User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
JNRobert OP
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,687
The official "I want to go to the TT" thread

We've got a bunch of threads on the TT races but not one specifically for planning a TT visit. I've decided next year is the year I scratch that itch so I'm hoping to draw on the collective knowledge.

I'm planning on flying in rather than organizing bike rental and all the rest of it because of limited time. As a noob to the whole experience I'm all ears. Assume budget is not an issue

Accommodation, best viewing locations, car rental, getting around, eating, what's the best advise

JNRobert screwed with this post 08-07-2013 at 02:39 AM
JNRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
Assume budget is not an issue
Cool. You can take me too.

Seriously:

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
JNRobert OP
Breaking Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post
Cool. You can take me too.

Seriously:
there's always a budget, I just don't need to camp
Old 08-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,201
Quote:
We've got a bunch of threads on the TT races but not one specifically for planning a TT visit. I've decided next year is the year I scratch that itch so I'm hoping to draw on the collective knowledge.

I'm planning on flying in rather than organizing bike rental and all the rest of it because of limited time. As a noob to the whole experience I'm all ears. Assume budget is not an issue

Accommodation, best viewing locations, car rental, getting around, eating, what's the best advise
Go to the IOMTT website, but also the official IOM site. Their Tourism office was very helpful to me when I went in 2005.

I took a flight into Manchester, then caught a hop to the IOM. I arranged to rent a car upon my arrival at the airport - this made it very convenient to get into town. Driving on the wrong side was a challenge, but I had previously owned a used Post Office Jeep (total chick magnet!), so sterring on the right side of the vehicle was no biggie for me.

Through the Tourism office, I participated in a program whereby I stayed in a house in Douglas for two weeks that the owners were taking their vacation during that time (they came to America to check out all the amusement parks!). From there, I was able to walk all around town, which was awesome.

Good luck!

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,366
Good thread. I was wondering about this myself.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
meatsack
Moto-idiot

Oddometer: 392
My Wife and I are discussing going next year too.
I'll be watching this thread...
04' CRF230 Flat Tracker, 02' CRF150F, 66' CB160

meatsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
dmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Advice from other people who have travelled from further around the world may be more relevant to you, but here are a few links:-

http://www.visitisleofman.com/accomm...n/homestay.xml

Homestay is great, I used to do it before my relatives moved to the island, you can rent a house or a room. It is a government run scheme, do not rule it out regardless of how big your budget is.

http://www.iomttbreaks.com/

I have never used Regency travel, but their website looks the part?

http://www.steam-packet.com/

Flights to the island are always expensive. As mentioned earlier consider flying to Manchester/Liverpool/Dublin/Belfast and get the ferry from there. Although there are fewer sailings from Ireland, I know from experience you can usually get foot passenger tickets right up to the TT.

This years TT was held in brilliant weather and received very good press. I would guess next year it will be even busier. There will always be exceptions, but if you are serious about this, you need to get it booked very soon.
dmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,000
I went last year. Fantastic

I had the luxury of a mate with a spare bike so I can't help you with transport. There is a scheme whereby locals rent out their houses for the duration. We were very lucky (3 of us) and found a fantastic house 2 mins from the Railway Inn in Union Mills. We did think about camping but so glad we didn't - it rains a lot (or can) in the IOM. My mate did a lot of the planning but I am pretty sure he used a travel agent in the IOM who found us the house.

I will say, it would be so much better on a bike - plenty of places you can rent a bike in the UK and you can get the tube to a place that rents bikes pretty easily - it's a pretty easy ride to Liverpool for the ferry.

Do it, you won't regret it.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
joe a
awryder

Oddometer: 594
I went to the TT in 1988.I'd always dreamed of going to the "Island".As a young man,(I'm 58 now) I didn't do sports like most kids.I read and reread cycle mags including those my uncle and my dad brought from overseas.I became interested in Geoff Duke,Hailwood,Ago and all the legends from across the "pond".It took me quite a few years to gather up the info(no internet at the time),funds,time off to do the trip.
I'd been doing the motorcycle thing since the early 70's.Cross-country trips,Alaska,Sturgis(72,74,76 etc.),Laconia,Daytona ETC,.But until we got to the IOM I'd not experienced motorcycling !!!!!!!
It was a trip I'll never forget.You have to see,smell,hear and be part of this event to understand why people go to this mecca of true motorcycle road racing .
The King of the Mountain(Joey Dunlop)was still in his prime.The people are the nicest you'll ever meet.The history of motorcycles is felt everywhere.It truly is a magical place to behold ..
Now,,, I've got to go dig out that old photo album !!!!
Thanks for bringing the memories back ,,,Joe

Old 08-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
JNRobert OP
Breaking Wind

Thanks for the replies so far.

Because of time I'm probably only going to be there a few days, catch the Senior for sure. What's the best viewing spots? I'll have a rental car (unless my plans change) so I assume I can get anywhere to stake a spot.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,000
Quote:
Thanks for the replies so far.

Because of time I'm probably only going to be there a few days, catch the Senior for sure. What's the best viewing spots? I'll have a rental car (unless my plans change) so I assume I can get anywhere to stake a spot.
Hard to say - we watched lots of racing/practice from all over. It was very nice to watch them racing with a pint in the hand (Railway in Union Mills) but Creg N Baa (sp ?) was also great. Ballag Bridge (sp ?) was also great. We also did a day in the grandstand where the viewing was maybe not the best but it was cool to see the pit stops and be right there by the winners circle.

I think, bottom line, all viewing points have their plus points.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:30 AM   #12
dmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Health and safety has changed things quite a lot, here for example at the end of cronk y voddy straight, you have to be careful when you lean forward in case you hit a bike going past at around 200mph.

See that white line on the road, well I swear Anstey went past ON it!
dmcd is offline   Reply With Quote