Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #16
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by ve6kjp View Post
And I can't get the TPS sensor separately - I have to buy the whole TB - the part number is discontinued (thanks KTM for not supporting).
It's a standard part, do enough google and/or cross referencing and I'll bet you find it.

Quote:
I just can't understand why this is intermittent - one would think voltage levels would be consistent if nothing else changes.
I can't explain why, but my problems were intermittent with a 6.6 to 6.8v range (cold to hot).

Quote:
And the KTM dealer insists that it's not the tune... and wouldn't change it back... in fact they probably don't even remember what the tune was when I brought it in. And the only other local KTM dealer simply said its the throttle body - change it.
Technically they are right, it's not the tune. But changing a tune when the TPS and TB sync are out seems to cause no end of problems. So IF it is that, going back to the origional tune will more than lightly cause you some issues.
Sheep Shagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #17
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencergt66 View Post
Make sure the tps is reading 0.6-0.7volts key on engine off.
5.0 to 6.0v on the 06-08 model in my manual. and when engine is hot, is preferred. Above 0.6 causes me problems.

Sheep Shagger screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 06:21 PM
Old 07-31-2013, 06:23 PM   #18
ve6kjp OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I think I'm going to try and replace the TPS sensor, and get the tuneECU. However, it appears that the US won't ship KTM original parts for the fuel system internationally. I'm thinking the US spec bike is different from the Canadian spec - and KTM doesn't want to try and figure out what the differences are Does anyone know if US and Canadian bikes are different?

However, I read on here somewhere that a 2011 TPS sensor is the same.

And my expensive paperweight continues to sit in the garage LOL.

Thanks VERY MUCH for all the responses. I learned a lot by lurking, and now am learning more by just finally posting
ve6kjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #19
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Quote:
I think I'm going to try and replace the TPS sensor, and get the tuneECU. However, it appears that the US won't ship KTM original parts for the fuel system internationally. I'm thinking the US spec bike is different from the Canadian spec - and KTM doesn't want to try and figure out what the differences are Does anyone know if US and Canadian bikes are different?

However, I read on here somewhere that a 2011 TPS sensor is the same.

And my expensive paperweight continues to sit in the garage LOL.

Thanks VERY MUCH for all the responses. I learned a lot by lurking, and now am learning more by just finally posting
Don't waste your money on a TPS sensor just yet. I'll bet you a beer it just needs to be adjusted. The dealer "should" be able to do that for you, and even check it's in-spec by just plugging the KTM computer and taking a reading. (few mins labor). Or if you have a multimeter you can check it at the front wiring harness behind the headlight I believe, (you'll need to search that one some more)

TPS censor has an adjustment on it just like a set of points / timing on a distributor, it's not a plug and play item like an normal censor, it's a plug, adjust setting correctly, and play.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #20
Rideimal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Shagger View Post
Don't waste your money on a TPS sensor just yet. I'll bet you a beer it just needs to be adjusted.

TPS censor has an adjustment on it just like a set of points / timing on a distributor, it's not a plug and play item like an normal censor, it's a plug, adjust setting correctly, and play.
I agree. If you replace the TPS with a new one you'll still have to set it correctly, and so you'll still have to get TuneECU or have a dealer do it. Better to save your money until you're sure that your TPS is bad, which it probably isn't.

And don't bother reading through the TuneECU thread - the vast majority of it is unnecessary. The software allows you to do some complicated things (e.g. tweak your FI map), but what you'll be doing - tps, throttle bodies, throttle cables - is really straightforward.
Rideimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #21
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
TPS tells the stepper motor to keep it on idle, so either your TPS value is wrong or the stepper motor is glitchy.

Sync the throttle bodies and reset the TPS to the right value.

The bike is awesome, the 990 KTM injection is just rubbish.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #22
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 5,814
And if you need that part you can ship it to me in California and I will forward it to you..
Tim
Old 08-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #23
pne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
sorry to hear about your problems. Wish I could help you out I am in Edmonton as well but the KTM dealers here are not exactly the best. Are you trying riverside in St Albert? Don't even bother with cycleworks they are idiots.

I know there is at least one guy in town here with a tuneecu cable that he might be willing to loan or sell. It really sounds like a TPS issue to me as well.

I had a stalling issue in 1st - 2nd which turned out to be dirty injectors, a bottle of fuel injector cleaner fixed it for me.

For ordering parts try munn racing.

A lot of places in the states say they will not ship KTM parts to Canada. KTM requires them to say this. KTM wants us to go thru KTM Canada distributors and get ripped off for pricing. But its worth calling any place you plan to order online from to check.
pne is offline   Reply With Quote