ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 984
Canisterectomy help please

Did the canisterectomy on my 2012R as per the HOW/etc and though the bike runs just fine, when I go to fill up fuel, the tanks are in a state of vacuum suggesting that I've not vented properly. In the left and right fairing halves, Am I supposed to leave any of the hoses or fittings open for venting

Thanks in advance
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
When the bike is in its stock state, each tank has a vent barb with a hose to atmosphere allowing for venting to the outside.

Not sure about how that relates to the ectomy, but at least now you know the tanks are vented normally thru one if the barbs (on each tank)
grant22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 984
Not sure I understand. My tanks have two barbed fittings each, one on each tank seems to serve as an overflow hose - each side leads down into the skidplate area, those are intact as they were prior to the canisterectomy. The other two fittings are further forward on the tanks and they connect into the front side fairings. I can see that on the right side front fairing (front brake handle side), this gets connected to a hose that goes over and in behind the dash to the left side. On the left (clutch lever side), there are two fittings in that side fairing; one to connect to that "crossover" hose that I just mentioned coming from the right side and one that used to lead into the fairing and the charcoal canister itself. I have run a hose between those two fittings and by doing so, I suspect that I've Eliminated what used to be venting via the canister. So I'm thinking I need to do away with that short hose that I've fitted and let the tanks vent into the atmosphere but if I do, is that correct? And if it is correct, what will avoid smelling fuel all the time, some kind if small one way check valves? I realize that I could always get vented fuel tank caps but is rather keep the original locking ones intact.

By the way, at the risk of further confusion, I'm pretty sure that there is another crossover hose between the tanks that runs under the seat from side to side but that did not change as a result of my canisterectomy.
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Hmm

It was my understanding that the barb on each side that has the vertical hose down to the skidplate are your vent lines plumbed internally to your gas caps. Those are what I was referring to.

Maybe you need to do a flapectomy.
grant22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
Did the canisterectomy on my 2012R as per the HOW/etc and though the bike runs just fine, when I go to fill up fuel, the tanks are in a state of vacuum suggesting that I've not vented properly. In the left and right fairing halves, Am I supposed to leave any of the hoses or fittings open for venting

Thanks in advance
Cannisterectomy will not work in Canada. To northern, too cold. Funny words.

(I don't actually know, but thought I'd toss in a joke about "America's Hat".)

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
travelsomewhere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
tip

Here you go to save yourself a bunch of hassle and research. The hoses that come out of the top front of the tank are the vent hoses. yes they need to be open to breathe, the right one crosses over under the dash and connects to the left where the meet and connect to the canister. if the hoses are open to atmosphere they do not stink the place up as bad as you think. pop open the gas cap and just on the outside of the fill hole you will see a black round rubber piece with a small hole in it. get a straw in your kitchen or a gutted ink pen and press it firmly to that hole and blow through it to see if air passes easily- do this on both sides. if it does not have a clear passage on one or both than you may have a pinch or kink in a hose, which can easily happen. if all of the passages are clear and smooth i would look into a fuel filter if you have some miles on that baby from what i have read. I had this problem and it turned out to be a kink in a hose. good luck keep us posted.

travelsomewhere screwed with this post 08-04-2013 at 08:43 PM Reason: more info
travelsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote