Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #76
nomad guy
A legal alien

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lewis View Post
what about the Luxury Rally Twin Cylinder Mid-Displacement class?

Sure, If you are Jimmy Lewis

04 KTM ADV 950S GO!!!!!
09 KTM 690 ENDURO R
nomad guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #77
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad guy View Post
You mean like this one ?
Yup....you can't go anywhere on that pos....

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #78
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
You mean like this one ?
That will do it ;)

But thats a frankenbike.. Next you will pull out a picture of the posties with TKC80's and MotoX suspension..

Or how about a hyundai with a suzuki sierra chassis?... you get my point..
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #79
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTomKx View Post
First thing that most people say about my 990 is

... that is a big bike

I don't understand why KTM is going to the 1190. My friends ride 1000cc sport bikes and I can keep up on the 990. Bike is designed to do some good offroad adventures while it's still fantastic on the pavement. I feel like KTM is trying to compete with the BMW. I've seen a GS off road and I wasn't impressed.

Saying that I think the 990/950's will be more desirable after they are no longer in production.

the 1190 is a different postcode, compare it to the new f800gsa they are the same weight but I'd much prefer the 1190 R in the tricky stuff over the f800GSA, so I just bought one 2 days ago ;)
Old 08-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #80
xTomKx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 speed View Post
The 690 is still heavy though and really all you did was lose the Vtwin smoothness. I was hoping Aprilia or someone could perfect, say a 650 twin, that weighs in around the weight of the 530- 257lbs or so dry. That would be of interest.
I'm with you on that 5 speed. Wish KTM put a small v-twin into a 690 chassis.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:01 AM   #81
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTomKx View Post
I'm with you on that 5 speed. Wish KTM put a small v-twin into a 690 chassis.
Aprillia almost did it with their RXV 550 but they are an angry maintenance hungry high performer.

If they made that a little softer in the power, fattened up the torque and thus made more reliable and get a bigger tank etc that would be a real winner, it would of course like every adventure bike need the swag of changes / mods / personalizations to make it how you want it but that is also half the fun.

For me for the future I see a lighter bike, DRZ400 style of thing, Maya is great for us two up adventure touring but restricting if I want to to to the tight stuff, its all a compromise.

(EDIT) link to 550 http://www.motorcycleshdwallpaper.co...ws-motorcycle/
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:11 AM   #82
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Seems like the thing anyone can take from this thread is that there is never going to be just one answer. A bike with decent wind protection, power and comfort for long paved legs, and good high speed stability is likely never going to be a good trail bike, where you want ground clearance, low weight, somewhat shorter wheelbase, less body parts to break, and reasonable seat height. Right now, to me, a KTM 950/990 is about as close as you can get, with the further option of the SE if you do more off road, or the adventure if you want a little more comfort on the long haul. That said, it's still too heavy to ride solo with great peace of mind - it's hard to pick up, and if you get it stuck in deep sand or mud, good luck...

Many of the people I've met who are in the downsizing category now drive to the area they're planning on riding in, unload, and then ride. I don't know that many people would say a 250 on the highway at ~70 mph for long periods of time qualifies as fun or comfortable, and I always end up feeling much more worn out if I travel on the XT350.

I really think that we'll continue to see a divide - a decent selection of low-capacity dual sport bikes, and a small selection of higher-capacity, higher-price 'adventure' bikes, with many of these adventure bikes becoming more highway oriented. From there, it will be up to the aftermarket and the original owner to modify a platform to fit a specific need. Seems to me that most people who buy a GSA don't do much off roading (gravel still counts as a road, at least for this example) and probably many people with KTM 9X0s don't use the off-road ability much either-thus the more street-oriented 1190. Nothing wrong with that, but a manufacturer can sell a lot more bikes by appealing to the majority preferences.
1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon sleeper tow car
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #83
nomad guy
A legal alien

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
That will do it ;)

But thats a frankenbike.. Next you will pull out a picture of the posties with TKC80's and MotoX suspension..

Or how about a hyundai with a suzuki sierra chassis?... you get my point..
I agree, it is one of a kind so is the rider who took it to Cape York.
My point is: dont let the category of your bike dictate where you go.
I was fortunate enough to spend a few years in south east Asia where the main personal transportation mode is 100-150cc bikes. Those things go everywhere. People there dont care about which bike is the best for riding two-up because most of them go three-up and more.
Riding through rush hour in HCMC (Saigon) is a true adventure.
It's not that i am living in a cave and dont understand what's the big deal about modern bikes. Hell, i own a 950s and a 690R because they are so much fun. But i dont think most of my rides are adventures because someone put an "Adventure" sticker on them.

04 KTM ADV 950S GO!!!!!
09 KTM 690 ENDURO R
nomad guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #84
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,728
If I could have my 950 Adventure, and my XR600 could somehow grow a sixth gear, I would have all I would ever need.

Well, at least until I am too feeble to pick up either one.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #85
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
If I could have my 950 Adventure, and my XR600 could somehow grow a sixth gear, I would have all I would ever need.

Well, at least until I am too feeble to pick up either one.
Or Kick/Push the 600. Then it's time to take up golf.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #86
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
The last thing you want on an adventure ride is to be hammering single track at breakneck speeds with all of your luggage on the back. This will most certainly leave you stranded at some point, whether it be bike damage or if you come off and break a leg or something. I don't understand the need for such power to weight ratio for travel, at the end of an entire day of riding you may have been 30 minutes or so quicker but with far greater risk and then you'll be so tired the following day you won't be able to concentrate.

Then there's the extra maintenance... if you take it easy your moto will last much longer as screws won't be vibrating lose, wheels won't get damaged (bound to happen if you're going too fast in an area with pot holes), rocks won't be flying into the engine, suspension working full time etc.

Also don't forget the fuel efficiency. Any weight savings and power you gain from a high performance moto will be replaced by the fuel needed to power it for long stretches between destinations. Open up the air intake, derestrict exhaust, change carby jets etc, all these things will have a huge effect on your efficiency. Carrying an extra 10l of fuel is not easy.

Oh and don't forget the initial cost, a DR650 is much cheaper than a KTM690 but after 50,000km the DR will start to look far more attractive... and on the road every day it doesn't take long to hit this.
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #87
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
Or Kick/Push the 600. Then it's time to take up golf.
Hondas rarely need pushing, but when I am too old to kick it, I'll know I am in trouble.

Do they let you do wheelies with the golf carts?

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #88
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
But i dont think most of my rides are adventures because someone put an "Adventure" sticker on them.
Too true.. ;)
We just need to push the envelope a little when it comes to what we can and apparently cant do..
Old 08-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #89
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
Do they let you do wheelies with the golf carts?
Even better yet..
Old 08-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #90
Gillberg375
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Very cool bike Salvador ... y carrisimo en Colombia, no? Y, muy pesada tambien. Como 230 kgs.

This weight is what BMW claim to be the "wet weight". I doubt this ... and would bet a dollar it's at least 530 lbs. wet. .. or more.
Now ... fill up your hard bags (about 40 lbs. alone, unloaded) with all your crap ... now what weight are you up to?

To me, this bike goes down a dead end road for anyone serious about exploring off road. Sure, it's smaller, lighter than the 1200 GS, but not all that much lighter in the ADV form shown above.
If you stay on road ... or only ever do easy dirt roads ... PERFECT. But I for one would never take that bike on a trail of any kind, or into deep sand or mud. YMMV.

Here is my "middle of the road" bike. And it's dirt cheap too ....
The GS looks pretty good.

Tell us how you managed to get your bike to Mars??
Gillberg375 is offline   Reply With Quote