User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
SFaikel OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Fork Reflector Alternatives

Last year I bought a 1981 R100RS to build into a customized daily driver. Since then I've been ridiculously busy with work, but now it's time to start working on the bike! It's overall in great condition, less than 30k original miles, ran superbly, etc. I've removed the fairing and will be fitting a new rear subframe with custom rear suspension and under seat exhaust among a few other things. It should be a really fun project and now that my other bike, a Ducati 1098, has been out of service the past few months I really can't wait to get it back on the road!

This forum has been extremely helpful in helping me find answers to many of the questions I've had already, so thank you all for that! But one thing I have been trying to figure out is this alternative to the reflectors on the front forks. Every once in a while I see pictures of old airheads with the letters BMW on the side of the fork in that area. Having never seen this in person, I'm not sure if it is just some sort of decal that can be placed there, or perhaps it's part of the fork itself? If there is a decal or plaque that I can put there after removing the reflectors, does anyone have a lead on where to find them?

I tried posting an image of it but I'm guessing the forum permissions won't let me because of how few posts I've made. But if you google "deuxieme by moto sumisura", that bike has what I'm describing.

Thank you so much for your help!
SFaikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:58 AM   #2
Arkwright
Grumpy ole Git

Oddometer: 101
If I remember correctly they're badges off rear panniers.

Alternatively remove the sliders, roughly grind off the reflector castings, finish them off in a lathe, then paint them, works alright!
R80 G/S (81)
R100 GSPD (92)
Arkwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:36 AM   #3
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,365
yep, emblems off bmw bags, had them on my r65ls forks.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
Tankad
Pure Shenanigans

Oddometer: 87
Not my bike.... but I think this is what you want.

the reflector comes from these bags...

it only works on /7 and new front forks because of the casting.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,961
The reflectors are part of the safety equipment of the bike. An inspection station might catch it or an astute cop even could give a ticket for something like this.

Of course Laws vary and sometimes the cops don't seem to care anyway. A few years ago they had a hard on for youngsters around here that had Blue LED windshield washer nozzles on their hood. They looked sort of cool but the Law here says civilians aren't allowed to use Blue Lights, it was seen as drivers impersonating Law Officers. Several cars got towed and several drivers got tickets and all the Blue Light Washer Nozzles disappeared in several days.

If you were involved in an accident with a car that ran a stop sign in some jurisdictions and didn't have amber reflectors on the front then the other driver would be able to prove "contributory negligence" and may get out of paying you because you didn't have the proper reflectors. Depends on the Laws where the accident happened.

Good Luck with it.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
r60man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
I would check with safety inspection as stated above before you make the switch. I know around here I could get my R75 passed with no turn signals as most of the Harley guys take them off. But the second town down was impounding bikes without turn signals and scored big time. The two bike shops in the area had their Inspection licenses yanked, even though they insisted the signals were there when they inspected it.

Just know your area and the police in your area before you make a cool change that will cost you a big chunk of change.

Speed doesn't kill anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Jeremy Clarkson
r60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
SFaikel OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
That is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for the tip.

Disston and R60man, you bring up a very solid point. I was hit while going through a roundabout in my car last year (other car failed to yield to me), and the insurance adjuster that came to look at it was looking for any excuse to not have to pay out. I'll have to do some checking around to make sure this doesn't become a nightmare in the future. Thanks!

1981 BMW R100RS
1979 Honda CX500
2007 Ducati 1098
SFaikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:36 AM   #8
victorlaszlo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
If you are really worried about the reflectors get some black reflective 3M tape and add below the BMW badges on the forks, could even increase the reflective area ;)

Are other bikes having these reflectives on their forks or is it a BMW only safety equipment?

Can you buy the badges as spare parts through your dealer rather than butchering your panniers? :)

/.v

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFaikel View Post
That is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for the tip.

Disston and R60man, you bring up a very solid point. I was hit while going through a roundabout in my car last year (other car failed to yield to me), and the insurance adjuster that came to look at it was looking for any excuse to not have to pay out. I'll have to do some checking around to make sure this doesn't become a nightmare in the future. Thanks!
victorlaszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:39 AM   #9
Moonshiner
aka "B-dog"

Oddometer: 183
My '77 RS had no reflectors on the forks when I bought it back in 2000. It still doesn't. We have no motor vehicle inspection in Minnesota, so I'm not concerned about getting cited or anything.

I had a set of those bags that went through a highway circus act. I gave them away to a guy who wanted the hardware. It never occurred to me to remove the BMW badges or the reflectors, which were still unbroken. I like the looks of the "BMW" on the forks.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #10
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
Side reflectors were a US requirement, iv seen them on some US model british bikes as well.

I think that they are a good thing, they are situated nice and low so car headlamps on low beam will pick them up.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:11 AM   #11
victorlaszlo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
Side reflectors were a US requirement, iv seen them on some US model british bikes as well.

I think that they are a good thing, they are situated nice and low so car headlamps on low beam will pick them up.

Mine, an UK -83 RS, has them:

Considering that British riders dress like christmas trees in neon high viz and reflective gear I doubt these can be seen against that backdrop
victorlaszlo is offline   Reply With Quote