Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #316
Pervect
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I would be interested in the 1200 version, and test it against the Rapidbike 3 I am using now....

How can I get one?

Thx,

Jan
Pervect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #317
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervect View Post
I would be interested in the 1200 version, and test it against the Rapidbike 3 I am using now....

How can I get one?

Thx,

Jan
If you contact Beemer Boneyard or Nightrider.com they will let you know the schedule for the R1200 OEM cable. A source for the connectors has been found and is being qualified now.

It would also be possible to use the universal cable but the OEM connectors will be easier and are nearly there.
roger 04 rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #318
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here's an idea of how gas mileage is working out at lambda 0.94 (6% rich AFR). Put 143 miles on my bike the other day. Here are the stats.

147 miles odometer, 143 miles (google maps) (odometer error 3%)
90 miles highway (60-75 mph) est. 68 mph average
53 miles local/stop&go, speed less than 50 mph
Top case and two side cases, windshield full up
Air Temp 75F

2.877 gallons between fills (error allowance +0.1 gallons), 143.2 miles,

average 143.2/2.877 = 49.8 mpg (with error allowance 143.2/2.977=48.1 mpg)

Next Up: A test run of lambda 1.08 (AFR 15.9:1) 8% leaner than stock
Old 08-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #319
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

For those who are interested in adding BMW-AF-XIEDs to R1200 or F800, the OEM connectors have been qualified and will be available in the coming weeks. Contact Mike at Beemerboneyard or Steve at Nightrider for availability.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:36 AM   #320
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Running the Oilhead Very Lean

The Innovate Motorsports LC-1 has two analog channels. One is usually used to simulate a Narrowband O2 output. The other analog channel is usually set to drive an AFR gauge, however it is possible to program it to simulate a Narrowband O2 output as well.

With that in mind Analog 1 to lambda = 0.93 (7% rich, 13.65:1 AFR) and Analog 2 to lambda = 1.08 (8% lean, 15.9:1 AFR). By means of a selector switch you can choose which mixture the Motronic is using, even while running down the road.

You can see in the chart below how easily the Motronic moves from Closed Loop at 7% rich to Closed Loop at 8% lean, and also how well it holds Closed Loop at either setting. Also on the chart is a reference line at 14.7:1 which represents the stock oxygen sensor setting.

I had a chance today to make a 50 mile run with Closed Loop at the very lean setting of lambda = 1.08. Some observations:

--The Motronic easily adjusts to 1.08. This wasn't a very long test but under riding conditions over the 50 miles the bike seemed to be running normally, but with, for lack of a better phrase, a more anemic feeling.

--In cruise mode at speeds up to 60 MPH (top speed I could run for any distance on the roadway), there was no misfiring and no pinging. In fact I tried to make it ping with some uphill roll-ons and couldn't. The engine didn't seem to run any hotter than usual.

--Since my BBSs were set to idle at 13.65:1, I had to keep the fast idle lever up to idle at 1100 RPM. With the leaner mixture it takes more air to idle at a given speed.

--The engine performed "okay" but it took more throttle to start off than in the richer setting, the bike stalled as I let out the clutch to leave the driveway. Roll-on throttle while cruising, led to a very slight hesitation before acceleration

--At low speeds, throttle input exhibited some jerkiness during transitions from acceleration to deceleration that aren't there at all at lambda 0.93. The "hop" that can occur when the bike comes out of Overrun Fuel Cutoff was pronounced.

--The natural up-shifting point seemed about 1000 RPM higher than I grown accustomed to with richer than stock mixtures. It really did not want to be upshifted until 4000-5000 RPM. It just wasn't settled and ready to be shifted much earlier.

--Was there any surging? Yes, but only a bit and no more than I remember with a stock O2 sensor. Mostly light throttle in the range of 3000 to 4000 RPM.

--The course was 5 miles long with short stops and starts during course reversal. The 53.5 miles on odometer (51.9 corrected) was ridden mostly at speeds between 45 and 55 mph but top speeds were 65-70. Fuel consumed was 1.05 gallons +/- 5% which is about 49 mpg +/- 2 mpg.

Summary
In effect, this test was a side by side comparison of a richer fueled R1150RT and a leaner fueled bike. There's not question which is the more satisfying motorcycle to ride, the richer mixture by far.

Although the Motronic seems very flexible and able to run rich or lean of the stock setting with modified Lambda input, there is a big difference in the feeling of the engine. Richer mixtures (plus 4-6%) lead to a much smoother, slightly more powerful engine, especially below 4000 RPM, that "asks" to be shifted about 1000 RPM lower than a leaner one.

Leaner mixtures (minus 0-8%) lead to a more anemic feeling and seem to amplify whatever bad manners the engine exhibits (OFC hop, surge, roughness, hesitation). Overall it was an unpleasant ride.

By the end of the 50 mile test I was very happy to flip the switch back to lambda 0.94 where it's going to stay for the rest of the summer.
RB
Old 08-09-2013, 04:58 AM   #321
terryckdbf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
Roger

Thanks for running the test and posting the results. Between the 2 posts the fuel mileage is basically the same, given other variables. 49.8 +/- at Lambda 0.94, 49 +/- at Lambda 1.08. This supports my numbers as well, I seem to get 42 +/- at Lambda 1.00 and 41 +/- at Lambda 0.94. Shifting patterns and throttle response seem to play into the results.

Be well.

Terry
terryckdbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #322
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,426
Overdue Review

I am way overdue for a report on the XIED. I have a 2005 1150 GSA that I have owned for 7 years with muffler delete (still have the cat) and a Unifilter (and a ton of other farkles that don't affect engine performance). I have been running a PCIII for about 5 of those years with the stock PCIII map - I never got the bike dyno'ed.

Over the years, I have recommended the PCIII to a lot of 1150 riders as it really helps rideability (I could lug the engine down to 2500 in 6th with the PCIII and it would pull smoothly (albeit slowly) but there were a few nagging issues:

1) There seemed to be the occasional misunderstanding between the PCIII and the Motronic which would result in some funny running (usually loss of power and smoothness) - almost as though the Motronic was resetting itself.

2) The PCIII is pretty big and takes a lot of space under the tank - somewhat minor but I have farkles stuck in every nook and cranny.

3) The lack of support from Dynojet was a concern -
  • if it crapped in the middle of nowhere, it would not be easy to bypass since the Motronic wouldn't work with the WB PCIII sensor. I never had an issue but once when I disconnected the battery, I forgot to reconnect the negative PCIII cable and the bike wouldn't start. It only took a few minutes to figure out the problem but that was in my garage.
  • Also, none of the updated PCIII flashes could be applied to the PCIII for the BMW, which is very poorly documented on the DJ site.
  • The PCIII connectors are not of great quality and I didn't like that the WB sensor was not heated. Seemed like some poor engineering, but again I never actually had a problem.
4) Finally, I noticed that the tailpipe (and the O2 sensor when I removed it to put in the XIED) was very sooty. I suspect that the PCIII map is very rich at large throttle openings where it increases the stock fuelling by up to 15%.

I was following this thread with a great deal of interest and when Roger offered the product I bought one of the first batch to try. I figured if I didn't like it, I could always give it to my buddy Gale who has a bone stock 1100 RT.

So, after getting back from a 5000km trip in July, I decided to make the switch to the XIED. It is amazing how easy this thing was to install - it took a lot longer to remove the PCIII (about an hour) than it did to install the XIED (10 mins). It is also tiny, and can easily be removed if anything goes wrong. Luckily I had kept my narrow band sensor when I went to the PCIII.

I reset the Motronic and took it for a ride - it ran like crap. Basically, it was back to stock fuelling, rough and surging at low revs. However, the Motronic quickly began to adapt and after 100km, the bike was running much better, almost as smooth as the PCIII.

I then tried to richen it up some more and went the wrong way on the controller - I actually leaned it out a bit and it started to run a bit more poorly. A quick email to Roger got this sorted and I went back to the factory setting and back to smooth running.

I now have about 1000km on the XIED and it runs as well as the PCIII, perhaps a little better. I can easily lug it down to 2500 in 6th or 2000 in 5th and it pulls smoothly. As a bonus, I seem to be getting better fuel economy (I didn't quantify the improvement, I know Roger would have) than I got with the PCIII and the pipe is less sooty. I haven't seen any downside to the XIED, it seems to integrate seamlessly with the Motronic.

Overall, I think the XIED is a better solution than the PCIII for a close to stock bike.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #323
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Tank Vent Effect on AFR

Yesterday I had a chance to see what the effect of opening the tank vent was on mixture leanness.

To measure that I pulled the vent hose from the throttle body side of the solenoid and then blocked and unblocked it with my finger while the bike was idling, where it seems the effect should be greatest due to high intake manifold vacuum. I used the graphical output of the LC-1 to make the measurement.

The effect was pretty simple so I'll describe it and not bother with a chart.

During Closed Loop operation, the Motronic adapts to the opening and closing (which it knows nothing about since I'm using my finger) so quickly that there is no visible effect on AFR.

During Open Loop operation, while the bike was warming up, there was roughly a 0.6 AFR change. With the hose capped I measured 12.8:1 and then when opened, 13.4:1. I did this repeatedly and the (approx.) 4% change in idle AFR, back and forth as I opened and closed the hose inlet was very repeatable.

My reason for making the measurement was to see what effect I could have on the mixture during startup by opening the vent. Now I know. ;)

RB

roger 04 rt screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 10:24 AM
Old 08-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #324
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,426
Based on this, I assume that you still have the charcoal cannister in place? Canadian bikes don't have a canister, so both hoses go to atmosphere.

Send from my Droid using Tapatalk

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:28 PM   #325
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
Based on this, I assume that you still have the charcoal cannister in place? Canadian bikes don't have a canister, so both hoses go to atmosphere.

Send from my Droid using Tapatalk
Ian, yes I have to admit I've left mine on. Seems to work fine. Since I have it I thought I'd find out how much it affect AFR when opened--not much during Cloosed Loop or higher power.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #326
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,316
I'll finally have time to install mine this weekend. Moving sucks.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #327
Gary Stevens
n00b

Oddometer: 1
What's the bottom line of your analysis for us average riders? My used 04 r1150 came with a Dobek TFI that must allow for some adjustments you are making. I just don't know what to do with it.
Gary
Gary Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #328
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Stevens View Post
What's the bottom line of your analysis for us average riders? My used 04 r1150 came with a Dobek TFI that must allow for some adjustments you are making. I just don't know what to do with it.
Gary
The bottom line is that the simplest way to get fuel added across-the-board is to install a BMW-AF-XIED in series with your O2 sensor. Setting 7 adds 4% and setting 8 adds 6% to fueling throughout the operating range of your motorcycle. There are other settings, richer and leaner, but most likely 7 or 8 will be best for you.

You will have a smoother engine and more pull in the 1500-4000 rpm range because you have richened the mixture from stock (selected to keep your catalytic converter happy) toward what is called Best Power mixture. Your engine will be happier and so will you when you roll-on the throttle form cruising. This solution works in harmony with the Motronic, not against it. I don't sell them but Beemerboneyard and nightrider do.

Any modification of this type (including Techlusion) is only legal off road.

roger 04 rt screwed with this post 08-17-2013 at 11:55 AM
Old 08-21-2013, 07:48 AM   #329
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

LC-1 Installed on R1100RT

A friend from Vancouver who we know as Happy Wanderer agreed to be a beta tester for the BMW-AF-XIED on his R1100RT: R1100RT XIED Beta Report. The success of that inspired him to go whole-hog and install the Innovate Motorsports LC-1. GS Addict helped him with the installation and the workmanship is top notch.

The significance of this to all of us is that we will, as Happy Wanderer's time allows, start to get the first clear picture of how the R1100 makes its fueling decisions. Before going into detail, from the several test rides that HW has made to date, it's looking pretty clear that the R1100 and R1150 have very similar fueling algorithms. At first glance, it is difficult to tell the difference. Below is the first test ride made with the LC-1 set at Lambda 0.96 (4% richer or about 14.1:1). If I didn't know better, I'd say this data was taken from my R1150 it is that similar.

After riding for a few days at Lambda 0.96, HW increased the Closed Loop enrichment target by 2% to lambda 0.94 (6% total enrichment) and set up and took data from a cold-start to test ride on the road, that chart is below. A summary of what I can see from this and other charts he sent:

--Cold Start Enrichment: The R1100 has a similar start-up and cold start enrichment sequence, conducted as an Open Loop process. A difference to the R1150RT is that the R1100 seems to run a fixed time sequence from cold start where the R1150 shortens the time to Closed Loop, based on engine temperature, probably to reduce emissions. The amount of cold start enrichment seems the same as the R1150--10-15%.

--Adaptation Values: Based on several sequences HW sent me, and his reports, it is very clear that the Motronic MA 2.2 has learning adaptation, much like the R1150 and R1200. I can't say that the process is exactly the same, just that it exists. There are many who see the Motronic ECUs as simplistic, through the course of this project, I've seen many sophisticated capabilities in all models. This should not be a surprise since Bosch/BMW had had electronic fuel injection for about 15 years when the Oilheads were introduced.

--Acceleration Enrichment: Looking at the dips below the 13.8:1 line on the chart, you can see a significant acceleration enrichment, just like the R1150 and R1200. AFRs get to nearly 12:1 with a good turn of the throttle.

--Deceleration Enleanment: Likewise you can see bumps up to 14.4 or 15:1 showing that during mild deceleration the mixture is leaned by 4-8%.

--Overrun Fuel Cutoff: Just like with the R1150 and R1200, when the throttle is closed, the Motronic on the R1100 shuts off the injectors and the mixture shoots to the top of the chart, greater than 22:1.

--Rock Steady Closed Loop Fueling: HW is running E10 fuel during this test which shows that the Motronic has adapted (the fuel is 4% leaner than pure gas) its Closed Loop fueling to 6% richer than stock fueling (10% total enrichment considering the E10) and readily gets it back to 13.8:1 after acceleration, deceleration or overrun fuel cutoff.

Thanks HW for the big effort you and GSA made to get this installed. I know as time allows you intend to take data with the Coding Plug out. When you do, the last of the Motronic's secrets will be exposed and we'll all know once and for all just what the R1100s and Motronic MA 2.2s do when the Coding Plug is removed.

Great work!
Old 08-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #330
Mike Figielski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
R1150 VERSION NOW AVAILABLE @ Beemerboneyard.com!

Hi Guys,
Well, it took a little longer than I had hoped but we just received the first batch of 24 BMW-AF-XiED units for the R1150 series bikes. You can see and/or order them here: http://www.beemerboneyard.com/bmwafxied1150.html

Stay tuned here for future availability of R1100 and R1200 units, just waiting for connectors to make the plug and play harnesses with. Thanks!
Mike

PS, these work unbelievably well. Took off the Power Commander Wide Band I had on my bike and won't switch back! It is that good!

Check Out:
beemerboneyard.com
Mike Figielski is offline   Reply With Quote