ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #91
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL
 
Night Falcon's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Nu Va Ze Lon
Oddometer: 1,472
I'd answer the OP's question by saying yes, adventure bikes are heading in 2 different directions but only from a marketing/manufacturers perspective.

Adventure riders themselves are heading in all directions as they have always done which is at the heart of the dilemma. From a purely financial perspective it makes much more sense to narrow peoples choice so you can better focus your energies and profits -manufactures can't make bikes to suit everyone so what you see out and about are people making the most of what's available. For me that ended up being this:




Aint she Purdy
__________________
My KTM 390 Adventure - we live in hope!
My KTM 690 - RIP
My Rev3 Trials Adventures
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:42 AM   #92
nomad guy
A legal alien
 
nomad guy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Stranded in Berkeley, CA
Oddometer: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post

Aint she Purdy
Yes she is.
__________________
Cheers
Guy

04 KTM ADV 950S GO!!!!!
09 KTM 690 ENDURO R
nomad guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #93
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lewis View Post
What, I got dragged into this and I don't even have a solution...

Wrote a nice column in Cycle World's Travel and Adventure (on the newsstand now) about this very problem. But to throw fuel on the fire, what about the Luxury Rally Twin Cylinder Mid-Displacement class?

I enjoyed the CW Adv issue ... well done. Nice to see you back in print! You're wife must be a Super Star rider! Good to see CW continuing to support this segment. Will be interesting to see how both MC and CW change with the merger. Thoughts?

I'd really like to see more long term "real world" reports from RTW riders ... and not all journos on $20K ADV bikes out for a day or three.

Is that you in the pic above riding the Honda? Yup, and Rodney Smith can ride a Vstrom off road too! Not all are so talented!

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 08-10-2013 at 09:58 AM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #94
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillberg375 View Post
The GS looks pretty good.

Tell us how you managed to get your bike to Mars??
Mars? Sorry mate, that's a new paved road in Baja. A severe wind storm blew the unsettled rock off the road cut. Pic from a few years back, pavement ended soon thereafter. Now ...? They've paved it ALL! Progress!

Like in OZ, if you get off the main tracks and start following the old Baja 1000 tracks ... it can get into DEEP sand and rocky too. Bit of a challenge on a 500 lbs. PLUS F800GS adv. I'm sure the pro riders could do it ... but fact is ... most GS riders I see in Baja are on the road. Fair enough.
The old DR can make some of the dirt sections with knobby tires if you don't over load the bike.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #95
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer
 
triplenickel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Campbell River, BC. Fantasy Island
Oddometer: 2,395
To the original question, yes the same as they've always been. GS's and XR's have been around a long time.
__________________
07 SE

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #96
SpringOly
Old Swede
 
SpringOly's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: High Country Colorado
Oddometer: 187
Nice Sticker too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
I'd answer the OP's question by saying yes, adventure bikes are heading in 2 different directions but only from a marketing/manufacturers perspective.

Adventure riders themselves are heading in all directions as they have always done which is at the heart of the dilemma. From a purely financial perspective it makes much more sense to narrow peoples choice so you can better focus your energies and profits -manufactures can't make bikes to suit everyone so what you see out and about are people making the most of what's available. For me that ended up being this:




Aint she Purdy
She is indeed purdy! I also appredciate the DSR sticker, well done!


I've owned a 2006 640 ADVENTURE and loved it! Now I have a 2008 950 SE and love it as well! Ride what ya got, the grass is always greener on your neighbor's lawn. In my case, it's because I'm out riding, not watering the damn lawn!

SpringOly screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 07:32 PM
SpringOly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #97
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Oddometer: 1,593
I think the principal issue is the kind of use people want from the bikes. To answer the OP's question, I think that manufacturers are recycling road bike engines and basic chassis set ups and calling them "Adventure" bikes.

What they are, in fact, is "Touring" bikes.

At the other end of the spectrum, what people are looking for is the old fashioned "Trail bike". Not a high maintenance "Enduro Bike".

The problem is, at the lighter end, no one is doing "Trail Bikes" with any seriousness. Yeah, Yamaha still do the TTR250 with a reliable low maintenance engine, and the WR250R Supertrail...but like someone else said, riding at freeway speeds on a 250 is over zealous at best.

Many have asked for a WR450 Supertrail. That or a better suspended version of the little Tenere would be the go. Maybe even a 500 version of the TTR. They used to have one, surely the engine is still used in something?

I built one of my DRs to fill exactly that role. MX suspension, lazy 650 engine. It fits the bill so perfectly. Yeah, it could be lighter. But, to be honest, I'm usually only thinking that when it's laying on top of me.

I'm thinking different thoughts when the BMW is on top of me. I carry a survival knife for a reason. I'll probably have to hack my own leg off one day. Fat pig of a thing.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:32 AM   #98
blackness
more riding
 
blackness's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Brisbane
Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
I think the principal issue is the kind of use people want from the bikes. To answer the OP's question, I think that manufacturers are recycling road bike engines and basic chassis set ups and calling them "Adventure" bikes.

What they are, in fact, is "Touring" bikes.

At the other end of the spectrum, what people are looking for is the old fashioned "Trail bike". Not a high maintenance "Enduro Bike".

The problem is, at the lighter end, no one is doing "Trail Bikes" with any seriousness. Yeah, Yamaha still do the TTR250 with a reliable low maintenance engine, and the WR250R Supertrail...but like someone else said, riding at freeway speeds on a 250 is over zealous at best.

Many have asked for a WR450 Supertrail. That or a better suspended version of the little Tenere would be the go. Maybe even a 500 version of the TTR. They used to have one, surely the engine is still used in something?

I built one of my DRs to fill exactly that role. MX suspension, lazy 650 engine. It fits the bill so perfectly. Yeah, it could be lighter. But, to be honest, I'm usually only thinking that when it's laying on top of me.

I'm thinking different thoughts when the BMW is on top of me. I carry a survival knife for a reason. I'll probably have to hack my own leg off one day. Fat pig of a thing.
Hurry up and buy a 950, you will still need the knife but it will be worth it..
blackness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:57 AM   #99
Pete640
I hate sand.......
 
Pete640's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Sanding something in the shed...
Oddometer: 1,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
I have wondered if it possible to put a 690 engine in the frame. In theory it shouldn't be too hard as long as you can make it work around the swing arm.

If a 450 RR wasn't so expensive it would make a great adventure bike.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

690rfr bikes are reasonable for what they're costing now.
__________________
Pete
For those who sit at home and dream-let them...Meoni
Pete640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #100
raceu2
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Reno
Oddometer: 38
The KTM 990 SMT looks nice. My local dealer has one outfitted with knobbies It is some what lighter than the adventure.
When I sat on it I find it is lower to the ground and feels so much lighter than my adventure due to the lower center of gravity.
Not sure if it would be any easier to pick up though. It is not as off road capable as the Adventure but he says it works well in the fire road scenario. It also has tubeless tires which is a plus. Just another option. As far as horse power I found that while I was in CA for 3 months lots of power was a plus on the 2 lane roads for passing, other wise you just set there and breath smoke. I think there is a rule in Guat. that if doesn't smoke you can't sell it.
raceu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #101
Boredsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTomKx View Post
I'm with you on that 5 speed. Wish KTM put a small v-twin into a 690 chassis.
My dream bike too BUT what about lacing up a 21" & 18" to an Aprilia Dorsoduro 750.... I read about a project (in "beasts" I think). This is probably the closest thing to the ultimate compromise going right now.
Boredsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #102
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.
 
v8toilet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Northwest U.S.
Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredsurfer View Post
My dream bike too BUT what about lacing up a 21" & 18" to an Aprilia Dorsoduro 750.... I read about a project (in "beasts" I think). This is probably the closest thing to the ultimate compromise going right now.
Hmmm... 12 litres? 100 mile range? The ultimate compromise is right.

I'm becoming more and more accepting of the single cylinder solution. Maintenance is easy, less failure points no extra cam chains or other BS. The 690 is cranking 60+ HP and is 100lbs lighter than any suitable ADV twin I'm aware of. I like a twin on the highway but I've logged alot of miles of tar on singles and they do the job admirably.

I've had a range of ADV bikes and never in my all my riding did I have a situation where it got hairy and I wished for more cylinders and/or weight.

v8toilet screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 03:32 PM
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #103
ThisWayHome
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco
Oddometer: 66
well said


Quote:
Originally Posted by whereisgibson View Post
People with the money to buy a mid-size adv bike pretty much all live where there are good roads and less trails, because they likely have a good job that requires all that infrastructure. Yes America/W.Europe have trails, but you don't need to use them. Unfortunately there aren't enough people in these places who actually ride to the places a mid-size adv should be ridden to sell enough to make one, because that would take a month or two riding to Africa or S.America, which means losing the sweet job that paid for it. So no demand.

The day that people in Africa have $10000 burning a hole in their pocket is the day you'll be able to buy a decent mid-size adventure bike. And that day will likely be about two decades after the Chinese have paved most of Africa, so they'll just want a GS anyway.
ThisWayHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #104
Meter Man
Living on a prayer
 
Meter Man's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Montana
Oddometer: 7,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
I think the principal issue is the kind of use people want from the bikes. To answer the OP's question, I think that manufacturers are recycling road bike engines and basic chassis set ups and calling them "Adventure" bikes.

What they are, in fact, is "Touring" bikes.

At the other end of the spectrum, what people are looking for is the old fashioned "Trail bike". Not a high maintenance "Enduro Bike".

The problem is, at the lighter end, no one is doing "Trail Bikes" with any seriousness. Yeah, Yamaha still do the TTR250 with a reliable low maintenance engine, and the WR250R Supertrail...but like someone else said, riding at freeway speeds on a 250 is over zealous at best.

Many have asked for a WR450 Supertrail. That or a better suspended version of the little Tenere would be the go. Maybe even a 500 version of the TTR. They used to have one, surely the engine is still used in something?

I built one of my DRs to fill exactly that role. MX suspension, lazy 650 engine. It fits the bill so perfectly. Yeah, it could be lighter. But, to be honest, I'm usually only thinking that when it's laying on top of me.

I'm thinking different thoughts when the BMW is on top of me. I carry a survival knife for a reason. I'll probably have to hack my own leg off one day. Fat pig of a thing.
I owned a DR650 for 6 years.

I would buy one as an adventure tourer again if they did several things:

CArtridge forks/better shock. Fully adjustable

Fuel injected

Better headlight

Bigger stock tank 5 gallon minimum


I know all but the fuel injection can be bought and bolted on but I've found that adding aftermarket parts doesn't always mean it will work right together.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #105
DirtJack
Adventurer
 
DirtJack's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Oddometer: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meter Man View Post
I owned a DR650 for 6 years.

I would buy one as an adventure tourer again if they did several things:

CArtridge forks/better shock. Fully adjustable

Fuel injected

Better headlight

Bigger stock tank 5 gallon minimum


I know all but the fuel injection can be bought and bolted on but I've found that adding aftermarket parts doesn't always mean it will work right together.
Sounds like a 690 to me. The 690, though pricy, would likely be cheaper that those mods on a DR.
__________________
Remember, you're reading this on the Internet and it was written by a guy who can remember stuff which never happened.
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2008 KTM 300 XC (plated)
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014