Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 05:57 AM   #1426
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,182

the amount of abuse Seb gets.. you'd think he has no fans....
speaking of............

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #1427
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
For some reason I thought Korea was already dead.

Alonso not quite his usual professional self after Hungary.

Gets a spanking from Ferrari. I admire his driving but not his personality. For that reason I wouldn't mind seeing him at Red Bull, where dissension and chaos would be sure to follow.

Meanwhile, Ferrari try to figure out how not to become "Williams but with money." They've churned personnel, James Allison being the latest addition. The constant has been Stefano Domenicali. Maybe he's the problem?

Stefano is a knuckle head, he pushed out Schumi, that was a bad idea ruined a great drive who could have won more WCD's IMHO that dude is hurting Ferrarai

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #1428
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

5 drivers who may not be in F1 in 2014....

LINK

Old 08-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #1429
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

not really "news" but it does seem a shame... they are doing pretty well considering.

Quote:
Lotus reportedly struggling financially

Although fighting for the 2013 World Championship, Lotus are struggling to pay their bills
Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Kimi Raikkonen has not been paid by Lotus recently (Glenn Dunbar/Lotus F1 Team)

August 6th, 2013 (GMM) - Troubling signs of financial weakness are emerging from Lotus.
The German website motorsport-total.com reports that, although in the hunt for the 2013 title, the Genii-owned outfit is "struggling to survive" under EUR 120 million of debt.
For example, although Kimi Raikkonen is second only to Sebastian Vettel in the chase for the drivers' championship, development of the 2013 car is apparently all but over.
Asked also about rumours of 'money problems', leading Lotus engineer Alan Permane admitted to Auto Motor und Sport: "We have not much more in the pipeline for 2013.
"What was planned has already been developed and will be used in the corresponding race," he added.
It is a worrying sign for a team fighting for a world championship, and pushing to keep lead driver Raikkonen on the books for 2013.
Indeed, amid rumours Red Bull and Ferrari are bidding to sign the Finn for 2014, Raikkonen admitted mere days ago that he is still waiting to be paid.
"This happened last year, now again so it is not ideal," said the 33-year-old.
Lotus owner Genii announced in June that a consortium called Infinity Racing has bought 65 per cent of the Enstone based team.
But reports soon followed that the deal is not actually done, with the subsequent delay having left Lotus - and Raikkonen - waiting for the money.
"We are going to reorganise the financial process of the company," team boss Eric Boullier is quoted by the Finnish broadcaster MTV3.
"We are expecting a large financial investment, which is part of the team's future plans.
"There may be some delays, but it will be repaired within a few days. It is part of the discussions and we will give Kimi all the answers," said the Frenchman.
Boullier said he is hopeful the money issue will not cause Raikkonen to jump ship.
Asked how close a deal is, he insisted: "We are not very far from it.
"The package that ensures the future of the company is completed slowly, but we'll get there.
"He will get all the answers and be able to take a decision within a few weeks."

Old 08-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #1430
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 74,844
I was surprised to hear the comms saying during Hungary that Kimi hadn't been paid. It is a shame that such a promising team is struggling just when it appeared to be breaking through. Halting all development dooms them.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #1431
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,927
Quote:
I was surprised to hear the comms saying during Hungary that Kimi hadn't been paid. It is a shame that such a promising team is struggling just when it appeared to be breaking through. Halting all development dooms them.
i used to be torn between technological free-for-all, race-what-you-brung, and a more regulated series that offered more opportunity for small team success.

hell, f1 now has a reasonably well-defined set of regulations and cost controls and it's still not looking sustainable for several teams.

i have no idea what the answer is. i'd still like to see indycar execute its plan for modular aero parts, but open wheel racing in the us is probably going to require a much tighter spec than something as globally popular as f1. these teams just flash in and out of existence, and unless you have a huge red bull-like sponsor your odds of success are limited.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #1432
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by green hell View Post
these teams just flash in and out of existence, and unless you have a huge red bull-like sponsor your odds of success are limited.
Red Bull isn't a sponsor, they own two teams.

In one respect, they are the way forward. Unlike car manufacturer teams, Red Bull's core business doesn't suffer when their cars fail to perform. Even when its mentioned that a Red Bull or Torro Rosso has expired beside the circuit, their product gets a mention and it doesn't harm the product.

At first glance, F1 seems like the perfect place for car manufacturers but as Honda, BMW, Renault, Jaguar (to mention the most recent) have found, success on the track is elusive and extremely costly to both reputation and profits.

We will never see a return to the days of the "garagistas" - John Cooper, Bruce McLaren, Colin Chapman, John Surtees, Ken Tyrell, Jack Brabham, Peter Sauber and Frank Williams wouldn't be able to create new teams today.

The future lies with unconnected companies like Red Bull that are prepared to do more than sponsor a team, global brands that want their products splashed over TV screens world-wide and their brand name mentioned each time that the team or a car is. Naming a team "Vodaphone McLaren Mercedes" doesn't work, people just call it McLaren.

Mercedes F1 were/are under pressure from their board. Rightly or wrongly the lack of results (until very recently) has been seen as damaging the brand. If the team were owned by a brand unconnected with the car industry it wouldn't matter as much that they are under-performing.

The problem for F1 is that the brands that might have most wanted to do what Red Bull have so successfully done are prohibited from doing so - tobacco and booze brands.

Thinking of brands that might buy teams can be fun. Team Tampax F1 anyone?
Old 08-08-2013, 12:35 AM   #1433
wxwax
Excited Member

Old racing saying: "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday."

That hasn't been true for a long, long time. And the reverse isn't true either. Failure to win races doesn't cost Ferrari, Mercedes, McLaren, Renault, or before them Toyota and BMW, any sales.

What it does do is cost them horrendous amounts of money which they find difficult to justify, especially when the world economy goes into the tank. The reason they find it difficult to justify is because there is no relationship between car sales, and success or failure on the track.

It's a branding exercise, and a very expensive one.

Red Bull doesn't just sell a drink. It has very successfully marketed its high caffeine content, and the concomitant rise in blood pressure and alertness, as an adventure. Red Bull slaps its logo on F1 cars, aerobatic airplanes, all manner of youth extreme sports and even parachutists diving from the edge of space.

It's a fantastically successful, holistic brand sell intended to appeal to youth and young adults. One reason Red Bull left NASCAR may well have been its aging demographics.

So you're never going to see Team Tampax in F1. The brand doesn't fit.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 08-08-2013, 02:58 AM   #1434
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Quote:
Old racing saying: "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday."

That hasn't been true for a long, long time. And the reverse isn't true either. Failure to win races doesn't cost Ferrari, Mercedes, McLaren, Renault, or before them Toyota and BMW, any sales.
I agree but then I never said it cost them sales.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #1435
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

time to bring back refueling!!!

Old 08-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #1436
wxwax
Excited Member

Apparently Ferrari isn't the only team to be befuddled by its wind tunnel. Last year's McLaren outperformed the wind the tunnel and this year's McLaren underperforms it. I wonder if someday they'll be able to mimic the dynamic conditions of a real track?

Quote:
Speaking in an exclusive interview with AUTOSPORT, team principal Martin Whitmarsh said that the combination of the 2012 car over-performing compared to its wind tunnel model and the 2013 car underperforming led to McLaren losing its way at the start of this year.

"Sometimes you're lucky in life and you stick all the elements together and they add up," said Whitmarsh. "Sometimes they just don't.

"There were times when it's come good and we don't really know why.

"At the end of last year, some of the developments over-performed. We were actually over-delivering at the track.

"That was another thing that caused this: we're always looking at the correlation between full-scale wind tunnel and CFD, and there's always an offset between those, and we work on that.

"That was another thing that has exacerbated this situation. The real [2012] car was actually better than the wind tunnel [model]."

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 08-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #1437
green hell
yawning or snarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post

Thinking of brands that might buy teams can be fun. Team Tampax F1 anyone?

"pull the string and watch them go!"

phrases they couldn't use:

"yeah, we've hit a rough patch but we think we've staunched the bleeding."

"there was a lot of traffic out there today so we just went with the flow."

(good points in your post, btw)

needless dickery
Old 08-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #1438
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green hell View Post

"pull the string and watch them go!"

phrases they couldn't use:

"They've made a right bloody mess of this year's car."
Old 08-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #1439
green hell
yawning or snarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post

"They've made a right bloody mess of this year's car."
"this car's a real bitch!"

i'm just gonna apologize for the inappropriate thread jack right now, but it's been too long since the last race and i've had too much time to think.

needless dickery
Old 08-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #1440
Bleemus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 952
Team Tampax.

The car is really fast but for some reason we have a real bad race every four weeks.

1999 BMW Funduro
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote