ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
jcmcc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Madison WI to MotoGP Indy meetup? aug 16-18

Ill be damned if I miss another one if these so near me. Heres the deal- never been to a motogp event.. was planning on going with some buddies but theyve flaked. I'm going solo either way, but it'd be cool to cruise down with people or at least know some people in the area. I'm leaving Madison friday (the 16th) afternoon around 4pm and slabbing it on my wr250x.. I'm planning on camping but would be willing to go half on a motel. I'd be coming back sunday evening after the main event. Anyone interested???

99 VFR - The right tool for the job (RIP)
jcmcc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
atomic frog
pavement ends, YEAH!

Oddometer: 250
You MUST get there. It is the pinnacle in 2 wheeled motorsports and you will have a blast!!

I was going to pass this year, as I went to the COTA event, but now you have me thinking...... If I can pull off the vacation time I would be willing to go ( I prefer to camp myself).

I'll be in touch.
atomic frog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
jcmcc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hell yeah dude no way am I gonna miss it.. Ive heard too that the nightlife activities are just as fun as the daytime stuff

Old 07-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
Klasjm
R100gs

Oddometer: 2,228
I have the Moto GP penciled in on my calendar. Good chance it will be the last Indy GP.

MotoGP 2013 Indianapolis - questions from a first time attendee

2013 Indianapolis MotoGP Rally (6th Annual) Aug 15-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
Re-Post. I will be holding this ADV rally for the 6th year in a row. My previous thread disappeared. I sent a PM to the mods but I received no response so I am reposting. Please let me know if the previous thread was removed for a reason.

I will be hosting the 6th annual Indianapolis MotoGP ADV campout and bonfire again this year. Last year we had a great turnout and I hope to see some of the same faces again this year. We have a few people who have made every rally.

When:
The race this year is August 18th (Sunday). I will allow free camping on my property (I have several acres, I can accommodate as many as wish to attend) for the week before and after the race.

Where:
6240 W. Ralston Rd
Indianapolis IN, 46221

Food/Cooking: I will be leaving a grill in the camping area which everyone is free to use. I will also have coolers with ice to keep things fresh. ADV coffee is being donated again this year!

Bonfire:
I will be hosting a bonfire again this year. Last year we had a great turnout and lots of food. Keep in mind the city will be putting on a LOT of activities. There will be flat track racing, stunting, drag racing, and more. Since many folks will not be here during the week leading up to the race I will again hold the bonfire Saturday (August 17th) before the race. If you want to attend other activities the bonfire will probably still be going on when you return. For those that want to attend I will be asking for donations so I can put out a spread. Last year we had burgers, brats, hotdogs, salmon, potato salad, chips, veggies, not to mention beer.

Bathrooms: Last year there were nowhere near enough donations for a port-o-let so I'm thinking it will be the same this year. (They are very expensive around here that weekend, go figure). As always the trees and the creek are available. In the past there has never been a problem and I don't anticipate one this year either. People are welcome to come to the house to do their business. There are very nice pay showers at the track as well for those who want them. There is also a truck stop one exit away that was utilized last year for showers.

Race Day:
I will not be attending the race this year, however, I can still lead a bunch of folks to the track on Race Day if it is necessary. The track is less then 10 miles from my home and we made it last year in under 20 minutes. I know a few shortcuts to skip a great deal of the traffic.

If you are coming please post here and I'll try to make a list. I'll also answer any questions. If folks want to donate for the bonfire and cookout early my paypal account is eli at differnet dot org. If I have enough attendees (and donations) I will rent a port-o-let for the camping area.

Hope to see you here!
-GW
Klasjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
HR Puffinstuff
aka hotrod

Oddometer: 149
20 Brickyards in a row

16 iNdY 500

all the F-1 races

all the MotoGP races thus far

various IROC, Pirelli Challenge, etc. support races

i love iNdY

"find what you love, and let it kill ya'" - Kinky Friedman

i ain't dead yet, so i'm planning a solo trip for this race. I've never tripped it alone, but after 20 years, i'm willing to fake it.

Free camping if you want to go in on the porta-crapper. We've been told it'll be about $100, and we're splitting that 3 ways, so far. it's 5 or 6 blocks west of the track, so we normally walk (or stagger, as the case may be) back and forth, no extra parking $.

Do you have a route planned yet?

signed,
Interested in Dekorra.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
Moto da Vinci
Alive & Living

Oddometer: 93
Went for the weekend a couple of years ago and had a blast.

One tip I can offer....a lot of the parking lots will drop the price substantially for motorcycles. It isn't always posted. I got parking right across the street for half off.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:18 PM   #7
jcmcc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The route is all slab.. at least on the way there.. I wanna book it there so I can pitch my tent and then party friday night. On the way back I may wander a bit depending on time.

If I pay the $30 or whatever for a camping spot, wouldn't I be able to leave my cycle and walk to the track (therefore avoiding a second parking fee)? Or are the camping lots super far away?

Old 08-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
HR Puffinstuff
aka hotrod

Oddometer: 149
there are a couple of camping lots close to the track.

we're a bit old-school, we camp in someone's yard, rather than be crammed in like cattle at one of the lots. the closer you are to the track, the more they get for the camping space, generally speaking.

5 or 6 blocks west of the track, so we normally walk (or stagger, as the case may be) back and forth, no extra parking $.

go I-90 instead of 94. the scenery ain't much, but the traffic is better than Milwaukee, and i think it's a few miles shorter, as well.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
dougfromindy
I smell premix

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmcc View Post
The route is all slab.. at least on the way there.. I wanna book it there so I can pitch my tent and then party friday night. On the way back I may wander a bit depending on time.

If I pay the $30 or whatever for a camping spot, wouldn't I be able to leave my cycle and walk to the track (therefore avoiding a second parking fee)? Or are the camping lots super far away?
Its right across the street from the track....you can walk a few hundred feet unless you are too drunk No beer sales on sunday, stock up saturday or pay $8 fosters cans at track. yes, leave the bike at campsite.
dougfromindy is offline   Reply With Quote