Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #17926
Manray
Killing Time

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by munsonbw View Post
I know I will get biased results here but what the hell, let's see what happens.

I currently have a 2006 Scrambler and 2005 Tiger. I bought the Tiger because I found the Scram not very convenient to commute to work on. I wanted to be able to carry my laptop safely and dry as well as something, well, more mile eating. I have a 30 mile commute and found that the scram was just not in its zone doing secondary highway cruising with the purpose of being transportation. The Tiger does this job well and with 2 Givi 30L cases I have room to spare for laptop, bag, raingear, helmet etc.

Now, the problem: I expected to love the Tiger or find it of no added benefit and sell one or the other. However, I took the Tiger on a 7 hour trip to the Smokies and it was fabulous. I only had ridden a couple hour trips before that and just loved the ability to stand up, sit down, rear pegs, rear seat, etc. Never an issue with finding a place to be comfortable. I haven't done this on the scram and I have the same basic trip coming up again this fall. I think I will trailer the bike to save time and ride at night, so no reason to have a mile eater.

The real problem is I only ride enough to justify one motorcycle. I don't need the money, but at the same time it is taking up space and I ride each one only a couple times a month. For whatever reason I just like getting in my car eating breakfast and drinking coffee, completely unthought and last minute. The scam is the bike I love to ride. It sounds awesome and is a hoot to ride. The ability to customize it to look like what you want is a real selling point for me. But when I think about that trip on the Tiger I just think: a better windscreen and its the perfect bike. I would change nothing, not one thing.

Thoughts???
The Scram can also carry 2 side cases and a top case for your needs....

[IMG][/IMG]

[

Manray screwed with this post 01-22-2014 at 10:55 AM
Manray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #17927
munsonbw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Thanks for the replies, guys/gals. I know you can't answer for me, but it is always good to get input on how to approach a decision.

Fire Escape: Sorry, that should have been DRIVE at night. I do not like the idea of riding at night period, but that is just me.

Sprouty115 & bross: Good thoughts, but not really looking to sell two to get one, more picking of the two I have.

Manray: I like that setup and have been really thinking of going the luggage route for the scram when the need arises. How do you find it riding the miles on yours? I guess I need to try and see.
munsonbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #17928
munsonbw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE K View Post
I have an 08 with Arrow exhaust, baffle in, and main jets changed from 110 to 115. It runs strong through out the RPM range after warmed up but it takes a good five minutes or so to get warm and smooth out. Low RPM until then is rough and it does not want to pull unless choked a bit. It is a PITA until warmed up and so I don't ride it as much as I'd like to. Is this normal or should I be looking for a good mechanic?
I am far from the expert, but my recent reading on jetting (due to a change to pod filters) suggests you are lean. Are you leaving the choke on until warmed up or just to start? You say low rpm, do you mean steady speed/throttle position or at low rpm, WOT? What is you intake situation? For reference, here is something from the collective at t-rat:

Stock exhaust with snorkel................110 / 40 / no shims / 1.5 turns
Open exhaust + no snorkel................115 / 40 / no shims / 2.0 turns
Above + Restrictor gone....................120 / 40 / 1 shim / 1.0 turns
Above + enlarged filter inlet...............130 / 40 / no shims / 1.75 turns
Above + RHS opened up....................135 / 40 / no shims / 2.0 turns
Above + velocity stacks.....................145 / 40 / no shims / 2.5 turns
With ARK + good pod filters............. >145 / 40 / no shims / 2.5 turns

Using this info you might just need to fatten up the low end with the pilot screw.
munsonbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #17929
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
...Sprouty115 & bross: Good thoughts, but not really looking to sell two to get one, more picking of the two I have.
Then it becomes an easy decision - keep the Scrambler. Its a classic design and its looks are timeless, whereas that Tiger is, uhm, neither.
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #17930
Manray
Killing Time

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, guys/gals. I know you can't answer for me, but it is always good to get input on how to approach a decision.

Fire Escape: Sorry, that should have been DRIVE at night. I do not like the idea of riding at night period, but that is just me.

Sprouty115 & bross: Good thoughts, but not really looking to sell two to get one, more picking of the two I have.

Manray: I like that setup and have been really thinking of going the luggage route for the scram when the need arises. How do you find it riding the miles on yours? I guess I need to try and see.
Just completed an 8000 mile ride across the country and overall the bike was super fun to ride. The only problem I had was with front wheel wobble. When there is barely any wind, the bike loaded as you see can safely get to 100 mph (actual speed is about 10 mph less) without any front wheel shimmy. With wind, the front wheel would shimmy when I got near 90 mph.

There are many factors that can affect front wheel wobble. You'd have to experiment with your setup to see if my scenario is valid on your bike. That said, the front wheel wobble on my bike wasn't so bad that I felt a loss of control. Pushing down hard on the handlebar/front end would reduce the wobble or simply easing off the gas would eliminate the wobble.

Manray screwed with this post 03-25-2014 at 09:58 PM
Old 08-06-2013, 01:04 AM   #17931
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manray View Post
Just completed an 8000 mile ride across the country and overall the bike was super fun to ride. The only problem I had was with front wheel wobble. When there is barely any wind, the bike loaded as you see can safely get to 100 mph (actual speed is about 10 mph less) without any front wheel shimmy. With wind, the front wheel would shimmy when I got near 90 mph.

There are many factors that can affect front wheel wobble. You'd have to experiment with your setup to see if my scenario is valid on your bike. That said, the front wheel wobble on my bike wasn't so bad that I felt a loss of control. Pushing down hard on the handlebar/front end would reduce the wobble or simply easing off the gas would eliminate the wobble.
Have you posted pictures off the trip on a thread manray?

http://www.triumph-hinckley.no/

[/URL]
henryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #17932
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
I want a bit of storage for my scram, I have been searching with no luck...is there a rack that will mount only on the left side, opposite the exhaust, for holding only one case? I have a top rack and could put a top case on, but Id like a single side case if possible.
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #17933
ArmyDOC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by NesquikNinja View Post
I want a bit of storage for my scram, I have been searching with no luck...is there a rack that will mount only on the left side, opposite the exhaust, for holding only one case? I have a top rack and could put a top case on, but Id like a single side case if possible.
I just ordered one from the dealer. It's Chrome and you can order the entire system (bag included) for $349.99. I believe it was called the "CITY BAG LUGGAGE SYSTEM". The rack itself was $70.99.

I'll do a search to get the part # and get back to you.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #17934
b0rderman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
I have a used bag and rack, the same ArmyDOC is speaking of, that I would be willing to part with. PM if interested.
b0rderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #17935
ArmyDOC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by NesquikNinja View Post
http://www.triumphmcparts.com/produc.../A9733403.html

Pannier Rail, LH, Chrome.

Stock CodeA9733403
ManufacturerTriumph Motorcycles
CategoriesAccessories; Accessories (Motorcycle)
Old 08-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #17936
Thrash Unreal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Rear tail light problems

I installed an aftermarket LED tail light on my 13 Scrambler, and I am having an issue with it that has been driving me insane for the last few days.

The tail light is a three wire tail light (As shown below). All the wires are hooked up correctly, and they all have power. I even tested with a voltage meter.

The rear tail light does not light up as a running light whenever power is turned on. However, it does stay on constant when the bike is in Park. The headlight also comes on in park, so I know it's not the #10 fuse.

The brake light works fine, even when the running light is not showing when the bike is in the On position. Both blinkers are aftermarket, are wired up, and work fine, as do the front headlights.

Also, finishing up the wiring in the rear and I saw this plug:

I don't remember ever unplugging it, but I did do the BC airbox delete kit. That was two months ago though, and my memory is a little fuzzy. I looked in the wiring diagram and everywhere under the battery box and everywhere else the wire would reach to and I can't figure it out to save my life.

Thanks
Thrash Unreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #17937
ClineDesign
Grandpa

Oddometer: 334
Perhaps the diagnostic port?

ClineDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #17938
Thrash Unreal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClineDesign View Post
Perhaps the diagnostic port?

Yeah, totally feel like an idiot now. It's the diagnostic port. Thanks.

BUT, the tail light is still an issue now...If someone just has that simple of an answer for that one too, I'd be set.
Thrash Unreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #17939
strafkommando
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10

For only having her for a few months shes coming along very nicely. Just ripped out the air box baffle, put in a triumph twin power bellmouth and dna filter, slapped on some D&D slip ons, and threw in some thruxton needles with 132(tried 135s but dropped down) mains. Not sold on the thruxton needles and may go back to stock with one shim (seemed to pull harder). Im really happy the bike has more pull but I feel like I just got myself sucked into an endless cycle of tinkering and tuning since I don't have the time or money on hand for a dyno run.
strafkommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:22 AM   #17940
Manray
Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryII View Post
Have you posted pictures off the trip on a thread manray?
Henry, no pics posted to any blog or journal except for the ones above. I lost my digital camera earlier this year riding in Africa so only have a handful of mobile phone pics which is not enough to compose a ride report.

Manray screwed with this post 01-22-2014 at 10:53 AM