ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
btao OP
RIP Lilolita

Oddometer: 1,009
Question Northwest CT dirt road mapping quest

So, it's been a little slow at work lately, so I had a little time to put together a map of all the dirt roads in the northwest quadrant of the state. To say it's tedious, time consuming, pain in the balls, is well, spot on......

But alas, I couldn't let all that time go to waste, so here's a screen cap for ya:

Yea, there really is that many, and they are all public roads.....

So, here's the deal You PM me, get the download of the map, and with a little teamwork, let's try to make some sense and play connect the dots, so to speak and get some coherent routes out of it. Point to point, loops, whatever. A little variety is nice...

If you ask nice, I'll point you to the original maps they came from, which some may have already found... They're free, super acurate, and provided by your tax dollars! (but you can't do squat with them other than print em)

I have all the published dirt roads for NY too, so if there's any counties you're interested in and want those roads mapped or listed, let me know!

I haven't found any base maps for Google yet that include state forest roads to identify, so if you have any lines on those, please send them over and I'll include those in version 2.0

cheers,
btao
Old 07-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
rider257
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I would be interested in laying down some tracks and sharing them just started digging into some nice stuff in the north west by new cannan and Salisbury. Also if you have Columbia county NY that would nice. Pm with the maps if you could
rider257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
Kainic
Almost there

Oddometer: 381
Just sent you a PM. Located in S.CT.
Kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:31 AM   #4
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,129
I rode a 50 mile (mostly dirt) track from Washington to Housatonic state forest that worked out awesome, river Rd to Skiff MT was ripping fun. And was able to explore a couple side roads in Housy. till the rain rolled in. You have a fantastic back yard and would love to explore it more. May hang out and camp Saturday night in that neck of the woods...

PM me if you're interested in the Washington to Housy track

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider257 View Post
I would be interested in laying down some tracks and sharing them just started digging into some nice stuff in the north west by new cannan and Salisbury. Also if you have Columbia county NY that would nice. Pm with the maps if you could

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:27 AM   #5
rider257
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
these roads here are Washington mtn and west road great stuff super pretty sorry for the delay in sharing
rider257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:23 AM   #6
AndytheElder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Were you able to ride that road over the mountain all the way through? I was up there earlier in the summer and ran into Jersey barriers blocking the road in the vicinity of the state line. Lots of parked cars in the area from hikers doing the trails.
AndytheElder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Road blocked

I rode that area 3 years ago and there were barriers blocking the road at the state line at that time.

Looked like a permanent closure to me!
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
AndytheElder
Adventurer

Took advantage of the great weather today and tried my hand at stringing together as much gravel road as I could to get across the state from south to north. I came up with a 100 mile ride that starts near Southford Falls in Oxford and ends at RT 183 where it crosses the south end of the TMT. If anyone is interested, I'll post my tracks of the ride once I have a chance to clean them up.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2013, 06:22 AM   #9
btao OP
RIP Lilolita

That looks fantastic Andy! I'd be interested in the GPX when you're done with it.

-Andy
Old 10-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
AndytheElder
Adventurer

Here it is. Check this out on your computer before trying it since this is the first .gpx file I have uploaded. All the gravel roads are town roads that are maintained to some degree (most very well).

The most interesting bits (for me) were N. Kent Rd which climbs off River Rd in Kent to Skiff Mt Rd. Road goes up hill with numerous water bars to jump or roll over depending on your speed.

The other bit was Mt Easter Rd which climbs over to Rt 7 after you leave Sharon. Its a bona fide double track. All in all, its a nice ride with no "hero" sections.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx 02-OCT-13_CT to TMT.GPX (49.5 KB, 304 views)
Old 10-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
btao OP
RIP Lilolita

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndytheElder View Post
Here it is. Check this out on your computer before trying it since this is the first .gpx file I have uploaded. All the gravel roads are town roads that are maintained to some degree (most very well).

The most interesting bits (for me) were N. Kent Rd which climbs off River Rd in Kent to Skiff Mt Rd. Road goes up hill with numerous water bars to jump or roll over depending on your speed.

The other bit was Mt Easter Rd which climbs over to Rt 7 after you leave Sharon. Its a bona fide double track. All in all, its a nice ride with no "hero" sections.
Looks great, loaded up fine. Can't wait to test it out!

Has anyone tried the loop I put together yet? I don't remember who has it. Holler if you want it. Couple of hours just to the right of your route Andy.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #12
AndytheElder
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post

Has anyone tried the loop I put together yet? I don't remember who has it. Holler if you want it.
Point me to where I can get it and I'd love to ride it!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #13
btao OP
RIP Lilolita

Just shoot me a pm with your email and you'll have it pronto :)

sent from my portable multipurpose communicator
Old 10-04-2013, 04:52 AM   #14
AndytheElder
Adventurer

PM sent
Old 10-04-2013, 06:11 AM   #15
btao OP
RIP Lilolita

Quote: