User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
browneye OP
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,617
Scorpion EXO R-410 Helmet for Street - Product Report

Since there is basically zilch reported on this helmet I thought I would give a review in the case some of the inmates here might benefit from the 411 on them.

For some time I've been shopping for a new helmet for riding my Tiger XC. I have a AFX FX-39 dualsport helmet that performs satisfactorily for what it is. But it's too noisy and not comfortable enough for long hiway stints. The big advantage of any of the DS helmets is that you can wear regular goggles, then close the shield right over the goggles for hiway or high speed running. I've put about 6K miles on my FX39.

I looked seriously at the Shoei Hornet, even found one new in the box at a super deal. I just love Shoei helmets. But there are just too many complaints about the peak being too short, and that any of the DS helmets are not that great on the road. I'm too cheap to spend the $$ for a Ariai XD and anyway they suffer from the same issues at high hiway speeds and long distances on the road.

I also have an older ZOX road helmet that was cheap when new and has performed quite well over the years. I have about 20K miles on this helmet. ZOX even gets good reviews on webbikeworld. So I finally decided to just get a decent road helmet and some good motorcycle glasses to wear with the shield up for that 10-15% of dirt roads I do with my XC. I also have a flip-face or modular helmet as they call them, an HJC Symax and it's just 'okay'. Not good enough to spend dough on another one. When I bought it the dealer talked me into a medium size when I always wear a large, telling me it should fit snug. Well guess what? It's too damn small, so the wife gets to wear it and it's great for her odd stint on the back of the bike. I decided I wanted a solid full-face helmet as they are purported to be the most quiet and lightest weight.

Now on to the new Scorpion model - EXO R-410...with Snell and DOT approvals.

The new R-410 is an update to the EXO 400 that has been out for awhile from Scorpion. I kept hearing about this brand and that riders were quite happy with them. Middle of the road price, lots of good features, comfortable, most bang for the buck. A common complaint about the old model was the funky shield attach mechanism and that it would pop out, was hard to operate. The R410 has a new quick-attach mechanism that looks more like something you would see on other higher end helmets, more conventional. It works exceptionally well, and has a lever on the left side that will pop the shield out like Shoei does for venting, or going the other way it locks the shield closed.

They also updated the shell, not sure how many sizes, but somewhere I think I heard there is one for each size to keep them properly proportioned, but in any case this size L is very light and aerodynamic.

I have a more narrow head shape than round. A Shoei (I have had several, MX as well as street) always fits me very well, as does an Ariai. This new Scorpion fits absolutely fantastic. It is one of the very most comfortable helmets I have ever tried. The new Bells are really nice, a lot for the $$, but I get a pressure point just above my forehead at the top of my head. This is common for me with most brands. For most of them I have to put extra padding at the top of my head to provide more room for the front of my noggin. Of course a $900 Arai fits just great!

Another great feature are the cheek pads that are shaped to accept glasses. This is a biggie for me because half the time I wear prescription glasses. When I wear my contacts I want to be able to fit those foam-backed bike glasses like Bobsters or Wileys for the off-pavement segments. This helmet is MADE for glasses. While looking at this section of the helmet it's also worth noting that it is setup for a communication system. There are deep pockets for speakers, and of course earbuds will work with plenty of clearance as well. This contrasts from my AFX dualsport helmet - there isn't room for anything between your ears and the internal shell. I have a SENA BT system that will work just great with it, and I often listen to an Ipod with earbuds.

I put a few miles in with it today on my commute - it is really quiet - compared to any other helmet I've tried. I can't compare to a other higher line helmets, but it's lightyears better than anything else I've owned. Including the Symax.

It vents REALLY well. So well I closed the top vents at mid-70 temps because I was getting such a blast of air to the top of my head. This helmet is going to be fantastic when the temps reach high digits. Vents are super easy to operate even with gloves on, simple toggles that are easy to locate. Same for the chin vent - easy up/down vent cover. I've had helmets with vents that were hard to operate even looking right at them without gloves on. This is a real bonus feature for me.

Shields are anti-fog, I ordered a dark tint along with the helmet, carry the clear for the odd nightime ride or when I get caught out. Clarity is outstanding, detents are good, it's easy to operate, all in all as good as expected.

Fit and finish is outstanding, padding is very comfortable, and the fit - oh my, I should have done this a long time ago.

The solid colors run about $160, fancier styles a little more, but this helmet is a genuine bargain. I don't usually post about run of the mill gear, but this helmet is way above and beyond my expectations.

The new EXO R-410 helmet from SCORPION:

browneye screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 06:24 AM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:25 AM   #2
forrestlaw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
That's good to hear. My Scorpion EXO-700 will be due for replacement in a while and I didn't want to spend the money on Shoei or Arai. May have to give this one a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Since there is basically zilch reported on this helmet I thought I would give a review in the case some of the inmates here might benefit from the 411 on them.

For some time I've been shopping for a new helmet for riding my Tiger XC. I have a AFX FX-39 dualsport helmet that performs satisfactorily for what it is. But it's too noisy and not comfortable enough for long hiway stints. The big advantage of any of the DS helmets is that you can wear regular goggles, then close the shield right over the goggles for hiway or high speed running. I've put about 6K miles on my FX39.

I looked seriously at the Shoei Hornet, even found one new in the box at a super deal. I just love Shoei helmets. But there are just too many complaints about the peak being too short, and that any of the DS helmets are not that great on the road. I'm too cheap to spend the $$ for a Ariai XD and anyway they suffer from the same issues at high hiway speeds and long distances on the road.

I also have an older ZOX road helmet that was cheap when new and has performed quite well over the years. I have about 20K miles on this helmet. ZOX even gets good reviews on webbikeworld. So I finally decided to just get a decent road helmet and some good motorcycle glasses to wear with the shield up for that 10-15% of dirt roads I do with my XC. I also have a flip-face or modular helmet as they call them, an HJC Symax and it's just 'okay'. Not good enough to spend dough on another one. When I bought it the dealer talked me into a medium size when I always wear a large, telling me it should fit snug. Well guess what? It's too damn small, so the wife gets to wear it and it's great for her odd stint on the back of the bike. I decided I wanted a solid full-face helmet as they are purported to be the most quiet and lightest weight.

Now on to the new Scorpion model - EXO R-410...with Snell and DOT approvals.

The new R-410 is an update to the R-400 that has been out for awhile from Scorpion. I kept hearing about this brand and that riders were quite happy with them. Middle of the road price, lots of good features, comfortable, most bang for the buck. A common complaint about the old model was the funky shield attach mechanism and that it would pop out, was hard to operate. The R410 has a new quick-attach mechanism that looks more like something you would see on other higher end helmets, more conventional. It works exceptionally well, and has a lever on the left side that will pop the shield out like Shoei does for venting, or going the other way it locks the shield closed.

They also updated the shell, not sure how many sizes, but somewhere I think I heard there is one for each size to keep them properly sized, but in any case it's very light and aerodynamic.

I have a more narrow head shape than round. A Shoei (I have had several, MX as well as street) always fits me very well, as does an Ariai. This new Scorpion fits absolutely fantastic. It is one of the very most comfortable helmets I have ever tried. The new Bells are really nice, a lot for the $$, but I get a pressure point just above my forehead at the top of my head. This is common for me with most brands. For most of them I have to put extra padding at the top of my head to provide more room for the front of my noggin. Of course a $900 Arai fits just great!

Another great feature are the cheek pads that are shaped to accept glasses. This is a biggie for me because half the time I wear prescription glasses. When I wear my contacts I want to be able to fit those foam-backed glasses for off pavement segments. This helmet is MADE for glasses. While looking at this section of the helmet it's also worth noting that it is setup for a communication system. There are deep pockets for speakers, and of course earbuds will work with plenty of clearance as well. This contrasts from my AFX dualsport helmet - there's not room for anything at your ears. I have a SENA system that will work just great with it, and I often listen to an Ipod with earbuds.

I put a few miles on with it today on my commute - it is really quiet - compared to any other helmet I've tried. I can't compare to a other higher line helmets, but it's lightyears better than anything else I've owned. Including the Symax.

It vents REALLY well. So well I closed the top vents at mid-70 temps because I was getting such a blast of air to the top of my head. This helmet is going to be fantastic when the temps reach high digits. Vents are super easy to operate even with gloves on, simple toggles that are easy to locate. Same for the chin vent - easy up/down vent cover. I've had helmets with vents that were hard to operate even looking right at them without gloves on. This is a real bonus feature for me.

Shields are anti-fog, I ordered a dark tint along with the helmet, carry the clear for the odd nightime ride or when I get caught out. Clarity is outstanding, detents are good, it's easy to operate, all in all as good as expected.

Fit and finish is outstanding, padding is very comfortable, and the fit. Oh my, I should have done this a long time ago.

The solid colors run about $160, fancier styles a little more, but this helmet is a genuine bargain. I don't usually post about run of the mill gear, but this helmet is way above and beyond my expectations.

EXO R-410 helmet from SCORPION

Old 06-22-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
browneye OP
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

I had a red SV650S...about 12 years ago. That's a fun bike for the twisties.

It was my first road bike since the 70's. Traded it for a DL1000 V-Strom.That was 2002 I think.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
forrestlaw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
It was/is my first bike. I've had it since new and it's been a fantastic bike so far.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,505
Does sizing run true now, or do you still have to go up one size?
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
Bogfarth
MOTGATT on a Yamahog

Oddometer: 171
Wicked

I've got an EXO-700, too. Plenty comfortable, love the fit, but it is lacking in a few places. My Oakley wire-frame glasses require a bit of force to put on, the vents can be a little loud at freeway speed, aero needs a bit of work as I get some head-shake on a bike with no screen. Looking at the 410, seems I've found my next helmet. Scorpion listened to people: they fixed the leaky visor issue, gave glasses a better fit, added space audio options. I'm diggin' it. But ya wanna know the best part? Huh?? Do ya???

It comes in Hi-Viz!
Old 06-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
browneye OP
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
I would say sizing is right on.

I wear a large and it's snug, but I'd consider it a perfect fit. A medium is just too small in any helmet, although that's what my AFX FX-39 is and they are known to run big. I tried on about 12 different helmets one day, all large, and they were all fine except most hit the top forward part of my head. Shoei, Arai, and the scorpion R410 fit the best. For the money it was a no-brainer.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
Boredsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
I too own a EXO700 - great value. Looked at the 410 as an upgrade, but saw the EXO500 with the built in sun visor and it was all she wrote. The "west" version comes in Hi-Viz too.... great lids for the cash.
Boredsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #9
Roland44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Sizing is perfect now!
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:08 AM   #10
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,746
Thanks for this review. I'm going to be looking for a new helmet. I've got a EXO-700 right now, and though I like it, mine suffers from leaky face shield. I get rain in my face even with the shield closed. The helmet is a few years old and about ready to be replaced.

I'm going to check out the 410.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:34 AM   #11
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

I keep looking at the 410. Watched a few reviews, but they're hard to judge. I've never seen a helmet review from a retailer (like Revzilla) that was anything but positive.

So far my EXO-700 is doing the job.

Anyone have anything negative to say about the 410? Did you buy one and decide there were some things about it you didn't like?

Jamie

Old 08-01-2013, 07:43 AM   #12
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,519
I have a 400, 1000, and 500.

Personally, I love the shield mechanism used on these helmets, and would not buy a 410 unless it's as easy to use. I've never had an issue with the shield coming loose or popping out on any of the Scorpions.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #13
seniorasi
Banned

Oddometer: 816
Exo 1100

The EXO 1100 has served me well and rain has not been an issue thus far. I like the retractable sun shade feature negating the need for glasses. Noise levels in a stiff crosswind (20-30 mph) are unbearable though so do have earplugs on hand if you don't already own/use them.
seniorasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #14
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
I have a 400, 1000, and 500.

Personally, I love the shield mechanism used on these helmets, and would not buy a 410 unless it's as easy to use. I've never had an issue with the shield coming loose or popping out on any of the Scorpions.
Interesting. My experience is very different. That's the one weak spot to me. Since brand new, I've had trouble getting one side of my shield off. The other side seems to function fine.

I called Scorpion, and to their credit they sent me a new side plate, but that didn't fix the problem. I just find the release mechanism to be very fussy. I do think Scorpion suffers (or hopefully used to suffer) from poor quality control. They get mixed opinions online, people complaining that it doesn't seal well while other people say their helmets seal fine.

According to some online video reviews I've watched, the new release mechanism is an improvement, but again, do those guys ever say anything negative about a product?

Wish I knew someone who owned one so I could have a closer look.

Jamie

Old 08-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #15
browneye OP
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Long Term Update

The R410 does have a new and improved sheild mechanism. As I understand it, all models moving forward will be going to this new mechanism. There were complaints on the original and thus a new one was sourced for the new models.

It is one of the more easy ones I have used. I regularly remove my shield to clean the inside - easy-peasy on this one.

I've put a couple of thousand miles on mine now. I have noticed quite a reduction in buffeting with this one compared to my old helmet. That's good news. The only complaint I have is the lowest detent for the sheild is too high - it sits the shield out about an inch. Would be nice if you could crack it about a half inch. The locking tab will also pop it out a bit but it's just not quite enough. Minor really, but there nonetheless. Otherwise it's surpassed my expections.

I have also since added my Sena 5 BT headset. Easy to install and works perfectly. There is a nice indent in the mouth guard where the speaker can sit - no clearance issues with my lips or 'stache. Also deep pockets and a flat mount area for the speakers. You can build up behind the speakers to the perfect thickness to suit your ears.

I got a pair of BOBSTER riding glasses with the foam eye shields. They have photochromic lenses (light sensitive) so they work just fine with the tinted visor. If there's going to be any stop and go in-town riding they work REALLY well with the shield up. Also great for any off pavement riding. And the shield hinges up to become a peak or visor which is the next best thing to an offroad or DS helmet. This is exactly what I wanted this new helmet to do.