ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #76
two trackin fool
Scott

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Hey Scott, are you mostly available on weekends or are you available during the week at all?
PM sent
Old 07-25-2013, 05:15 AM   #77
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by two trackin fool View Post
Well my records do not allow for accurate bragin rights.

All I can saftley say is I'm at 68xx miles & I brought her home in mid November .....
I will have to record starting mileage next year.

You really need "braggin rights categories" on something like this. The retired riders can ride all day ,every day. I was a working guy once too and had all I could do to squeeze in 5 K per year. It gets expensive though..... New KTM in March is already on 4th oil change and second set of tires by July! Needless to say, I change my own tires and I am really good at it.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:25 AM   #78
two trackin fool
Scott

I guess I worded that wrong . Lmao .....
Much better riding weather were you are too !
I ride as much as possible . The cage sits more than runs well until the roads are slop ..
Can't wait to live on the bike !
Keep us informed & enjoy what you worked for !!!!!
Old 07-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #79
the_sandman_454 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Very nice totals so far guys.

2TF, mind talking a little about the 990 now that it has ~7000mi on it? Likes/dislikes, would you buy it again, etc? Are maintenance intervals on KTM bikes really as frequent as I've been reading or is that more the MX/race bikes?

I've been pretty happy overall with the KLR, but it's never too early to start peeking at possible replacements. I'll probably ride it 'til the wheels fall off though, since it does most of what I want to do (except winning any sort of drag race or top speed awards of course ) and it is hard for me to justify trading up just for that.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #80
two trackin fool
Scott

I came off a ' 09 KLR in RED

I had the KLR running pretty good by the time I did the new buy @ 28,000 ish miles did all the engine upgrades crash bars, had her in the woods a couple times great bike . I just wanted more hp 's . I rode her to Deals Gap did fine but needed more seat room for the sleeping bag .
The only reason the buy up happen was because I found a '10 990 on the floor and a dealer that was willing to deal ! I just called to inquire about one next thing I new I was making a road trip to look at one last November .
I don't see a maintenance issue at all ! But I do all my own work always have . Only thing so far is Ive had to up grade my oil preference .The oil I was using couldn't hang in the 990 .

Honestly SO FAR this is the best bike I have owned and I'm not looking at anything else . Problem is not as much free money for farkels now but they will come .........
Also I don't see me getting the 990 into the single track like I did the KLR probley just forest roads BUT I did do a trip with another inmate up to the Gladwin area on the KLR he had a GS1200 we did get into some tighter stuff I would be willing to do with the 990 once it is properly outfitted .

Dislikes.......... Um only thing I can really think of is the friken smoken hot exhaust cans !

I wasn't a big fan of the electric fuel pump & fuel injection for trail fix issues but what do you do . I've been riding way more slab than trail even with the KLR.

two trackin fool screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 10:05 PM
two trackin fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #81
the_sandman_454 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

I had the KLR running pretty good by the time I did the new buy @ 28,000 ish miles did all the engine upgrades crash bars, had her in the woods a couple times great bike . I just wanted more hp 's . I rode her to Deals Gap did fine but needed more seat room for the sleeping bag .
The only reason the buy up happen was because I found a '10 990 on the floor and a dealer that was willing to deal ! I just called to inquire about one next thing I new I was making a road trip to look at one last November .
I don't see a maintenance issue at all ! But I do all my own work always have . Only thing so far is Ive had to up grade my oil preference .The oil I was using couldn't hang in the 990 .

Honestly SO FAR this is the best bike I have owned and I'm not looking at anything else . Problem is not as much free money for farkels now but they will come .........
Also I don't see me getting the 990 into the single track like I did the KLR probley just forest roads BUT I did do a trip with another inmate up to the Gladwin area on the KLR he had a GS1200 we did get into some tighter stuff I would be willing to do with the 990 once it is properly outfitted .

Dislikes.......... Um only thing I can really think of is the friken smoken hot exhaust cans !

I wasn't a big fan of the electric fuel pump & fuel injection for trail fix issues but what do you do . I've been riding way more slab than trail even with the KLR.

Excellent, thank you.

Camping with some friends at Wilson state park today and Friday. What are y'all up to?

On the plus side, found that spending most of the last tank over 65mph, I still averaged 50.9mpg. The 16/40 tooth sprocket combo seems to have helped that significantly. I actually rode a few sand/dirt roads today. Figured I may as well learn how someday.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:31 AM   #82
two trackin fool
Scott

Kids have me tied down Friday & Sat. Hopefully I will have some free weekends coming up soon I'm needing a nice trip somewhere .They have been packed the last month .

I Tried the 17 tooth deal for a while nice top speed but it really killed the fun factor so I settled with the 16 too. Plus it still pulled my trailer fine with the 16.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #83
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sandman_454 View Post
Excellent, thank you.

Camping with some friends at Wilson state park today and Friday. What are y'all up to?

On the plus side, found that spending most of the last tank over 65mph, I still averaged 50.9mpg. The 16/40 tooth sprocket combo seems to have helped that significantly. I actually rode a few sand/dirt roads today. Figured I may as well learn how someday.
Have you done any exploring while you're over there? Like I said, you should go up to Meredith. Lots of two tracking...

My folks have the only place on the water, on the north end of Budd Lake, next to Wilson.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #84
the_sandman_454 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Have you done any exploring while you're over there? Like I said, you should go up to Meredith. Lots of two tracking...

My folks have the only place on the water, on the north end of Budd Lake, next to Wilson.
I still haven't gotten over to Meredith yet. I've just been hanging out at the campgrounds, enjoying some Buffalo Trace bourbon and relaxing. It's 5 o'clock somewhere...
Old 08-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #85
99p38a
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sandman_454 View Post
I still haven't gotten over to Meredith yet. I've just been hanging out at the campgrounds, enjoying some Buffalo Trace bourbon and relaxing. It's 5 o'clock somewhere...

Merideth is great, I love running merideth to leota... On the 1150, it's a nice mix of easy single track and 2 tracks.... good options to by pass single track if you wish also..
99p38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:03 AM   #86
two trackin fool
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99p38a View Post
Merideth is great, I love running merideth to leota... On the 1150, it's a nice mix of easy single track and 2 tracks.... good options to by pass single track if you wish also..

Sounds like I need to map that out !
Old 08-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #87
99p38a
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Sounds like I need to map that out !

I did the denton east ORV route yesterday. It was awesome, you just have to love sand! :) I went on parts of the trail thru there also. I usually go north on the seasonal roads off clarosakee road to get into some trails and then just start meandering thru. It's just north of Elbow lake.

I use VVMapping GPS routes to help me find my way around, it's a must.
99p38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:42 AM   #88
two trackin fool
Scott

Ok thanks

I have the Vv map book but my gps maps are from the CCC so far they gave been good . I will check it out, I would really like to do some mello trails this season . I'm planing to have the trail armor purchased this winter .....
Old 08-09-2013, 04:45 AM   #89
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,304
Quote:

1. Buy and carry a spare fuel pump. They are light and small.

2. Change the fuel filter often. Light and cheap.

3. All that nonsense about KTMs being unreliable comes from the old days.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #90
two trackin fool
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
1. Buy and carry a spare fuel pump. They are light and small.

2. Change the fuel filter often. Light and cheap.

3. All that nonsense about KTMs being unreliable comes from the old days.
Thanks I was kinda wondering about fuel pump life expectancie . I was thinking filter service every end of season when ever that falls ...........