Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 02:34 AM   #1
munsey8 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Euro trip on a Vespa

How are we all?

I'm planning a trip around Europe on a Vespa PX200. I know it doesn't seem like the ideal bike for it but I want the trip to be a bit different. I do have a 990 adventure so most will think I'm a bit mad for not using that!

I wondered if any one had any ideas on daily budget? On the basis I will camp 99.9% of the time and won't require fancy camp sites (with pools and bars and playgrounds etc) I've seen a lot of people saying ~50 a day but these seem to be people staying in hostels/hotels/B&B's.

Please bare in mind I am still researching and looking on other posts/forums(not being lazy) but I just wanted to ask the brilliant Adv Rider forum as well :)

Cheers
munsey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
pip_muenster
curious

Oddometer: 416
Assuming that we're talking about official camp sites, I'd guess prices may be around 12-16 EUR for your bike, a tent and yourself. You may see 6 EUR or 20 EUR here and there occasionally, depending on the location. Prices for food etc. depend more on your preferences than anything else.
In my eyes the best way to save money, without becoming dependent on bookings, is to do some research online and create a shortlist of affordable addresses and phone numbers to take with you. I typically forget that, find a camp site at dusk, only to figure out at dawn that a nicer and cheaper site had just been around the corner ...

By the way, I love the idea to take the PX. Mine never did more than daytrips, but I know a few people who traveled accross the alps on Vespas. This photo was taken on Iceland ...

(PS: Is a travel-Vespa complete without a caffettiera?)
Old 07-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
munsey8 OP
Adventurer

Hey Pip, thanks for the info on camp sites prices. It's really helpful, food wise, I'm kinda easy to please so sausages, chicken, burgers etc I'd be happy about. lol! I also have a Zumo 660 sat nav which has tonnes of places to stay built in. I will still do some more research as I'm sure it will not have the nice quiet spots built in.

I think the PX will make the trip a bit more different and special. Depending on money I am thinking about heading all the way to Australia. I will paint the vespa orange and black and write KTM down the side as a bit of a pi** take lol! I think a PX will make the trip much more memorable.

I plan to convert the PX to single seat and have some sort of "long range fuel tank" fitted/modified. It's way to small standard!

PS I'm loving your Cafeteria edition PX
Old 07-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
IslandMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
As an ex-scooterist (Lambrettas - a long time ago) I hope you do a ride report.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
munsey8 OP
Adventurer

Hi Monkey, That would be my plan, I'd like to share the crazy road trip with everyone. At the moment it's just a dream but it's dawning on me that it could be my reality before I know it!

I decided instead of KTM down the side it will be ' KT'UM? ' as in Um why is this vespa doing this trip! lol!
Old 07-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
IslandMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Good one , although I'm sure the Vespa will do fine.

Have you seen this thread? I've just come across it and it may be of interest to you. Good luck and please do write up an RR (even though I'm too lazy to ever do one).

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=902751
Old 07-12-2013, 12:31 AM   #7
roadspirit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Campground prices vary and depend on the country and on the touristic attraction of specific cities/places.

2009: on a road trip from Greece to Italy to south France and north Spain (the entire Pyreness mounntain range), camping per person+tent+motorcycle cost per average 8 euros! There were some expensive ones, like in San Sebastian (Donostia) which cost 15 euros, and in Sienna, Italy, which cost 19 euros.

2010: road trip from Greece to Norway, Sweden , Finland. The average price for the 3 scandinavian countries was 20 euros per person+tent+moto.

south america trip
roadspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
pip_muenster
curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by munsey8 View Post
PS I'm loving your Cafeteria edition PX
Unfortunately, that belonged to someone else. I did Iceland on the most stereotypical of all travel bikes, a GS ...
Old 07-13-2013, 05:04 AM   #9
Montford
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
A good read on the subject is 'Vroom with a view',by Peter Moore,about a tour of Italy on a 61 Vespa PX125,

I ran a 93 PX200 myself for a few years as a commuter and runabout for about 30k miles with only exhausts,tyres and wheel bearing replacements.

I think the PX is a great choice for a leisurely tour and no problem with spares anywhere in Europe.
Montford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:41 AM   #10
munsey8 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

@ Montford, thats good news you had to replace hardly anything! I've been swinging back and forth trying to decide whether going to Australia will be on the PX or my 990 Adv better. 990 will handle the crappy roads better but if I fall off in wet mud I will struggle to get her back up on my own (on the dry its ok but wet mud wont be for me) the PX is superlight and I'd just have to take the crappier roads slower.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #11
pip_muenster
curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by munsey8 View Post
I've been swinging back and forth trying to decide whether going to Australia will be on the PX or my 990 Adv better.
One thing to keep in mind is that most bikes take a beating on trips like that. Apart from the milage, and the bumpy roads, there may be roadside repairs with inadequate tools, etc. - I would think twice before buying a bike which had been halfway around the planet. The PX would probably loose much less value.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #12
V Saarela
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Ive count once(motorcycle). From northern Sweden, via french alps to Nice. From there I turned east to Italy, Switzerland, Austria etc and home.

Ten days 8000kms. Fuel average about 4,2 litre/100 kms. It cost me totaly 950 euro which means 95 euro/day.

Getting the amount down:
Fuel: 500 euro
Ferrys Denmark and Germany 130 euro
Left is: 320 euro which gives me 32 euro/day to spend

How do I then live?
-Ride about 12-14 hours/day. I like to take a beer every evening, but when riding long days you are to tired to drink lot of it.
- overnight in tent
- I do my own cooking. One meal at the evening. I bring my food with me(its included in the 950 euro) Daytime I live on coffe, bread, cumumber, tomato etc. Bread etc I buy on my way.

You can then count from that your budget. I like it this way, ride day a long. Sometimes i buy a pizza, sometimes Im tired an wet, so I book a hotel or what ever with a roof....
Old 07-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
munsey8 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for all the replies guys. Some awesome information that i will definitely take into consideration planning this trip.

Cheers
Old 07-22-2013, 01:33 AM   #14
Paul_M
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
If you're coming through Antwerp, feel free to stay for a night at our place.. 50 euro's saved ;-)
Paul_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #15
sfwo79
euroromper

Oddometer: 90
Bravo

Awesome to see AdvRiders with great support for a Vespa ride. I love renting them when I go on beach vacations.