Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #91
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,472
I'd answer the OP's question by saying yes, adventure bikes are heading in 2 different directions but only from a marketing/manufacturers perspective.

Adventure riders themselves are heading in all directions as they have always done which is at the heart of the dilemma. From a purely financial perspective it makes much more sense to narrow peoples choice so you can better focus your energies and profits -manufactures can't make bikes to suit everyone so what you see out and about are people making the most of what's available. For me that ended up being this:

Aint she Purdy
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:42 AM   #92
nomad guy
A legal alien

Oddometer: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post

Aint she Purdy
Yes she is.

04 KTM ADV 950S GO!!!!!
09 KTM 690 ENDURO R
nomad guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #93
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lewis View Post
What, I got dragged into this and I don't even have a solution...

Wrote a nice column in Cycle World's Travel and Adventure (on the newsstand now) about this very problem. But to throw fuel on the fire, what about the Luxury Rally Twin Cylinder Mid-Displacement class?

I enjoyed the CW Adv issue ... well done. Nice to see you back in print! You're wife must be a Super Star rider! Good to see CW continuing to support this segment. Will be interesting to see how both MC and CW change with the merger. Thoughts?

I'd really like to see more long term "real world" reports from RTW riders ... and not all journos on $20K ADV bikes out for a day or three.

Is that you in the pic above riding the Honda? Yup, and Rodney Smith can ride a Vstrom off road too! Not all are so talented!

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 08-10-2013 at 09:58 AM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #94
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillberg375 View Post
The GS looks pretty good.

Tell us how you managed to get your bike to Mars??
Mars? Sorry mate, that's a new paved road in Baja. A severe wind storm blew the unsettled rock off the road cut. Pic from a few years back, pavement ended soon thereafter. Now ...? They've paved it ALL! Progress!

Like in OZ, if you get off the main tracks and start following the old Baja 1000 tracks ... it can get into DEEP sand and rocky too. Bit of a challenge on a 500 lbs. PLUS F800GS adv. I'm sure the pro riders could do it ... but fact is ... most GS riders I see in Baja are on the road. Fair enough.
The old DR can make some of the dirt sections with knobby tires if you don't over load the bike.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #95
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,395
To the original question, yes the same as they've always been. GS's and XR's have been around a long time.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #96
SpringOly
Old Swede

Oddometer: 187
Nice Sticker too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
I'd answer the OP's question by saying yes, adventure bikes are heading in 2 different directions but only from a marketing/manufacturers perspective.

Adventure riders themselves are heading in all directions as they have always done which is at the heart of the dilemma. From a purely financial perspective it makes much more sense to narrow peoples choice so you can better focus your energies and profits -manufactures can't make bikes to suit everyone so what you see out and about are people making the most of what's available. For me that ended up being this:

Aint she Purdy
She is indeed purdy! I also appredciate the DSR sticker, well done!

I've owned a 2006 640 ADVENTURE and loved it! Now I have a 2008 950 SE and love it as well! Ride what ya got, the grass is always greener on your neighbor's lawn. In my case, it's because I'm out riding, not watering the damn lawn!

SpringOly screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 07:32 PM
SpringOly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #97
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,593
I think the principal issue is the kind of use people want from the bikes. To answer the OP's question, I think that manufacturers are recycling road bike engines and basic chassis set ups and calling them "Adventure" bikes.

What they are, in fact, is "Touring" bikes.

At the other end of the spectrum, what people are looking for is the old fashioned "Trail bike". Not a high maintenance "Enduro Bike".

The problem is, at the lighter end, no one is doing "Trail Bikes" with any seriousness. Yeah, Yamaha still do the TTR250 with a reliable low maintenance engine, and the WR250R Supertrail...but like someone else said, riding at freeway speeds on a 250 is over zealous at best.

Many have asked for a WR450 Supertrail. That or a better suspended version of the little Tenere would be the go. Maybe even a 500 version of the TTR. They used to have one, surely the engine is still used in something?

I built one of my DRs to fill exactly that role. MX suspension, lazy 650 engine. It fits the bill so perfectly. Yeah, it could be lighter. But, to be honest, I'm usually only thinking that when it's laying on top of me.

I'm thinking different thoughts when the BMW is on top of me. I carry a survival knife for a reason. I'll probably have to hack my own leg off one day. Fat pig of a thing.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:32 AM   #98
blackness
more riding

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
I think the principal issue is the kind of use people want from the bikes. To answer the OP's question, I think that manufacturers are recycling road bike engines and basic chassis set ups and calling them "Adventure" bikes.

At the other end of the spectrum, what people are looking for is the old fashioned "Trail bike". Not a high maintenance "Enduro Bike".

The problem is, at the lighter end, no one is doing "Trail Bikes" with any seriousness. Yeah, Yamaha still do the TTR250 with a reliable low maintenance engine, and the WR250R Supertrail...but like someone else said, riding at freeway speeds on a 250 is over zealous at best.

Many have asked for a WR450 Supertrail. That or a better suspended version of the little Tenere would be the go. Maybe even a 500 version of the TTR. They used to have one, surely the engine is still used in something?

I built one of my DRs to fill exactly that role. MX suspension, lazy 650 engine. It fits the bill so perfectly. Yeah, it could be lighter. But, to be honest, I'm usually only thinking that when it's laying on top of me.

I'm thinking different thoughts when the BMW is on top of me. I carry a survival knife for a reason. I'll probably have to hack my own leg off one day. Fat pig of a thing.
Hurry up and buy a 950, you will still need the knife but it will be worth it..
blackness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:57 AM   #99
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
I have wondered if it possible to put a 690 engine in the frame. In theory it shouldn't be too hard as long as you can make it work around the swing arm.

If a 450 RR wasn't so expensive it would make a great adventure bike.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

690rfr bikes are reasonable for what they're costing now.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #100
raceu2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
The KTM 990 SMT looks nice. My local dealer has one outfitted with knobbies It is some what lighter than the adventure.
When I sat on it I find it is lower to the ground and feels so much lighter than my adventure due to the lower center of gravity.
Not sure if it would be any easier to pick up though. It is not as off road capable as the Adventure but he says it works well in the fire road scenario. It also has tubeless tires which is a plus. Just another option. As far as horse power I found that while I was in CA for 3 months lots of power was a plus on the 2 lane roads for passing, other wise you just set there and breath smoke. I think there is a rule in Guat. that if doesn't smoke you can't sell it.
raceu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #101
Boredsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTomKx View Post
I'm with you on that 5 speed. Wish KTM put a small v-twin into a 690 chassis.
My dream bike too BUT what about lacing up a 21" & 18" to an Aprilia Dorsoduro 750.... I read about a project (in "beasts" I think). This is probably the closest thing to the ultimate compromise going right now.
Boredsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #102
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredsurfer View Post
My dream bike too BUT what about lacing up a 21" & 18" to an Aprilia Dorsoduro 750.... I read about a project (in "beasts" I think). This is probably the closest thing to the ultimate compromise going right now.
Hmmm... 12 litres? 100 mile range? The ultimate compromise is right.

I'm becoming more and more accepting of the single cylinder solution. Maintenance is easy, less failure points no extra cam chains or other BS. The 690 is cranking 60+ HP and is 100lbs lighter than any suitable ADV twin I'm aware of. I like a twin on the highway but I've logged alot of miles of tar on singles and they do the job admirably.

I've had a range of ADV bikes and never in my all my riding did I have a situation where it got hairy and I wished for more cylinders and/or weight.

v8toilet screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 03:32 PM
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #103
ThisWayHome
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereisgibson View Post
People with the money to buy a mid-size adv bike pretty much all live where there are good roads and less trails, because they likely have a good job that requires all that infrastructure. Yes America/W.Europe have trails, but you don't need to use them. Unfortunately there aren't enough people in these places who actually ride to the places a mid-size adv should be ridden to sell enough to make one, because that would take a month or two riding to Africa or S.America, which means losing the sweet job that paid for it. So no demand.

The day that people in Africa have $10000 burning a hole in their pocket is the day you'll be able to buy a decent mid-size adventure bike. And that day will likely be about two decades after the Chinese have paved most of Africa, so they'll just want a GS anyway.
ThisWayHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #104
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post

I owned a DR650 for 6 years.

I would buy one as an adventure tourer again if they did several things:

CArtridge forks/better shock. Fully adjustable

Fuel injected

Better headlight

Bigger stock tank 5 gallon minimum

I know all but the fuel injection can be bought and bolted on but I've found that adding aftermarket parts doesn't always mean it will work right together.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #105
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meter Man View Post
I owned a DR650 for 6 years.

I would buy one as an adventure tourer again if they did several things:

CArtridge forks/better shock. Fully adjustable

Fuel injected

Better headlight

Bigger stock tank 5 gallon minimum

I know all but the fuel injection can be bought and bolted on but I've found that adding aftermarket parts doesn't always mean it will work right together.
Sounds like a 690 to me. The 690, though pricy, would likely be cheaper that those mods on a DR.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote