User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #76
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
No Business Lookout

Did a little camping, geocaching and riding this past weekend, with the highlight of the weekend being No Business Lookout. Had a few other destinations on the schedule of events, but as usual, ran out of time. Visual of our wanderings

First up was "On Top of the World Cache". Ran into a herd of Elk on the way. Young one's in the bunch as well. Don't usually have the camera ready, but we were parked at the cache

Cache was placed here almost 2 years ago and we are the "First to Find"

Parked near the cache. Hillside in the background still green. Been very hot and dry out here causing most thinks to dry up and turn brown

That water looks good. To bad it's so far away. Spotted Cascade Lake as we near the lookout. If you look close you can see a sailboat out in the middle

Ah, here's our destination - No Business Lookout (had a cache here too). Notice the "Bird cage" lightning protection system surrounding the lookout.
It was busy up here today with lots of traffic.

Did I mention it was busy!

Walk way to the outhouse

Cozy place for the outhouse

George on the doggie lookout platform

Me signing the geocache log here at the lookout

Everyone left the lookout but us. The lookout is here in the picture. Very nice guy and gave us a tour. Notice this is a two story cabin lookout with a storage type basement area too

Mr. Lookout showed us around the place. Here is his first floor living area. This lookout is also unique in that it has electricity, but no running water

Old phone and fire extinguisher

Viewing south from the top floor

Here's the Osborne Firefinder thingy. History link: http://www.nysforestrangers.com/arch...y%20kresek.pdf

Viewing NE of Payette Lake and McCall, Idaho. One sure can see a lot up here

George resting while we get ready to leave the lookout

Unfortunately, you can also see some of the fires up here too

On a nearby mountain top, we can see the launching of an Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM)

Of course I may have this wrong? Oops, it's just an FAA navigation thing, my bad

After visiting the lookout, we spent the rest of the day wondering some old logging roads and taking a break now and then...in the shade

What, road construction up on a logging road? We did have to do some backtracking and finding other routes

Great day of riding and now time for some R & R. Hope you enjoy

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:29 AM   #77
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Old 08-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #78
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Old 08-06-2013, 06:36 AM   #79
r80rt
Dirt road nomad

Oddometer: 124
I love this thread, Thanks Admiral
Old 08-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #80
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

No Business Revisited

Glad you like it r80rt and I assure you, I enjoy the riding part of it too!

Well, the wife and I wanted to finish exploring some roads and find out where they led. Since we camped at our same spot as a couple weeks ago, and with the girls in tow, we thought we'd ride up and show them No Business Lookout.

Day started out like it does most days when camping, me up early staring at the machine's while waiting for everyone to wake up. I actually have to sometimes wait 2-3 hours for everone to rise and shine. So, here I sit and mess around with the camera

So, after waiting for hours and hours to get going, we finally head down the road with the atv crew behind me to...

No Business Lookout

Girls soaking in the views from the lookout

After the lookout, we find the road we want to explore and after a few hours we end up at Fish Lake near'ish to McCall, ID

Spot a fisherman in a tree overlooking the lake

...and Georgie doing her part to find fish...I guess. Maybe she's just cooling off! Either way, she likes the water

After departing Fish Lake, we take another unknown to us road back to camp which eventually came out to a place we had found a geocache on our earlier ride. So, we took a quick break and then headed back to camp.

I'll tell you, I'd much rather camp and ride than go to work! See ya next time.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #81
mysz74
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Love it!

Great ride reports! You're driving my dream! Keep us posted on new rides. I really loved this pic:
mysz74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #82
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysz74 View Post
Great ride reports! You're driving my dream! Keep us posted on new rides. I really loved this pic:
Glad you like the thread. When I ride alone, it's nice to have Georgie with me. She has been a great riding partner. Hope to see some ride post's of your's in the future.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #83
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Birch Creek & Morrison Ranches on the Owyhee River, Eastern Oregon

Nothing like riding on a dusty, hot 90-100 degree day, through miles and miles of sagebrush down into a remote river canyon to do some more splor'in. The ride down to these ranches are more or less a follow up to my Twin Springs ride. Quick note, the ranches are sometimes grouped together under the Birch Creek Ranch, but are in fact two seperate ranches. Also, the Morrison Ranch and airstrip are also know as the Pinnacle Ranch. I've not found information on the name change so far, but the BLM still calls it the Morrison Ranch for what it's worth.

There use to be a couple of river fords near the ranches, but a flood in the mid 1990's and the area designated protected by the National Wild and Scenic Rivers Act river, I'm not sure one is suppose to ford the river anymore. It's been done (not by me), and I found a place to cross, but time and distance are not on my side. Which is why this has turned into a series, with the Twin Springs ride #1 and Birch Creek/Morrison Ranches #2. There will be at least one more trip to the Watson area nearby, and hopefully the final chapter in the series, but maybe not!

Well, my day started with a slight delay. Rode for over 8 years and never got a flat. Put on new rear tire and in under 3 weeks I experience my first flat. I press on!

Time to unload and get going

While passing by I notice...I hate it when the cow's burn down a ranch house

On my way to Birch Creek, I pass by Jordan Craters. If I have time I'll stop by here on my way back. It's only 3 miles out of my way...by road!

Starting my decent into the Birch Creek drainage to the Owyhee River. In the far far distance, you can faintly see smoke from a fire (da) on the far ridge above the canyon rim.

Georgie always enjoys a water stop on a hot day. She really enjoyed the river down by the raft take out.

I can start to see the Owyhee River below a particular land formation know as "The Nipple". Also, if you look close you can see the rock and wood fence on the slope (left) above Birch Creek Ranch.

Birch Creek Ranch. BLM takes care of the ranches. Here's more information about the ranches history: http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/heri...birchcreek.php

The Morrison Ranch is about a mile up the road, downstream. Here is one of the irrigation waterwheels the ranchers used for their uses. There are still a few up and down the river. This is the only one I saw on this trip.

Just before I reach the Morrison Ranch, I come upon what they call "the bone yard". Lots of old farm implement items. Old and older!

First building at the Morrison Ranch. With the little research I've done, I know this was the root cellar. Morrison actually lived in it at some point also.

Morrison ranch house and some other structures at the ranch

Just past the Morrison Ranch is a river take out for rafters. Due to low water levels in summer, most of the rafting is done in the spring or early summer, depending on river level

At the north end of the Morrison Ranch is a remote airstrip. Because of the Wild and Scenic River designation, it's only for emergencies.

More landing strip. There are also campsites along the airstrip next to the river (not shown)

Time to head home. Cool views climbing back out of the Birch Creek Canyon

Since I had a little time on the way back, I took a quick trip to Jordan Craters. Interesting and hot!

Neat looking in the crater. You can see the volcanic lava flow in the background

Well, that's all for this ride. See ya next trip!

Old 08-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #84
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Hey Admiral -- That last post is cool. Really like the irrigation water wheels and the "boneyard." Dual sport motorcycles and exploring back roads is a winning combination. Great riding area. Thanks!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #85
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Old 08-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #86
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
Great pics Admiral. I've always wanted to get in there more. Up headwaters way did a loop of the Jarbidge once, looked out from God's Pocket. Sat on a rock at about 10,000 feet, looked down and found some old boy's Prince Albert can. Amazing how old timers got around that dry, rocky country. We're spoilt with rubber soled shoes, motors etc.
psmcd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #87
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

More Depot's and Stuff

Finally got around to visiting some old railroad depot's (and other stuff). Here are several short day ride's, mostly pavement, which I've done so far this summer.

I've ridden by the old depot in Nyssa, Oregon many times and it finally made my list. It looked much more modern than some of the others I have visited, but haven't found much online information regarding this depot.

However, I was able to find an old photo on Facebook (Our History ~ Our Turn-The Payette County Heritage and Tourism Commission). This site shows a photo from 1940, so I'll assume the depot was from the 1930's era, just a guess.

Next up was the depot in Ontario, Oregon. I believe these depots were constructed during the Oregon Shortline ownership era. This line was taken over by the Union Pacific Railroad, which still use the tracks today. I believe the depots themselves have been handed over to the cities in which they are located.

Next on the depot list to visit was Weiser, Idaho

From the Weiser Train Depot, I'm gonna head west and see whats down Olds Ferry rd. Olds Ferry road deadends about 20 miles at Steck Park at a BLM Recreation Campground.

On the way to Steck Park, I ride past the Weiser Sand Dunes OHV (Idaho), which is across the river from Farewell Bend State Park on the Oregon side of the Snake River. Farewell Bend is generally where the Oregon trail settlers departed the Snake River heading westward, bidding farewell to the Snake. I believe Farewell Bend is also in the general vicinity of the various Olds Ferry Locations

Since I'm riding by myself, I believe it will be wise not to venture into the dunes and risk getting stuck. Without paddle tires, I guarantee you will get stuck if you stop on the sand

Unfortunately, this guy with two young children wasn't aware of what happens when riding/driving in the dunes. Guy said he had a wrecker on the way. After making sure he had plenty of water for him and his kids, I continued on thankful I didn't try riding in the dunes myself!

As I approach Steck Park, I see what I've come looking for...a railroad trestle spanning the Snake River from Idaho to Oregon

Steck Park, the trestle and poweline, are at the southern headwaters area of the 57 mile long Brownlee Reservoir along the Snake River. It is the first of 3 reservoirs in Hells Canyon, followed by Oxbow and Hells Canyon Dam. You can drive across Oxbow Dam into some great riding areas of NE Oregon towards Wallowa Lake, Joseph and Enterprise Oregon

Although this fella has been run over and taken out of service, it's not all that unusual to find a snake, along the Snake River!

Stay tuned for more

Old 08-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #88
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
The old buildings are way cool, especially since you've tracked down the old photos.

Brilliant!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:46 AM   #89
PapaYolk
Ride Along

Oddometer: 1,402
Good Stuff

Was twin springs capped? I keep coming across springs that we have used for years that have had the drinking feed pipes removed because EPA mandates testing but controlling agencies, BLM, BoR, NFS, ect., don't allocate funding for tests, even on highways, like the springs outside Burns Junction.

Love the pics of my old CT90 stomping grounds, back when I was spry and fit.

healed

[ fade to black ]
PapaYolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #90
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 2,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaYolk View Post
Was twin springs capped? I keep coming across springs that we have used for years that have had the drinking feed pipes removed because EPA mandates testing but controlling agencies, BLM, BoR, NFS, ect., don't allocate funding for tests, even on highways, like the springs outside Burns Junction.

Love the pics of my old CT90 stomping grounds, back when I was spry and fit.

The pipe at Twin Springs that used to run water was yanked out a few years back. I'm sure glad my tax dollars are paying for bright ideas like that.