ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
Milehi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
LED headlight

Anyone modify the SE headlight to hold a Squadron or Rigid? Looks like one would fit in there.
Milehi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehi View Post
Anyone modify the SE headlight to hold a Squadron or Rigid? Looks like one would fit in there.
I set out to do just that to my SE. The final conclusion that I came to after multiple versions and multiple disappointments, was to use an alternative aftermarket solution as opposed to using the stock mask.

The complicating factors are many and not outwardly obvious until you pull the stock light from the mask. I became quite frustrated trying to account for all of the engineering needed to make the end product both functional yet still user friendly. The instrument panel location and the need for easy adjustability of the lights "throw" complicate the build. Maintaining and protecting the wiring within the mask is another large challenge

I am sure it is doable, but not by me. Good luck and be sure to show us your version if you try.

pfdskipper screwed with this post 08-03-2013 at 07:18 AM
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:07 AM   #3
DeepInIt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,368
I dont find the aforementioned lights very usable with oncoming cars. Granted my Squads are half spot, half driving but you can aim them at the ground and other drivers will still complain. Why not mount two on the forks, I use the CJ mounts and the Squads arr a little smaller than the rigids so fit even with a Safari tank. Using a relay, hook them to the highbeem switch. Two turns night into day.
DeepInIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepInIt View Post
I dont find the aforementioned lights very usable with oncoming cars. Granted my Squads are half spot, half driving but you can aim them at the ground and other drivers will still complain. Why not mount two on the forks, I use the CJ mounts and the Squads arr a little smaller than the rigids so fit even with a Safari tank. Using a relay, hook them to the highbeem switch. Two turns night into day.
I use my squadrons as the primary light and do not have any complaints from oncoming traffic. I have the squads dimmed to 40% via a skeene designs dimmer for use around traffic. The remainder of my lights and the dimmed squads go to 100% with the highbeam switch. I get oncoming cars flashing me to dim at mid day when all are fired up at 100%

I ran the led lights on fork mounts when I first installed them and did not care for the shadows they cast from the lower location. When I finally secured the lights higher up I was more pleased with the how the lights filled the darkness.

In either location they are stupid bright and are a great improvement over stock.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:36 AM   #5
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,152
I find the LED lights I put on my SE don't cut through the darkness like tradition incandescent bulbs. Reflective road signs are blinding....

Anyone else notice this. Sorry for the hijack.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:58 AM   #6
midfat
wholesome dirtiness

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
I find the LED lights I put on my SE don't cut through the darkness like tradition incandescent bulbs. Reflective road signs are blinding....

What brand/model lights are you running? I can attest to the strength of the Baja Designs Squadron LED. They tear a hole in darkness better than any other light I have run, HID included.
midfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:10 AM   #7
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by midfat View Post
What brand/model lights are you running? I can attest to the strength of the Baja Designs Squadron LED. They tear a hole in darkness better than any other light I have run, HID included.
Durite's.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post

Reflective signs do create issues, I try to not let my focus stray to the illuminated signs, they will nearly blind you. The price to play I suppose?

I believe its a no contest between incandescent lights and the BD squadron/onx. Not even close. BD wins..

The HID lights are farther reaching by a bit, not a bunch from what I have seen first hand.. YMMV

The trade off in ease of use, i.e. not waiting for the bulb to power up, is a factor for the HIDs that is not an issue with the LED's