Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #586
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
So what do the conrod big end bearing shells look like? They can be a good indicator of oiling system health and can be replaced periodically.

--Bill
Bill! I'm trying to figure that out. I don't have any experience with them so I'm not sure what they should look like. I hope to have a guru friend take a look soon. There's been no knocking (what I understand is a first sign of failure), and the bike was running pretty darn good before I decided to take it apart, so I'm assuming the bearings were fine. Another guru told me that "you never pull the conrods unless there is a problem". oh well. I guess I made it a problem;)
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #587
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by benthic View Post
"you never pull the conrods unless there is a problem".
too much slop could be considered a problem, though it may not be apparent in operation.
post pics of the shell bearing faces?
Old 07-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #588
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,079
Conrod bearing shells can wear with time. They develop little wiped areas where the crank journal momentarily contacts bearing surface. Once in a thousand starts, you'll have a hot engine with hot, thin oil with minimal lubricity started and throttle-blipped before oil pressure can build up. A just little touch, but a coup-de-grace that can happen a dozen times in 100,000 miles. Or even a couple of "aw-sh%$" oil filter o-ring incidents. Not enough to increase clearance or damage the bearing, but wear nonetheless, and it adds up. On my bike I've replaced the conrod bearing shells every 90,000 miles. Not abnormal and not a big deal.

What does this look like? Imagine the bearing shell is freshly painted with aluminum paint. Imagine dragging your thumb across the wet paint.

Yeah, we need pics.

--Bill
Old 07-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #589
chilango
super-user

Oddometer: 380
New older owner

So just got myself an almost complete BMW 1983 R65 (previous owner needs to send the fenders, but everything else seems to be there.)
Loved the story.
Mine is a basket case. Was advised to put it together to ensure the thing works, and then use the colder NYC months to make her pretty.
So on we go.
I would be lying if I din't mention that I already sourced the leather from a tannery upstate.
"Write drunk; edit sober."
- Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)
chilango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #590
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

I had one of my guru friends take a look at my conrods and wristpins and the verdict was that everything looked AOK for reuse! Just in case I got some plastigauge and checked the oil clearance on the bearing and that looked good too.

I got my parts back from powder coat, and got my shaft reinstalled in the swingarm by Escondido BMW. while up there I picked up all the gaskets and whatnot that I was going to need, except for the wristpin circlips. I tried 2 other bmw dealers in socal with no luck so I ordered them from Ted Porter along with a few other bits and bobs.

since i couldn't really do anything without the circlips I reassembled the rear end.

a few days later my circlips showed up!

So i finished the doubled jugectomy...

Sat down at my bench (at 9:30am) this morning to start the piston and engine reassembly... should be an easy job...

and promptly had the worst build day of my life. I could NOT get the damn circlips into the piston. it was impossible! IMPOSSIBLE i say. Big Mike V. stopped by and we compared the old circlips to the new ones and found that the new ones were significantly thicker and I convinced myself that the circlips were wrong. I even drove out to NAPA to see if they had some alternatives (they didn't). I sent out a desperate (and profanity laced) email to my airhead buddies and Big Jan popped over a little while later. He was sure the circlips were correct, and with equal parts ingenuity and brute force (and extra hands) we were finally able to get the damn things installed. SHEESH. what a pain in the ass. I'll be looking for alternative circlips if I ever have to take this apart again. Jan stayed long enough to see the jugs installed and then I was done (at 5:30pm)

I've got a fairly busy week, so i don't know when i'll get back to the bike, but I will stay optimistic for a weekend ride...

hope everyone had a great weekend!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 08-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #591
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Hi, Spencer, long time no...

Those wire wrist pin clips are indeed a PITA to install. I've never been able to stumble upon a painless method to install them. It invariable becomes a purgatory of mini screwdrivers, awls and whatever. And worrying about the clip flying off to the darkest corner of the shop or into the engine innards. And then worrying and double/triple checking to make sure that clip is seated in the groove. At least other makers use clips that have "ears" bent into the clip so that they can be grabbed with needle-nose pliers.

But, otherwise, it's looking good.

--Bill
Old 08-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #592
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Those wire wrist pin clips are indeed a PITA to install. I've never been able to stumble upon a painless method to install them. It invariable becomes a purgatory of mini screwdrivers, awls and whatever. And worrying about the clip flying off to the darkest corner of the shop or into the engine innards. And then worrying and double/triple checking to make sure that clip is seated in the groove.
Funny you should mention it. I spent about 3 hours yesterday fishing one of those very clips out of a ducati engine after it fired itself straight down into the block and became stuck to some sludge in the sump with no line of sight to get at it with a magnet. I ended up having to fish it out with a hook bent out of aluminum welding rod after lifting the block up and shaking it at strange angles to no effect. Man, it sucked.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 08-05-2013 at 03:43 PM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #593
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

huh. we weren't so worried about the ring shooting into the engine (they tended to shoot away from the opening), but we both had safety glasses on so we wouldn't lose an eye;) we did end up chasing the things all over the garage...
www.blindfishz.com
Old 08-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #594
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Fate would dictate that the open maw of the cylinder spigot opening would be the greatest attractor of flying springie things in the Universe.

Just sayin'. It's easier to do a pre-emptive stuffing of rags.

I'm glad that I didn't need to mention safety glasses around these springie daemons.

DAMHIK.

--Bill
Old 08-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #595
GCCR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
ha, thanks for noticing:) Jan made me pose all over San Diego before he was satisfied;) here's a few other pics from our photoshoot ride:

since the key shorting episode I haven't been up to to much trouble.

I had a friend weld on a centerstand tang

and I managed to spend a lot of money one some new parts...

the dog can't wait to see what's inside the boxes

-Squish band Heads, Pistons and Rods from 1977 R100S, Heads are dual-plugged; magnesium valve spring retainers. Pistons have lightweight wristpins, rods and pistons balanced. Pistons have Nikasil compatible rings.
-Pair of nearly new Nikasil cylinders- about 20,000 miles on them.
-Pair of 40mm Bing carbs

I still need to order parts for the dual plugging and new gaskets and such... so I'm not going to tear into the bike for at least another week, but I'm excited:)

In related news, we bought the wife a scooter!

an new and shiny Buddy 170i:) she loves it! and I love that she loves it:) she's got about 200 miles on it as of yesterday.

to close this Wednesday update, here's a pic of me doing what I do when I'm not on my motorcycles;)

I'm the one dressed in black...
Great to meet you Jeff. I thought I was the only diver, and Airhead cafe guy out there. By the way I'm the California Regional Manager for Aqua lung diving equipment. Nice build! Here's a couple of mine.
GCCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #596
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCR View Post
Great to meet you Jeff. I thought I was the only diver, and Airhead cafe guy out there. By the way I'm the California Regional Manager for Aqua lung diving equipment. Nice build! Here's a couple of mine....
I'm Spencer;) (Jeff took the picture of me, although you might know his wife - they both work for DUI)

Nice bikes! I'd love to see them in person, and meet you of course;) it's too bad scuba and motorcycles don't mix that well - have you tried to haul tanks on a bike?;)
www.blindfishz.com
Old 08-06-2013, 12:42 AM   #597
GCCR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
I'm Spencer;) (Jeff took the picture of me, although you might know his wife - they both work for DUI)

Nice bikes! I'd love to see them in person, and meet you of course;) it's too bad scuba and motorcycles don't mix that well - have you tried to haul tanks on a bike?;)
Hello Spencer,

Sorry about the confusion. I don't know Jeff or his wife, although I'm good friends with their National Sales manager, John Boyer. Hopefully our paths will cross one day and we can share some stories about both. You can find me on FB by the name Dan Rodarte. Cheers!

Dan
GCCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #598
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

BOOM BABY.

I started the bike last night! and man, it started RIGHT UP:) scared the crap out of my dog and numerous small children.

That's the good news. The bad news is that I believe I need different throttle cables. The bike wouldn't idle, it just started and jumped to 4500rpm. I did some investigating, and the my current throttle cables for the R80/7 with 32mm Bings have a 60mm free length. Apparently the cables for 40mm Bings are supposed to have a free length of 72mm - this would explain the high rpms.

So i'm on a search today! I want to ride this bike, and I'm hoping someone local will have the correct cables...

wish me luck.
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 08-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #599
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,873

I was invited to take this out for a 'quick' warm-up ride before a tune-up refinement session today...

... damn quick it was.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #600
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner View Post
...I was invited to take this out for a 'quick' warm-up ride before a tune-up refinement session today...

... damn quick it was.
Thanks for taking it out! next time you can ride it AFTER we sort it out;)

It was an exciting day yesterday...

I had a good news, bad news, good news, bad news, good news scenario:

(good) the throttle cables I ordered from the BeemerShop showed up, i buttoned up the bike and BOOM - the bike was fucking awesome!

(bad) for 5 minutes. then died and I coasted to the side of the road about a mile from my house.

(good) Renner and Jan gave me advice over the phone and I have a FULL tool kit on the bike. they immediately thought it was timing, but I hadn't really messed with timing so i checked carbs, coil connections, sparks, etc. Renner and Jan STILL thought it was timing so I pulled the front cover and what did i find? the little 10mm nut that holds the ATU on fell right off. geez. with all the admonishments to not tighten it too much, i had not tightened it enough. I put it back on and BOOM the bike started right up.

(bad) (un?)fortunately, while messing with the carbs I got gasoline all over my leg because I couldn't get the float bowls to stop filling and they overflowed all over my leg - and got a gasoline chemical burn on my oh so sensitive skin - so instead of riding around more, i started to ride home to wash my leg - and the bike died again and I had to push it a block to my house. turns out, i had messed up the float bowl worse, and cut off the gas and it basically just ran out of gas on the right side.

(good) I got it back on the lift at home out of danger of being hit by a car and fixed the carb pretty easily. Renner called me back and said he and Jan were running over to Jan's and invited me over. So i got back on the bike, rode around the neighborhood, tested the bike a bit, decided it was good, and got my butt to Jan's! It was fantastic! the pulls like a BOSS!

Once at Jan's we fiddled around quite a bit more than I anticipated. Jan sold me a Thunderchild diode board for a great price (he just had an extra lying around!), so we installed that, lubed the ATU, set the timing properly, and adjusted the carbs. (I should say that Renner adjusted the carbs and set the timing - thanks buddy!!!) the bike is running GREAT and has insane acceleration! Seriously, I roll hard on the throttle in first and it LEAPS forward and lifts the front end off the ground a bit (WHEEE!!) - i'm not one for wheelies, but it is pretty cool;)

I had a scheduling conflict so couldn't put any more miles on the bike, but I'm going to get out today a bit:)
www.blindfishz.com