Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2013, 03:32 AM   #61
novaboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Awesome, would love to get a Ural to take my chocolate lab with me on my travels.
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #62
tshelfer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Great story - keep it coming.

One question. I note that most of your camping is boondock style. What are you doing about potable water in camp?
tshelfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #63
rebelpacket OP
four-stroke earth-saw

Oddometer: 724
Day 6

A humid morning broke over our quiet camp, and I debated my options. With only had around 100 miles to ride to Kalispell, I had reserved a hotel room for “one last hurrah” before the real start of the CDT. I still had to flip on the two knobby tires I’d carried from Colorado for the start of the ride. Its a well known fact that flipping tires in an air-conditioned hotel room floor beats doing it on a picnic table while swatting mosquitos.

Heading north on 83 is a straight shot north through the Flathead National forest. Dense forest line both sides of the road, offering only brief glimpses of scenic beauty around it. Occasionally the view would present itself through a meadow or some cleared cattle land.

Since I had all day to go 100 miles, I chose to explore some national forest roads to kill some time.

We stopped mid-morning in a clearing to enjoy a brief continental breakfast. No more gas station burritos for me; I kept it classy with an apple and a clif bar. Lola got a few treats and a nice sunny nap.

As we got closer to Kalispell, the forest receded into farmlands, which gave us nice (albeit distant) views of the mountain ranges. Peter Egan once wrote that “Montana is the land of mountains which are forever fifty miles away”. I think there is some truth in that.

By 2:00pm, we rolled down the main drag in Kalispell, looking for the Best Value Inn. When we finally found it, I asked for an early check-in. The clerk at the front-desk was steadfast. “You can check in at 3:00pm. No earlier”.

Instead of sitting outside of the hotel like vagrants, we decided to sit around the public park like vagrants. I laid down and took a nap, while Lola kept a close eye on anyone that got too close to the Ural.

When 3:00pm finally rolled around my wristwatch, we loaded back up to the hotel and checked in. I spent the night watching truly terrible movies on the television and stuffing delivery pizza in my mouth. I changed the two tires on a tarp laid out on the floor, and went to bed early.

Days mileage: 122 miles
Total mileage: 1084 miles
Old 08-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #64
rebelpacket OP
four-stroke earth-saw

Day 7

Maybe it was the beds at the Best Value Inn, or perhaps the anticipation of starting the route that led to a fitful night of sleep. The silver lining was the breakfast bar at 5:30am that morning. Pristine, clean and organized, like it had just been laid out for me. I was able to casually enjoy some pancakes, eggs and a cup of coffee before any other guests awoke.

I’m not sure if its the left-over viking blood in our veins, or just the layout of our culture. Lodgers waking up in hotels, charge into the breakfast room, tiny plastic forks and knives raised, elbows out, ready for blood. Eating voraciously with singular purpose; Get the good food, before it all runs out. The sad dejected look of those who arrive too late, and are left only a fossilized apple turnover, or a stale slice of rye.

The plan was to meet Zina and Wayne at the border station outside Eureka at 3:00pm, which gave me 4 hours to do 60 miles. I again referenced my Gazetteer maps to burn a little time.

This is the only photo I got of one of these butterflies that wasn’t smashed up to bits, or slow-roasted “well done” between the cooling fins of the Urals cylinders.

A little past 3:00pm, we rolled into the border. I saw Zina, Wayne and Simon, and did my best Valentino Rossi fist pump in the air. A little premature, this being the starting line and all. It felt right in the moment.

Three humans, two dogs, and seven wheels at the Canadian border. Now the fun can really begin. Wayne and Zina wanted to find a camp site right off, so they could dispose of their worn TrailWings, and spoon on some knobs.

After searching fruitlessly for some marked campgrounds on the Gazetteer, we doubled back to Rexford, where Wayne and Zina said they had seen a viable campground. It seemed more like an RV parking area than a campground, but with sturdy picnic tables and running water, we’d certainly make do.

Changing tires is one of those communal shit-jobs where everyone pitches in. Doesn’t matter who you are, if a rider sees tire irons in your hand, they immediately stop and pull over to help. No words need to be exchanged, the commiseration of arm wrestling stiff, sticky beads over metal hoops is well known across all languages and cultures.

Wayne is pretty good at flipping skins on his own, so my only real contribution was the scissor-jack I had packed along. A luxury for those traveling by motorcycle, but a requirement for those on a Ural. Sure, you can tip the Ural over in a ditch to take the sidecar wheel off. But you lose major cool points when you get stuck in the ditch.

Zina and Wayne made a special ramen noodle dish they lived off on the TAT, while I made one of my freeze-dried meals I had brought along. Some picture off-loading, and general conversation about the next day, and we turned in early for the night.

With tomorrow mornings waxing sunlight, the promise of dirt, dust and grit between our teeth would be fulfilled, and the journey officially begin.

Days mileage: 78 miles
Total mileage: 1162 miles
Old 08-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #65
rebelpacket OP
four-stroke earth-saw

Thanks for all the compliments folks; I'm very happy that so many of you are riding along, and enjoying the tales!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus83 View Post
Not being nit-picky, but I think what he had said was probably "dasveedanya" which means "goodbye."
There was another syllable on what he said, that I couldn't pick out. He had a big smile, and gave an enthusiastic wave when he left. As far as omnipresent "good signs", I figured meeting a Russian guy near the start was up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
BTW, props for the Bruins hat! Are you from Boston?
Originally from Connecticut. After the Whalers went under, I chose the Bruins. As you can tell from the color of my dog, I'm all about the black 'n gold. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelfer View Post
Great story - keep it coming.
One question. I note that most of your camping is boondock style. What are you doing about potable water in camp?
In the nose of the sidecar, I have a backpack with my laptop, clothes and toiletries, as well as a 3 1/2 gallon water jug. In addition, I rode with a 2L camelback, which I filled from the jug throughout the day. Lola will drink right from the camelback, so it takes care of water for both of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilmo View Post
My wife also now wants a Ural, not sure if its because she wants to ride in it with me, or wants to get another Dog (our aged Lab passed on last year). Pet travel should be the basis of Ural's next ad campaign. Love the report.
Sorry to hear about your aged Lab; Here's to hoping you two can find another dog that you can take on great adventures. Obviously starting a puppy out would be best, but considering Lola was 9 years old when she first started riding, I think you can teach old dogs new tricks!
Old 08-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #66
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,023
Making me seriously question the ad I just placed for my Tourist in the flea market...

Great report!

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #67
LethPhaos
brb

Oddometer: 487
what software do you use to take screenshots off for your maps?
LethPhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #68
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2o_snow View Post
Actually, that was a paddle.

Mt ex wife was an oar and she didn't look anything like that!
That is f'ing funny!!

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #69
olderigetfasteriam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Great!
olderigetfasteriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:37 AM   #70
Blue Mule
Persistent Slacker

Oddometer: 1,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelpacket View Post
Thanks for all the compliments folks; I'm very happy that so many of you are riding along, and enjoying the tales!!
I'm just here for the Dog tales!

Got a soft spot for Rotties... this is Roxy. best dog i've ever had, Lola reminds me of her.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #71
Byork
Novice

Oddometer: 340
Awesome ride! The pictures have been great. If we had some terrain out here I'd have a Ural. Looks like it's treating you and your dog well
Old 08-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #72
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,126
as much crap as I talk about Urals this is making me want to get one
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:43 AM   #73
acidman1968
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Excellent RR so far - and it's definitely a wonderful distraction from work! Ride safely, enjoy the trip, and take (and share) many pictures of the travel!

acidman1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:09 AM   #74
mountaineer
Explorer.

Oddometer: 68
One of the best ways to travel!
Thank you for sharing.
mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:25 AM   #75
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

Oddometer: 3,278