ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
harryzgnilek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Standard 1190 can be made into a "R" off road version

Hi all

What is everyone's take on the standard 1190 Adventure with optional 21 front 18 back wheels.. would that be in par with the 1190 R version?
yes, i know there is 30mm clearance/ suspension travel but the standard 1190 can be a very capable off road machine?

thanks
harryzgnilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
First thing comes to my mind is the front tire rubbing (or worse) when suspension is fully compressed. Bad things could happen
If you're planning on an standard 1190 plus 21/18 wheels, why don't you directly go for the R? It seems she even has a far better suspension than the standard model.

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
harryzgnilek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti View Post
First thing comes to my mind is the front tire rubbing (or worse) when suspension is fully compressed. Bad things could happen
If you're planning on an standard 1190 plus 21/18 wheels, why don't you directly go for the R? It seems she even has a far better suspension than the standard model.
because most of my riding will be pavement 80/20 split.. SO i would imagine the Standard would be better for me
Old 08-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
harryzgnilek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryzgnilek View Post
because most of my riding will be pavement 80/20 split.. SO i would imagine the Standard would be better for me
I also like the electronic suspension on the standard
Old 08-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
bajamcguide
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
The R model also has a leading axle on the forks to accommodate the 21 inch front wheel. The 21 inch my " fit " on the front of the standard 1190. but you will loose chassis balance by fitting the 21 with out a forward leading axle. That being said I hope the R version comes to the U.S. If not, I will go with the Standard version and fit more dirt oriented tires.
bajamcguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #6
harryzgnilek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajamcguide View Post
The R model also has a leading axle on the forks to accommodate the 21 inch front wheel. The 21 inch my " fit " on the front of the standard 1190. but you will loose chassis balance by fitting the 21 with out a forward leading axle. That being said I hope the R version comes to the U.S. If not, I will go with the Standard version and fit more dirt oriented tires.
Follow up question. If I just get other offroad tires. . Size 19 front and 17 read.. would the standard 1190 be a very capable off road bike ?
Old 08-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
bajamcguide
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Not as good as the "R" because the 21 inch front and more ground clearance, but still very capable for most of us
"normal" riders.
bajamcguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:11 AM   #8
Terence FFM
prof. cat-herder

Oddometer: 364
different approach

It would seem to me that from a purely suspension point or perhaps chasis geometry point of view the alternative approach, namely taking an "R" model and adding a set of 19/17s from a regular model would be the safer bet. By that I mean that the likelihood of anything banging, dragging or rubbing as mentioned in earlier posts would be reduced/eliminated due to the fact the peripheral parts are sized for larger wheels so bolting smaller ones on is far less likely to create problems than bolting larger wheels on a bike designed for smaller ones. I recognize a lot of people like the regular version because of the lower and more comfortable seat, bigger stock screen, and electronically adjustable suspension.

I think a better choice is doing what 99% of all GS owners do, and that is lever a set of TKC80, Mitas E10 or whatever your favorite set of knobblies is on the bike, and accept that even if 19/17 isn't ideal for offroad, for 90%+ of the riders out there, this combo won't be limiting factor on how far the bike will take them.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
harryzgnilek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence FFM View Post
It would seem to me that from a purely suspension point or perhaps chasis geometry point of view the alternative approach, namely taking an "R" model and adding a set of 19/17s from a regular model would be the safer bet. By that I mean that the likelihood of anything banging, dragging or rubbing as mentioned in earlier posts would be reduced/eliminated due to the fact the peripheral parts are sized for larger wheels so bolting smaller ones on is far less likely to create problems than bolting larger wheels on a bike designed for smaller ones. I recognize a lot of people like the regular version because of the lower and more comfortable seat, bigger stock screen, and electronically adjustable suspension.

I think a better choice is doing what 99% of all GS owners do, and that is lever a set of TKC80, Mitas E10 or whatever your favorite set of knobblies is on the bike, and accept that even if 19/17 isn't ideal for offroad, for 90%+ of the riders out there, this combo won't be limiting factor on how far the bike will take them.
That makes so much sense, thank you.
So addibg tkc80 will be able to manage light /medium off road tasks ?
Thanks
Old 08-05-2013, 07:37 AM   #10
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Right now there aren't many trail tires for the standard.
I gave it a thought a few months ago and yes you can put TKCs and Karoo3 but remember the rim width in the standard model is 3.50 front and 5.00 rear, you'll need the widest tires available. And that means $150-170 for a front tire and $215 for a rear karoo3 or $250-270 a rear TKC
These rear tires will last close to nothing in such a powerful bike, I couldn't afford installing a new tire every 3-4,000 km (TKC lasted 3,800 km in my 990)
Adv R rims are pretty wide too, 2.50 and 4,50, trail tires won't last either but at least you can get a 90/90 and 150/70 at half the price

Not trying to pee on your parade but giving you more facts so you can choose wisely.

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Old 08-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #11
harryzgnilek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Right now there aren't many trail tires for the standard.
I gave it a thought a few months ago and yes you can put TKCs and Karoo3 but remember the rim width in the standard model is 3.50 front and 5.00 rear, you'll need the widest tires available. And that means $150-170 for a front tire and $215 for a rear karoo3 or $250-270 a rear TKC
These rear tires will last close to nothing in such a powerful bike, I couldn't afford installing a new tire every 3-4,000 km (TKC lasted 3,800 km in my 990)
Adv R rims are pretty wide too, 2.50 and 4,50, trail tires won't last either but at least you can get a 90/90 and 150/70 at half the price

Not trying to pee on your parade but giving you more facts so you can choose wisely.
Thanks but most driving will be road 20% trails
Old 08-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #12
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks but most driving will be road 20% trails
Then you won't need TKCs nor 21/18 wheels.
19/17 and OEM tires should be right for you

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Old 08-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #13
harryzgnilek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Then you won't need TKCs nor 21/18 wheels.
19/17 and OEM tires should be right for you

Thank you

Im sure im buying the right bike now :)
Old 08-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #14
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Im sure im buying the right bike now :)
I'm pretty sure you are. Trail attacks are not off road tires but still can manage easy trails; my buddy Martynho is running them right now on his 990R and as long as there is no sand or very tricky terrain he keeps up with the other 990s with scorpions and metzeler saharas.

Take a look at this video, the R is ridden by Chaleco Lopez (yep, the guy that was on the podium last Dakar) and the standard by a "normal guy" with an enduro history on his back
Jump to 3:30

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Old 08-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #15
harryzgnilek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you are. Trail attacks are not off road tires but still can manage easy trails; my buddy Martynho is running them right now on his 990R and as long as there is no sand or very tricky terrain he keeps up with the other 990s with scorpions and metzeler saharas.

Take a look at this video, the R is ridden by Chaleco Lopez (yep, the guy that was on the podium last Dakar) and the standard by a "normal guy" with an enduro history on his back
Jump to 3:30

amazing

appreciate it..
now time to plan a 3 month trip