ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Rockies
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #541
jprhode
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 74
I ran into a bit of trouble there in 2010 using (I think) BigDog's tracks. Dunno if you had the same thing but going south we hit a snag navigating between Ottawa Gulch Rd and Blossburg Rd. They run parallel for a bit, and it turns out tracks we used had a point on Ottawa Gulch, and a point on Blossburg and no points in between. On the CityNavigator maps up to 2011, there was no road between those points, and it was really foggy and raining so we didn't see it. But, said map did show the two roads connecting about a quarter mile NE of the track point on Ottawa Gulch Rd. So, we went that way and hit a gate, thus commencing a fukarwe situation. Of course in a dry motel room with a laptop it made sense in hindsight, but it stumped us on the road.

The points on Countdown's tracks are more closely spaced and so I'd guess this would be more obvious, plus this section of road is now shown on CN so if you're using an older Zumo it would be less likely to lose it's mind in this section.

cheers
Jason
jprhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #542
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Carson City/Ridgecrest
Oddometer: 5,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprhode View Post
I ran into a bit of trouble there in 2010 using (I think) BigDog's tracks.

The points on Countdown's tracks are more closely spaced and so I'd guess this would be more obvious, cheers Jason
Yes Big Dog did it years ago. I think before "x" and could not save active logs. He only had very poor resolution "Saved Tracks".

I collected active logs from at least three groups. I merged them to eliminate all wrong turns, backtracks, etc. I have either 500 points/track for 60/76 or actual active logs (2,000 points/track) for 78. CannonShot also has some good tracks but I think they are only 500 points/track and might have a few off course excursions.
__________________
Jerry Counts
Countdown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #543
jprhode
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 74
All hail BigDog for those initial tracks - I'd probably still be somewhere in the Divide Basin without them. That said, I'm damn glad for the work you and Cannonshot have posted subsequently. I've got them all loaded in Basecamp along with my own from last time and I'm sure that we'll have less fukarwe's this time. Or at least all new ones.

It has been fun to look back at what went wrong last time and compare to newer tracks ridden successfully. Also, the Basecamp feature "View this area in Google Earth" is pretty badass.

Cheers
Jason
jprhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:08 PM   #544
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Carson City/Ridgecrest
Oddometer: 5,082
If you want to see some really bad tracks, look at R-dubbs Pacific Crest Quest. Been collecting new active logs for that one also.
__________________
Jerry Counts
Countdown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #545
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time
 
Cannonshot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: SE Wisconsin
Oddometer: 18,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
CannonShot also has some good tracks but I think they are only 500 points/track and might have a few off course excursions.
Perhaps Jerry wanted to point out that the prescribed alternates are included in the file in the event that wet weather forces someone off the primary route. Very handy to have. In addition to the complete primary route and prescribed alternates, there are also some separate interesting side trips for those that have the time and interest to pursue them. The 500 points per track segments works very well, as evidenced by those who have used them including myself, and accommodates a greater range of units.

Wouldn't want someone to get the impression that there is something wrong with these tracks.
__________________
Cannonshot.net
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #546
rpet
Awesometown
 
rpet's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Brooklyn, California
Oddometer: 809
Cannon - we just used your tracks from Kalispell to Salida area and though slightly low-res they weren't as bad as the Western TAT ones we bought from Sam. I'm gonna say we were lost for maybe 15 minutes out of a week of riding 200mi a day.

And thank you for providing free tracks for a weeks' worth of mind-blowing fun!
__________________
'76 Xl250 '04 XR250R '09 DR650 '10 TR450
Ride The West - OBDR, CDR & western TAT - July 2013
Instagram with plenty of bike pics.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #547
eddyturn
Wannabe
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Hesperus, CO
Oddometer: 1,685
We will be using the Cannon tracks on the 24th for our ride. I think I have it memorized anyway as this has been in the plans for a few years now. Thanks Bryan.
__________________
All things being equal... fat people use more soap
eddyturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:13 AM   #548
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time
 
Cannonshot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: SE Wisconsin
Oddometer: 18,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
Cannon - we just used your tracks from Kalispell to Salida area and though slightly low-res they weren't as bad as the Western TAT ones we bought from Sam. I'm gonna say we were lost for maybe 15 minutes out of a week of riding 200mi a day.

And thank you for providing free tracks for a weeks' worth of mind-blowing fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
We will be using the Cannon tracks on the 24th for our ride. I think I have it memorized anyway as this has been in the plans for a few years now. Thanks Bryan.
Thanks guys. I draw almost all of my tracks to be used at the .2 to .3 mile scale for navigation. I tighten them up in an area where there is a potentially confusing segment or choice to be made. Much more detail in obvious segments is often just a waste of track points that can use up the capacity of some units.
__________________
Cannonshot.net
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #549
jprhode
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 74
NM section

Anyone ridden the Gila NF and Cuba to Abiquiu sections of the CDR recently? Seems like both of those portions might have been impacted by all the fires in June.

Heading out in a little over a week.

thanks
Jason
jprhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #550
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Carson City/Ridgecrest
Oddometer: 5,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
I draw almost all of my tracks to be used at the .2 to .3 mile scale for navigation.
Do you mean you hand draw tracks before you first go out to a new trail?

Another inmate posted that he makes a Route in BaseCamp then uses BC to convert it to a track. Very time saving and all track points are actually on the road.

I assume all your posted tracks are Active Logs or Saved (filtered) tracks.

If you set your 76/78 to "Auto" and "Most Often", it will record very few points on a straight road but many more when it twists. I use my 76 to filter tracks to 500 points because it always gives you 500 where as MapSource will give you much less.
__________________
Jerry Counts
Countdown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #551
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer
 
wbbnm's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Abq NM
Oddometer: 1,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprhode View Post
Anyone ridden the Gila NF and Cuba to Abiquiu sections of the CDR recently? Seems like both of those portions might have been impacted by all the fires in June.

Heading out in a little over a week.

thanks
Jason
There were no fire impacts on the area around Cuba. The forest was opened shortly after 4th of July. They have been getting a lot rain. We rode up there last week and conditions were perfect and maybe a little on the dry side. No mud to speak of.

Don't know about the Gila. I'm sure the fire is out, but don't know if FR 150 is open.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #552
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer
 
wbbnm's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Abq NM
Oddometer: 1,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Do you mean you hand draw tracks before you first go out to a new trail?

Another inmate posted that he makes a Route in BaseCamp then uses BC to convert it to a track. Very time saving and all track points are actually on the road.

I assume all your posted tracks are Active Logs or Saved (filtered) tracks.

If you set your 76/78 to "Auto" and "Most Often", it will record very few points on a straight road but many more when it twists. I use my 76 to filter tracks to 500 points because it always gives you 500 where as MapSource will give you much less.
I went thru a phase where I would hand draw tracks in areas I couldn't get them from someone.

I tried Basecamp and it does work, but I have drifted back to Mapsource.

I use the 3rd party software WinGDB3 to convert my routes to tracks. It is really easy it use. You just copy your route to the clipboard, then click Convert in WinGDB2. It converts the data and puts it back in the clipboard. So you just Paste it into the tracks area in Mapsource.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #553
jprhode
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
There were no fire impacts on the area around Cuba. The forest was opened shortly after 4th of July. They have been getting a lot rain. We rode up there last week and conditions were perfect and maybe a little on the dry side. No mud to speak of.

Don't know about the Gila. I'm sure the fire is out, but don't know if FR 150 is open.
Glad to hear, thanks once again!
jprhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #554
jprhode
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 74
Gila

As usual, ask Google and ye shall receive:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gila/n...telprdb5430865

So I guess the question is what parts of Barsum Rd are closed? From nmroads.com it looks like the impacted section is west of where the CDR hits Barsum but no idea how accurate that is. I guess I'll find out next week.

cheers
Jason
jprhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #555
CBAT
occasional wanderer
 
CBAT's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Central Texas
Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Do you mean you hand draw tracks before you first go out to a new trail?

Another inmate posted that he makes a Route in BaseCamp then uses BC to convert it to a track. Very time saving and all track points are actually on the road.

I assume all your posted tracks are Active Logs or Saved (filtered) tracks.

If you set your 76/78 to "Auto" and "Most Often", it will record very few points on a straight road but many more when it twists. I use my 76 to filter tracks to 500 points because it always gives you 500 where as MapSource will give you much less.
In Basecamp, select the track, right click and select create new route from track. It will ask you the maximum number of points to use. I use less than 200 since that is the limit on the Zumo 550. Enter that number and presto, a new route created from the from the .gpx tracks.
__________________
Bruce

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014