User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
HunSolo OP
Mad Monk

Oddometer: 385
Latest date for Heidelberg-Portugal?

I am looking to ride to Portugal from Heidelberg late in the year. I am repositioning my GSA for a March-April trip to Morocco. Any input on the latest date with semi-decent weather possible in the mountains or a good way to avoid them would be appreciated. Don't mind rain so much, but snow in traffic can be tiresome and ice gets old in a hurry. Cold, well, say what you will, it's just not as good as warm.

My window keeps moving back on the calendar. It currently looks like late October at the earliest. How late can I safely leave Heidelberg?

I have been hoping to avoid the Spanish coastal roads, having been there enough, so a sneak through France or across Spain would be my first choice. Ideas and things to see or do en route would be much appreciated. Bike storage spots in Portugal or southern Spain?

Thanks for your help.
HunSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
CourtFisher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunSolo View Post
I am looking to ride to Portugal from Heidelberg late in the year. I am repositioning my GSA for a March-April trip to Morocco. Any input on the latest date with semi-decent weather possible in the mountains or a good way to avoid them would be appreciated. Don't mind rain so much, but snow in traffic can be tiresome and ice gets old in a hurry. Cold, well, say what you will, it's just not as good as warm.

My window keeps moving back on the calendar. It currently looks like late October at the earliest. How late can I safely leave Heidelberg?

I have been hoping to avoid the Spanish coastal roads, having been there enough, so a sneak through France or across Spain would be my first choice. Ideas and things to see or do en route would be much appreciated. Bike storage spots in Portugal or southern Spain?

Thanks for your help.
Go to
http://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:00000.1.10734
(e.g. Heidelberg)
+ any number of waypoints to PT,
check "Weather History & Almanac" for each of waypoints on itinerary.
for range of dates last year that approximates your likely timeframe this year;
Look at the resulting data and make your own decision, recognizing that
climate and weather is particularly uncertain/ changing that time of year
CourtFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
HunSolo OP
Mad Monk

Oddometer: 385
Wink

Thanks, Court. My biggest concerns are:

(1) Being tempted to ride through something stupid to escape from Germany or cross the Pyrenees;

(2) asking my faithful barn help to miss part of the short Oregon elk season that he so eagerly anticipates while I go back to Europe again;

(3) leaving too early and risking having a pillion in the glorious sunshine;

(4) failing to find another semi-plausible excuse besides bad weather to go alone and miss her birthday. Again.

As for the ancient horse fair in Golega the first week in November that I have always wanted to see, which coincides with her birthday...well, who among us doesn't have a few secrets that he'll have to carry to his grave?
HunSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:04 AM   #4
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,480
Quote:

Thanks for your help.
Easy to do. Go here: http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Rou...routeConso=5.6

I checked Heidelberg-Lisbon for info. You can take the autoroutes nearly the whole, boring way.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:20 AM   #5
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
I checked Heidelberg-Lisbon for info. You can take the autoroutes nearly the whole, boring way.
Yum!
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
CourtFisher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Thanks, Court. My biggest concerns are:

(1) Being tempted to ride through something stupid to escape from Germany or cross the Pyrenees;

(2) asking my faithful barn help to miss part of the short Oregon elk season that he so eagerly anticipates while I go back to Europe again;

(3) leaving too early and risking having a pillion in the glorious sunshine;

(4) failing to find another semi-plausible excuse besides bad weather to go alone and miss her birthday. Again.

As for the ancient horse fair in Golega the first week in November that I have always wanted to see, which coincides with her birthday...well, who among us doesn't have a few secrets that he'll have to carry to his grave?
Wow...that's a complicated calculus
CourtFisher is offline   Reply With Quote