Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #3871
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Yanagita View Post
For a guy who claims not to be a fan of Stoner in particular, Stoner-bashing seems to set you off in a way that Rossi-bashing, Pedrosa-bashing, etc. don't seem to.
I disagree, I think Kropotkin takes exception to people disparaging any riders skills/talent based on their personality. But he can defend himself.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #3872
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,419

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #3873
Mike Yanagita
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
But he can defend himself.
I think it's fine to be a fan of one rider over another, just a little funny to be coy about it.

mdubya: please proceed, Governor. The sock puppet idea is amusing -- which dots are you connecting exactly?
Mike Yanagita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #3874
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
Everyone I have spoken to says his feel was unparalleled. They all have outstanding feel, the best have amazing feel, but Stoner is said to have been the most sensitive to what a bike was doing.
I think what I was trying to say, and not very well, way back there, is that Casey has an almost unbelievable ability to set his bike up for HIM to take it to the max. And this is I think, a well known fact. (I've heard the stories too...).
But as for actual DEVELOPMENT, I'm not so sure......But as always, the DATA collected from these sessions will be invaluable.
Having said that, Stoners settings that MM uses to start every race weekend seem to be getting him headed in the right direction.....
Old 08-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #3875
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Yanagita View Post
For a guy who claims not to be a fan of Stoner in particular, Stoner-bashing seems to set you off in a way that Rossi-bashing, Pedrosa-bashing, etc. don't seem to.
There are two subjects among MotoGP fans which I find more tedious than anything else. Mindless Stoner bashing, confusing his personality with his ability, and Estoril 2006 (the Pedrosa incident, not the Elias win, or the KRJR last lap mix up, or any of the other awesomeness that marked that race).

If you can point me to any Rossi bashing on this site, I'd be glad to complain about that too...

As for my own site, I have been accused of being a Rossi fan and a Stoner fan, and of unfairly deleting comments criticizing both riders. As a rule, I tend to delete more anti-Stoner comments than anti-Rossi comments, but that's only because there are more anti-Stoner comments on the site than anti-Rossi comments. And by "anti-" comments, I mean abusive and offensive remarks solely meant to denigrate the achievements of great motorcycle racers, contributing nothing. I have had one poster leave because I deleted all of his anti-Rossi comments (which was just about all he posted), and another leave because I deleted all of his anti-Stoner comments.

I suppose I am biased. I vent my annoyance at lazy prejudice because I have to spend more time that I want to monitoring my own website for idiotic comments, and removing them. They just remind me of work...
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #3876
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOTLACE View Post
I think what I was trying to say, and not very well, way back there, is that Casey has an almost unbelievable ability to set his bike up for HIM to take it to the max. And this is I think, a well known fact. (I've heard the stories too...).
But as for actual DEVELOPMENT, I'm not so sure......But as always, the DATA collected from these sessions will be invaluable.
Having said that, Stoners settings that MM uses to start every race weekend seem to be getting him headed in the right direction.....
Nakamoto told Dennis Noyes that Stoner's arrival at Honda transformed Pedrosa. He saw he could ride with a lot less electronics, and got faster when Stoner came. "It's like I have a new rider!" Of course, it also helped that for the first time, Pedrosa had a teammate that was as fast or faster than him.

Stoner's period at Ducati clouded people's view of him. They thought Stoner couldn't develop a bike because of what happened at Ducati. One of Rossi's crew said the same thing to me at Qatar in 2011, that Stoner couldn't develop a bike. Two years' later, he made it clear that the problem was clearly with Ducati, not Stoner. They listened to Rossi more than they ever listened to Stoner, but saying that is like saying that Genghis Khan was more of a caring humanitarian than Vlad the Impaler. Might be factually correct, but still meaningless, Ducati didn't listen to either of them much.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #3877
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,430
Quote:
Nakamoto told Dennis Noyes that Stoner's arrival at Honda transformed Pedrosa. He saw he could ride with a lot less electronics, and got faster when Stoner came. "It's like I have a new rider!" Of course, it also helped that for the first time, Pedrosa had a teammate that was as fast or faster than him.

Stoner's period at Ducati clouded people's view of him. They thought Stoner couldn't develop a bike because of what happened at Ducati. One of Rossi's crew said the same thing to me at Qatar in 2011, that Stoner couldn't develop a bike. Two years' later, he made it clear that the problem was clearly with Ducati, not Stoner. They listened to Rossi more than they ever listened to Stoner, but saying that is like saying that Genghis Khan was more of a caring humanitarian than Vlad the Impaler. Might be factually correct, but still meaningless, Ducati didn't listen to either of them much.
Your bias toward Genghis Khan is showing.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #3878
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
I disagree, I think Kropotkin takes exception to people disparaging any riders skills/talent based on their personality. But he can defend himself.
Agree+1
It's worth remembering Krop goes to a lot of the Euro rounds. (Possibly all.?). I've been to most, several times, as well as P.I. Being there, trackside, for 3 days, you tend to see, in its purity, FAST! And that bloke Stoner gave it to the Max. It's hard not to notice!
Me? I go back to Hailwood, (in my opinion,the bestest...), and so many after. Eddie Lawson being another favourite. Kevin Magee, pure natural talent. Rainey,Freddie! Like, personalities ( or nationalities!) don't come into it. Raw speed does. And Casey Stoner had it in spades. Some people appreciate that.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #3879
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Quote:

. But will they listen to Warren Willing????
Old 08-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #3880
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOTLACE View Post
. But will they listen to Warren Willing????
At this point the Germans could have him develope the bike away from Italy and just slap a Ducati sticker on it.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #3881
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,723
Quote:

Great reference.

Now, back to a question regarding equipment: how many sets of leathers/helmets/boots, does a rider usually go through a season? I get it when a set gets scuffed up the leathers get retired, but the always look so fresh and new

Or do they just dry clean em and stitch on new patches after a fall?

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #3882
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
At this point the Germans could have him develope the bike away from Italy and just slap a Ducati sticker on it.
I hope not. We need the Passione. Bad.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #3883
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I don't know much about Krop's frustrations running his news outlet, but it seems to me that if he positions his site to be a source of knowledge, he should temper his editing of his reader's remarks. Maybe even let them go unedited. I sense he dislikes the rants, but we all know those things.

On the other hand, I have enjoyed the gift of a good editor in both career and motorcycle racing media. I can say that when my career editor left the scene, I pretty much self destructed within five years. We all need a good editor. You can't really edit yourself.
I think there is a difference between editing and moderating. A poorly moderated comment section is nothing but spam, name calling and/or bootlicking. A well moderated comment section often encourages better discussions.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #3884
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
I think there is a difference between editing and moderating. A poorly moderated comment section is nothing but spam, name calling and/or bootlicking. A well moderated comment section often encourages better discussions.
in that case, screw stoner!!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #3885
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219

mdubya screwed with this post 08-08-2013 at 09:42 PM
mdubya is offline   Reply With Quote