Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #16
hasenwerk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Have a great trip - I am really interested in how the 41T sprocket works out for you on the highway and the gravel as I am about to try the same.

ADVRIDER Discount: BMW F650 GS & Dakar / G650 GS & Sertao "Adventure Extender" 6L / 1.6gal Auxiliary Fuel Tanks
hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #17
ccoldwell
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Good luck keep dry!

Just met you this morning at clover point as you launched! The bike looked great pulling away all loaded up. An arctic trip is definitely in my future as I said, so I'll be following you to see how you get on.

You sure looked happy brother, ride on! Safe return - I'll buy you a few beers when you get back in exchange for stories.
ccoldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #18
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Good luck, and have a safe fun time, Tropic!
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #19
RACINGTHESUN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Good luck

Will be following along, keep us posted
RACINGTHESUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:07 AM   #20
Yukon Jon
Perma-lurker

Oddometer: 16
Off to a solid start, good luck, if you need anything when you're passing through the Yukon, drop a line.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:06 AM   #21
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
SPOT check in - Safe for the night message

Anybody out there know how to use a SPOT? I thought it was supposed to leave a track behind as you go along?

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:04 AM   #22
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,964

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #23
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 839
Decided to get a shot at Clover point in the rain before leaving, met a new inmate, thanks for the beer offer, buddy!

Glad I waited till later to get out of the city, with it having not rained in a month, the roads were a foam pit, sure enough, there was an accident on the Malahat. The most dangerous part of the journey is over!

I got just past Pemberton and scouted out a gravel pit for the night, just in time for a dusk lightning storm! It poured all night, and fork lightning cracked on the mountain! Somehow, I managed to keep enough coals in the fire to cook breakfast. The rain stopped by morning, and I took the Pavilion Clinton short cut to escape some pavement, and save some miles!

Man did it rain last night! It felt muggy back in Lillooette!

A sign of things to come perhaps....

I'm gonna buy one when I grow up!

Made it to PG, did not make the bike shop in time, I'll have to do that oil change later!

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 06-23-2014 at 09:35 PM
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #24
S8W7
Libertarian

Oddometer: 68

Will be following this RR! :)
Old 08-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #25
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,852
In

I can't wait to ride around there next summer!

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #26
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Rest day.

Gonna take it easy today, Dad has the day off today, so it's a good time for family.

It seems I'm a bit sensitive to stinging insects. Just past Kelly Lake, I hit the pavement, and remembered to do up my collar. So I did it up, thought to put my bandana over my neck, then BAM!!!!!! That's how fast I got nailed! By evening, it was red 6 inches down my chest...It's way better today, but they sure do swell up on me...New rule: cover your neck!!!

Neck covered or not, some other stinging/biting insect ended up under my shirt, nailing me 4 times above the belly button while riding! It may have been a fire ant from when I took my jacket off to deal with the first bite....

I'm going to see the pharmacy and ask what the deal is with epi-pens and if I should carry one.... I know they have to do a scratch test to see if you are allergic.....Something I'll have to deal with...I did feel a little bit dizzy for a little while after, but that could have been the stings combined with sweltering heat, lack of food and antihistamines on an empty stomach..... I pulled over twice for breaks, just because of that...I felt better after I had a good lunch....
Old 08-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #27
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

So the pharmacist said that my bee / wasp sting symptoms were not indicative of an anaphylactic reaction, and to keep tabs on whether subsequent stings get worse. I've had a number of stings the last few years, they get big, but I can't say they are getting worse...The dizzyness I felt was probably from the benadryl itself.....

He said to keep doing what I have been, take antihistamines along, and cover up. I feel a lot better after hearing that!

Epi-pens are generally for those who are at risk of going into shock, so I may be off the hook as far as needing to get one.

I still think I'll get tested when I get back to Vic, just so I know for sure, but for now, prevention is probably best.

Glad I got that worry out of the way. I picked up a few bandanas at the Dollar store.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #28
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Fuel woes

I realized in B-lining it to PG, that I was burning a lot more gas than I thought! I hit empty at 135kms, instead of my typical 160-170. I guess the extra weight and 120-130kph. speeds were the cause. I think I'll go mellow to Smithers and see if it makes a difference. I may be picking up a 3rd jerry yet....

I thought with the gearing change that I would save a lot more than I did. I guess 130 is 130, no matter what the gearing! That being said, my dipstick still registered by the time I got to PG, so I am burning less oil!

The gearing feels great on the highway, way less vibration and noise.

I did a quick powerline ride unloaded today, made it through the hill climbs, but with a lot more clutching...Sandy, sandy whips out here, a bit challenging for an Islander with bald tires!!! Real fun to hit up the old spots I used to mountain bike on!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 01:41 AM   #29
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojournalism View Post
Anybody out there know how to use a SPOT? I thought it was supposed to leave a track behind as you go along?
I think you have to pay extra for that feature, but I'll look through the Manual. I suppose I could just hit the ok button more often!!

And thanks for the popcorn and drool people, been waiting for years to earn that honour!!!

Headed out tomorrow morning, was going to take Ness Lake and Reid Lake roads to Isle Pierre, but according to the maps, there is no crossing on the Nechacko river there....

I did however find another dirt road that should shave 20 kms off, bypassing Houston: Summit Lake Road. Should be good!

Tropic-Of-Canada screwed with this post 08-05-2013 at 01:55 AM
Old 08-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #30
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
latest spot message, beginning of dirt, just Before Huston

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote