Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2013, 02:11 AM   #1426
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,569
Good Sunday evening gentlepeople & what a weekend it has been.

I awoke this morning to the birthday cheer, kisses & cuddles from my lil girls. Sitting before a plate of fresh out of the pan banana pancakes with golden syrup I was presented with a couple of lil baskets of homemade coconut ice
Could the day start any better?

I had arranged a special birthday ride over the Maungatapu to Pelorus for coffee with the NADS. Not only was it a perfect day for riding with the faux spring temperatures lately but suprising to some, the route also went past the creek I had unintentionally parked Schmidt in the previous evening. There was a selfish reason calling all in sundry out for a celebratory ride & coffee, I needed some hefty adv riding chaps to help pull the BMW up the bank onto the road.

Shall we have a Scooby Doo wavey moment & go back in time to yesterday afternoon.

I had previously inquired on Stagehands thread how he handled tight gravelly corners on his BMW. For those that aren't aware of him he finished very well in the Aussie Safari on an airhead. He gave me a few tips for handling the larger massed bike & so out I went to Hori bay to practice.

I rode down to a large open skidder site to practice & found out to my surprise that I have an unnatural fear of turning the bars in while accelerating. Weird but true Armed with that knowledge I began riding & working on my cornering.
Things were going great, the warm weather helped my body loosen up & move more freely on the seat when sliding around the bends. I had a few low speed tumbles as the front wheel washed out a couple of times . I got back on determined to fight those demons.
Arriving back at the highway I looked at the clock & found I had enough time to head to Pelorus & head back home via the Maungatapu.

I was riding the Maungatpu like a riding GOD ..... well until I came to a slight right followed by another more tightish right hand bend. As my spectacles were a bit fogged & I was a bit distracted thinking about other things I didn't notice that there was actually a drop off to a creek right before it. Hooking up a bit much on the gentle right turn I veered a bit too much to the RHS of the road & fearing i'd cock the tight right up I slowed right down on the verge of the road.
It was then when I was stationary that I looked over & saw there was nothing on the other side of the bike. Slowly but surely the ground beneath the rear wheel crumbled away & as I stepped off the bike it slid backwards down the drop off coming to a halt standing vertical on its rear wheel.
I could smell the gas leaking out & scampered down to turn the gas off. I gently dropped the front end round so the bike was semi horizontal the right way up.

Bugger.

Well it was 4.30 pm, I was 30kms from home & it would be dark soon. What should I do? Call Nordie of course.

To be continued tomm nite
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:15 AM   #1427
Micawberism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Is that a leather "Biggles" Helmet under the front of your scooter
Micawberism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:37 AM   #1428
Left Testicle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
no ice on the corner I hope
Left Testicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #1429
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,793
Oh NO! Since you are ok, it seems that hte choice of smilies opens up considerably. Man I am glad you are ok! oh man... Maybe i havent been riding in too long and my advice was too slippery in the corners

DId you get the bike up and out?
Old 08-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #1430
Beater
Mighty Unclean

Oddometer: 3,170
Holy crap. Glad you're OK! Schmidt make it out OK?
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #1431
Clay Spinner
Woodfire or Bust

Oddometer: 599
I'm going to stick around for advice on how to ride out of deep ditches!
Clay Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #1432
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Spinner View Post
It involves rope, lot's of rope...
Old 08-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #1433
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,603
I sure hope that Schmitty is all right. It's lucky you didn't have to follow him down
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #1434
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
It was then when I was stationary that I looked over & saw there was nothing on the other side of the bike.
feck that must have been a serious pucker moment

at least you didn't get to ride your old bomb down like some others have

Old 08-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #1435
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,422
You know what I get from this story? That you have PERFECT timing

If you had stepped off one second after that ground gave way this would be a much different post over in Face Plant. You must stop the gas pump right on the zero every time

Great story. Thanks!

Quote:
Ha! +1

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:19 AM   #1436
Padmei OP
enamoured

Where was i...
Oh yes on the other side of the Maungatapu track about 30 kms from civilisation walking up the rock strewn 4x4 track to the summit.
Luckily I had cell phone coverage & managed to get hold of Woodman, Steve & Nordie. Since Nordie was the closest & showers in his motorcycle gear I asked him for a ride home. Damned if I was going to be late for a birthday dinner with the girls.

The sun was going down over the Western Ranges & the sky was an beautiful reddy/pink as the dulcet tones of Nordies DR burbled up thru the trees. Although the air was cool I had worked up bit of a sweat tramping in my leather jacket. Mounting 1/2 the comfy seat & 1/2 the rear rack I laughed like a 3 yr old as we bounced off rocks & loose scree thru the rockgarden. The ride along the Maitai river was lovely. i really could get into doing a tour as a pillion passenger - you miss so much when you have to look at the bloody road all the time

He dropped me off at home around 6pm & into my family's arms I fell.

That night I sent word out there was to be a celebratory ride over to Pelorus. Nordie, Woodman, Steve, rigley, Crazyfrog, Jatz & myself should be enough to haul the bike out. We met up at Branford park & after the usual adv chinwag mounted up & rode up into the bush. The rocks were bloody slippery in the morning & we picked our way up laden down on the DR. I had a life changing experience when Nordie jumped the DR with both of us on it - yehaaa

The few sniggers that were unleashed in the morning were quickly upgraded to laughing out loud when we arrived at Schmidts camping spot. I quickly reenacted the quite stylish manoeuvre that caused the lil episode. Soon we got out the ropes & strops. I dropped down the chute...

removed the tank & seat & we ran a rope & safety strop under the headset brace & back up to the oxen at the top. I had to plead to get someone else down the chute & Steve righteously joined me. Steve & I got the bike on its wheels & the elephants up top pulled it up with the sound of grunting & lumbar displacement.

Up on solid ground I boasted that he would start up straightaway to the amusement of the Japanese bike owners. Unfortunately the starter wouldn't budge. I tried crash starting it but the rear wheel was just plain locked up. Hmmm. I put it in gear on the centre stand & spun the wheel around in 5th. It would go round fine then stop. Woodman surmised that the cylinder was hydraulicalling.

i mentioned I lost my tool roll the day before? Well the sparkplug socket was in that & it was bigger than the pussy lil japanese plugs. Luckily a set of pliers got it open & I spun the starter a few times. It seemed to spin freer & the RH plug was absolutely oiled up. Ahhhhh thats the side that starts first & draws the other cylinder in later. A km down the track the bike burst into life leaving a plume of white smoke enveloping the solitary runner taking in the beautiful natural environment.

Kiwi hi fives all round ( which consists of a nod & a 'goodonyamate') we barreled down the track like a herd of wild goats. The coffee at Pelorus cafe was outstanding There was a busload of Asian tourists there that insisted on getting their photos taken with a few of the better looking members of our group. Alos parked there was the local classic bike bunch. They were inside getting coffees. I cringed & had to walk away when the tourists began climbing aboard the classic bikes getting their pics taken.

During the coffee break I graciously accepted my birthday present from Jatz- a salad fork.

The way back home was not without incident. Nordie was leading & turned off the track to do the steep slippery river crossing instead of taking the perfectly adequate 2 lane sealed bridge. Unfortunately Steve & Rigley weren't quite so quick to spot one of Nordies set ups So i rode around to the exit of the river to assist them trying to climb back up.

Nordie couldn't find purchase with his roadie rear & went back over the river the way he came. Rigley unfortunately gave it a half arsed attempt, slipped & broke his clutch lever. Remember that tool roll I lost the day before? it carried my spare clutch lever

It is an adventure after all & Rigley learnt how to ride along knarly tracks with out the use of the clutch - a lesson well learned.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:41 AM   #1437
ally67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Good to hear the boys gave you a hand with the recovery even if it was just so they could get a laugh

Oh and Happy Birthday
ally67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:47 AM   #1438
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,766
Enjoyed that report - mates helping out mates, there's hope for humanity after all; and a salad fork...magic
Old 08-05-2013, 02:48 AM   #1439
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,156
I may have a spare BMW tool roll if you get desperate...But only if you take me off your hit list.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:20 AM   #1440
Padmei OP
enamoured

Sigh...Yes Nutso that was going to be my next issue.

The spanners I'm not that worried about but the main items i would really like to acquire are the valve cover/ sparkplug tube spanner, wheel nut lever & nice metal rod. I think I had those long nose pliers from my apprenticeship.

If any of you have a spare of those I would be keen to purchase them of you.

The best thing about the weekend ride was the knowledge that there are some really good people out there willing to help out a fellow adv rider. it's reassuring to know. Many thanks to you all esp Nordie. There'll be a pack of frozen veges couriered to you.

I also said out loud that I'm going to Namibia to ride before I'm 50! So there I have to go now.