User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
ScottyDog OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Lowering a 950

Anybody other vertically challenged 950 / 990 owners had any experience in lowering their bike?

Either doing the work themselves or getting a suspension guy to do it? Mine's a standard 950 with a gel seat, I'm in Brisbane Australia.

Besides the lower seat height, any other mods suggested like modded seat, shorter sidestand, centrestand grounding, etc??

Don't do much serious offroad or single track. Would just like to put my feet down with confidence...

Cheers, Scott
ScottyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyDog View Post
Anybody other vertically challenged 950 / 990 owners had any experience in lowering their bike?

Either doing the work themselves or getting a suspension guy to do it? Mine's a standard 950 with a gel seat, I'm in Brisbane Australia.

Besides the lower seat height, any other mods suggested like modded seat, shorter sidestand, centrestand grounding, etc??

Don't do much serious offroad or single track. Would just like to put my feet down with confidence...

Cheers, Scott
Heya Scott

Sorry to hear you are Australian, unfortunately I can't help with that ...bein a bloody Kiwi

Ok, I am 5' 6.5" with about 29.5 inch inseam, we ride a 950 SE and love it.

So, I put in a 950 SM rear shock, this dropped the back 2 inches or 50 mm at the axle which equates to 1 inch or 25 mm in the middle.

We raised the forks in the clamps 10 mm, dropped the static sag to lowest and the SE has 15 mm preload spacers which we removed to complete the deal.

The bike came with a renazco seat which I cut down 45 mm and narrowed up 10 mm each side which made a huge difference to the standover, I spent 4 -5 hour grafting the shape to my bum so I can sit on it all day no prob.

Narrowing the seat will give you a huge advantage.

These three measures bought the big girl down to a manageable size.

I cut the side stand and centrestand down and they all work fine
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote