Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 12:22 AM   #61
tx_medic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
250/yr! Holy crap, I was just quoted a premium 4x that! I must be doing something wrong...
Old 07-17-2013, 05:43 AM   #62
furbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_medic View Post
250/yr! Holy crap, I was just quoted a premium 4x that! I must be doing something wrong...
Doc,

Wilkomen in Deutshland. I find myself in the K town area regularly as it's my HQ. I usually ride up on an 05 Kwak Concours over the Alps from Italy to get there...so not so bad.

By SOFA, Americans are required to carry a HUGE amount of liability insurance because we ....um....cause lots of accidents.

So, yeah, USAA & GEICO will write you a policy, but they have to have a German company underwirte it....so you pay the piper twice. A good thing about USAA, is that during the winter you can put the bike in storage and not carry insurance without actually cancelling your policy which would void your USAREUR registration.

As you've no doubt discovered, USAREUR's licensing and registration policies are desinged to provide make work for locals, not to ensure motorcycle competence or safety (unlike the actual German system)

It will be worth it tho - you've got the Pfalzerwald at your back door (please dont become a Johannes Kreuz statistic), the Odenwald an hour East and the whole Schwarzwald & Schwabisch Alb a couple hours South. N Joy.
furbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:50 AM   #63
WEEZAR
n00b

Oddometer: 9
So have you gotten some good ridding in with the nice weather we have had?
WEEZAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #64
thepopeofchilitown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxNix View Post
Doc- Welcome! Unless you want to join a motorcross club or trailer your bikes out of Germany to ride offroad, leave the off-road bikes in the U.S.

Germany has the largest tree-hugger population in the world and off road ist verbotten! (Herman the German's favorite saying)

The Tiger will be great over here.
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I've got a question about what was said about off-road riding. A few people on this site have said that the Germans look down on off-road riding, but nothing specific. I live over by Spangdahlem AB, about an hour from you tx_medic, and there are dozens off logging trails within a few kilometers of my house. I really want to explore back there and see what my bike can do, but I'm not trying to break too many laws here. I don't want to wheelie across the locals' farmland, but the dirt trails through the forest are enticing. Anyone have any advice/input on this?

Ok, to bring us back to topic: hope you're enjoying Kaiserslautern. I've been there a few times TDY and when I ordered/picked-up my motorcycle. I'm kinda glad I live off in the boondocks, Kaiserslautern is like little America!
thepopeofchilitown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #65
sfwo79
euroromper

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepopeofchilitown View Post
I really want to explore back there and see what my bike can do, but I'm not trying to break too many laws here. I don't want to wheelie across the locals' farmland, but the dirt trails through the forest are enticing.
If you live out in boonies, you can get away with running the roads as long as you keep it very low key. Don't go on the weekends when walkers and hunters are likely to be in the woods. Avoid farmers and foresters or just putt on past them and drive on. If you go in a certain area often, the locals will know about it. Think stealth mode.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #66
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepopeofchilitown View Post
II don't want to wheelie across the locals' farmland, but the dirt trails through the forest are enticing. Anyone have any advice/input on this?
Official answer: obey the national Bundeswaldgesetz and the individual federal states Landeswaldgesetz(e).
Generally: no motorized vehicles!
Even if forest workers make much more noise and damage with their trucks and work machines, you might pay a fine just because of breaking the law.
(Forest is always someones property.)
Inofficial: If you ride a prohibited road and meet some walkers then slow down and give way. Recreation seekers won't bother. The ranger isn't used to administrative fines and paperwork will probably only advise you.

There are still a few legal/public gravel roads. And some tarmac roads which would nearly qualify as offroad.
alicethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #67
Shane007
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicethomas View Post
There are still a few legal/public gravel roads. And some tarmac roads which would nearly qualify as offroad.
Where?
Shane007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:07 AM   #68
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
PN send. (Should remain an insiders tip, if every day a hundred riders would fuss around, the roads would be closed.)
alicethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #69
thepopeofchilitown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicethomas View Post
Official answer: obey the national Bundeswaldgesetz and the individual federal states Landeswaldgesetz(e).
Generally: no motorized vehicles!
Even if forest workers make much more noise and damage with their trucks and work machines, you might pay a fine just because of breaking the law.
(Forest is always someones property.)
Inofficial: If you ride a prohibited road and meet some walkers then slow down and give way. Recreation seekers won't bother. The ranger isn't used to administrative fines and paperwork will probably only advise you.

That's just about the answer I was expecting. I'd seen a few cars using the trails and was confused about the rules. I'm not trying to be a jerk to the locals. I'll keep an eye out for the public gravel roads.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:57 AM   #70
kurtphyre
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Mirascon charges me 117 Euro a month for full coverage on my Tiger 800 XC. It's 20 Euro a month for liability only.

Have you had any luck finding cheap, full coverage insurance? I'm not AD so I can't get USAA.
kurtphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:27 AM   #71
tx_medic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have not, but it sounds like I should look at your guys, too.

I'm selling off our third car. Once she's gone I'll be a ,e to register and insure the tiger.n can't wait!!!
Old 03-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #72
spacemanvt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Hi everyone, I am in Stuttgart... going up to Ktown next week and was wondering about some good routes to there... I heard there was some good roads up from karlsruhe up towards k town... any ideas?

thanks!
spacemanvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:26 AM   #73
tx_medic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Check out the Trippstadt and Johanaskurtz areas. Also, check my spelling because I know that's wrong. Both these towns are south of Ktown and there are some really great routes there. Also, anything south and east of Ktown should be fun.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #74
pubetmaster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Corectly it's Johanniskreuz
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_medic View Post
Check out the Trippstadt and Johanaskurtz areas. Also, check my spelling because I know that's wrong. Both these towns are south of Ktown and there are some really great routes there. Also, anything south and east of Ktown should be fun.
pubetmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:13 PM   #75
tx_medic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes, thanks! I didn't have the means to look it up.