ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #16
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangai View Post
my bike will idle at 1,100 RPM all day and never dies—cold or hot.
Whats the point of idling so low?

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #17
Frog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
The Idle should be set at 1400 rpm.

My 950 used to do this a lot, a full service including valves (6 of 8 were out), pilot air screws were way off spec reset to 2 1/4 turns out, balanced carbs which were miles out, took off SAS and EPC.

Now runs perfectly, all the stalling gone away, could'nt tell you which single item caused it, but if I had to speculate I'd go for pilot screws then carb balance, followed by valves followed by SAS. Or all in combination.

Bottom line, I think you just need a good service.
Frog uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #18
rubRsidedown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,700
Once again thanks guys.

Whats strange is this started this season out of the blue.
My 950 has some 31000 miles on it.
Serviced from top to bottom on a regular basis, oil changes, valves checked etc...

I'm leaning towards the fuel thing.
Like I stated earlier, I'll start with the easier things first and go on down the list from there.
(I like the KISS method,
Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Not sure when I will be performing all this stuff but it will get some serious attention VERY soon. (unless the Mrs. wants to keep running the boat and work does't start leaving me alone soon)

Once again thank you all for your advice.
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #19
Tangai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo.Ramos View Post
Whats the point of idling so low?
There's no point in it idling so fast (at 1,400 RPM) if it will idle perfectly at 1,100 without stalling. The bike will run cooler at a lower idle speed.

These bikes have a relatively light flywheel weight effect and have a tendency to stall at low speeds—so KTM suggest a high idle speed. In their thinking it’s safer. The higher the idle speed, the less likely the bike is to stall at takeoff or while waiting at a traffic light. Both can be dangerous. I don’t have a problem with either, with my 950, so I get by with a low idle speed.

Before I “resynchronized” my carbs (as I described) I ran a high idle speed (even 2,000 RPM) but it would still die every once in a while. Very aggravating.

My point is not to argue with anyone, you can set your idle where you want and what works for you—is the best. But, before discrediting what I suggested, [rbuRsidedown] might give it a try. It’s far easier than replacing jets or cleaning the carbs, and I bet it will work.
Tangai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #20
rubRsidedown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangai View Post
There's no point in it idling so fast (at 1,400 RPM) if it will idle perfectly at 1,100 without stalling. The bike will run cooler at a lower idle speed.

These bikes have a relatively light flywheel weight effect and have a tendency to stall at low speeds—so KTM suggest a high idle speed. In their thinking it’s safer. The higher the idle speed, the less likely the bike is to stall at takeoff or while waiting at a traffic light. Both can be dangerous. I don’t have a problem with either, with my 950, so I get by with a low idle speed.

Before I “resynchronized” my carbs (as I described) I ran a high idle speed (even 2,000 RPM) but it would still die every once in a while. Very aggravating.

My point is not to argue with anyone, you can set your idle where you want and what works for you—is the best. But, before discrediting what I suggested, [rbuRsidedown] might give it a try. It’s far easier than replacing jets or cleaning the carbs, and I bet it will work.
Will do, thanks!

;)

Sent via my New England Telephone™ rotary dial device
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #21
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Hmm, i might try that aswell.

thx for the info.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is online now   Reply With Quote