ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 06:37 AM   #1
meyer2ay OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Places to learn to ride??? Southern Ohio or NKY

I am looking for a place to go to learn how to ride. I have never ridden a dirt bike before and want to take some sort of beginners class so I can go riding with my friends. Any suggestions? I am located in the Cincinnati area but will travel if it is a one day type class or something similar. Any suggestions are appreciated!
meyer2ay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
Goofy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Hey there and welcome to the forum. When you say that you've never ridden before I assume that you mean any motorcycle. If that is the case then I would recommend Balance Dynamics in Georgetown, KY as a starting point. They will get you on the right track. They are not dirt bike specific but have a great program for beginning riders.

If my assumption is wrong, please disregard everything but the greeting. I wish you all the best in your long riding career.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
meyer2ay OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy1 View Post
Hey there and welcome to the forum. When you say that you've never ridden before I assume that you mean any motorcycle. If that is the case then I would recommend Balance Dynamics in Georgetown, KY as a starting point. They will get you on the right track. They are not dirt bike specific but have a great program for beginning riders.

If my assumption is wrong, please disregard everything but the greeting. I wish you all the best in your long riding career.

Thank you! No you are correct. I have not ridden any motorcyle. My only riding has been done on a bicycle haha. I will check them out, thank you!
meyer2ay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Autobahn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Balance Dynamics is also here in Walton. I've only seen their advertisements so I cannot comment about their training. But I highly recommend MSF training! Many years ago I took the MSF classes through NKU but I am not sure if they still offer them there.

http://www.bdmtc.com/

Autobahn screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 05:00 PM
Autobahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:52 AM   #5
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
MSF also offers classes in Cincinnati, using the vocational school campus facilities in the western and northern parts of the city. However, they usually are filled up by early spring. But....many people sign up early in the year, then fail to show up for their scheduled classes later in the year. There are usually some spots that open up on a standby basis later in the year. Check out the Motorcycle Safety Foundation website for more info. Cost was considerably less at those vs the Walton facility because they had state funding..35.00 v 150.00 for the same course. Might also check out if they still teach a class at Eastern Ky University in Richmond, Ky.

They used to also teach a dirtbike class in Troy, Ohio at the Honda training facility, but I am not sure if they still do that.

Good luck and welcome!
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Goofy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
EKU does still have the classes but are usually booked months in advance. There are also classes here in Frankfort but, again, booked.

To be clear--Balance Dynamics follows the same cirriculum (sp) as the MSF. BD is a for profit whereas MSF isn't. Either one will teach basically the same thing.

These courses are designed to take a student from no experience to basic competency.

The dirtbike school used to be the bomb. According to the website:

http://www.msf-campus.org/CourseLocations.aspx

they still offer them.