling me products but I am pretty frustrated and need some help.

Thanks in advance guys!
San Francisco, CA, 94103
415-968-9467
kingoftwins is offline   Reply With Quote