User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
goldentaco OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Salem and parts South

I was coerced into attending the BMW International Rally in Salem OR by my riding buddy. His parents were going so we planned to ride up from the Bay Area and meet them there. Weeks passed after signing up and my buddy had to bail. Great, I'll go up and hang with his parents.

The trip up was uneventful and I was burning rubber to complete the 600+ miles to the Rally as soon as possible. I left Oakland at 7:30am and arrived in Salem by 7:00 pm.

No pics for the ride up just 101 to 1 to 199 to 5. I froze up the coast and roasted from Crescent City onward.

I did wrestle with my new Acerbis gas cap and a venting issue for about 20 miles. I kept running out of fuel...or that's what my carbs thought. Turns out my tank bag was covering up the vent on the cap. Some minor surgery and I had no more issues for the remaining 1800 miles.

Rally was fun and after calling my buddy's parents and finding out they weren't going to make it I accepted I was going solo for this trip. That doesn't bother me...I ride solo most of the time so this wasn't really anything different.

I needed to burn some more rubber off my T63 before mounting a new Heidenau K60 so I headed toward the coast and decided to take roads that looked interesting, then GPS it back if I needed. It went like this Hmmm uhh lets go left. wait that was dirt, U-turn weeee dirt. You get the idea.

Rode to Wilamina and played around on Tindle Creek Rd, Indian Creek Rd, and Wilamina Creek Rd. Gravel turned to fire/forest rd.

ON Indian Creek Rd.

Riding solo I don't play in sketchy mud but this looked enticing...decided to play it safe and tiptoe around.

Indian Creek turned into an ATV trail then to a thicket so I backtracked to a turnoff I found which again turned into an ATV trail then a deer trail, and a couple steep downhills. The last one I was smart enough to turn around at. This pic doesn't do it justice but I could barely walk up it ( about 40 ft). Turning the bike around on the ATV trail was hard enough.
40 ft down this and 100 ft around the corner the trail disappears. My GPS swears it connects to the main rd but I'm not buyin it.

Headed back to the main rd the way I came in and rode up and around Wilamina Creek Rd. which was fun gravel and headed back to the Rally just in time for my new rear tire.

The Ride Home to follow.

J
Old 08-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
LittlePosum
Scrappy Marsupial

Oddometer: 261
Glad to see some pix with sunshine in Oregon that close to the coast! Looks like you hit it on the best day of the year!
Old 08-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
goldentaco OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePosum View Post
Glad to see some pix with sunshine in Oregon that close to the coast! Looks like you hit it on the best day of the year!
Yes ...and maybe one of the hottest. It was definitely a beautiful day.

J
Old 08-11-2013, 12:09 AM   #4
goldentaco OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The ride home...

----Saturday----

My original plan was to head to Unity and head south to Beulah Res., to Crowley, then on to the Steens Mtn area for a ride on the Playa. Continuing on to Denio and on into Cedarville CA. This would have been over 100 miles of dirt or therabouts and I was looking forward to the solitude but riding in the desert on a very hot day ( it was supposed to be over 100 deg both days I was to be enroute) had me concerned. Ironically my alternate route ( head south through the Deschutes Forest had the same soltude but temps were more manageable.

I took 22 to Detroit and on to 20 and 126 to NF19 ( Aufderheide Rd). All of it was as I expected...perfect pavement twisties with little traffic. Aufderheide was probably the most fun. Cougar Res had one of the tallest earthen dams I have seen in person. It was quite impressive but not many safe places to pull over to snap a pic. Here is Cougar reservoir from the rest stop.

Further along on Aufderheide ( NF-19) there was a crew. Well more like a guy in a tractor with a moveable arm that had a lawn mower attached mowing the brush back. The trees and this mowed brush made this tunnel like stretch of road for about 3miles...it was trippy but the pic doesn't really capture the essence:

I've never seen a California forest in the middle of nowhere manicured like this. It was the awesome.

I headed further South on 58 to 97. Then took NF-86 over to Silver Lake Rd. This was some tricky ball bearing sized pumice about 3" deep through much of it.

after about 5 miles of the pumice the road took a turn for the better:

I rolled into Silver Lake and the only gas station for about 30 miles soaked in sweat and at about 5:50 pm...they close at 6. I was able to fill up and continue on to my destination for the night.

Just beyond Hager Mtn is my bed for the night off of NF 28 at Thompson Reservoir:

Hailing from San Leandro ( the East Bay) I had to take this pic. Fremont CA is also in the East Bay but technically I think it's considered more South Bay but anyway.

Rolled into camp around 6:30pm and while filling out my payment slip I met Walt a super nice guy from Sun Lakes. I was promptly invited to dinner for Brats and beer at his site and a shower if I needed to wash up...sweet I've got a plan for the night. On the ride up I was thinking " What do I do for the nest 4hours before I get tired?" Well this beats drinking by myself.

I hung out with Walt and his wife Penny and turns Penny grew up in San Leandro. Now while that isn't of any real particular signifigance to anyone, it is to me because most people don't have a clue where San Leandro is. I usually just say I'm from Oakland.

With a belly full of Brats and beer I fell quickly asleep only to rise early and head for home.

Morning on Thompson res. This is Walt and Penny's canoe:

-------Sunday---------

Continued South on NF-28 ( Box Spring Rd) which is paved twisty and sweet. I made my turnoff towards Bly on NF 3239 ( Sycan Marsh Rd).

Marsh? dont look like no marsh I evar seen:

You can see the wash board in the pic. I have been having an issue with my steering head bearings not staying tight. The washboard didn't help. 15 miles of it was enough and I had to pull over to sort it out. I finally got it tight enough to last the rest of the trip back.

I made it to Bly about 11 am and ate breakfast. Then fueled up with my last tank of "rocket fuel"

Well not really rocket fuel. I had heard the non ethanol stuff had given other motos better gas mileage. The entirety of my non-Ethanol riding was on this trip and I didn't notice any difference in mileage.

I decided that having enough time and I was a day ahead of schedule for getting home I'd ride South on Gerber Reservoir Rd and then make my way down in to CA and to Tulelake where I'd hit Hill Rd. and pass through Lava Beds Ntl Monument.

Just North a mile or so from Gerber Res.

This road was awesome. Only a few twisty sections, gravel to washboarded dirt. I was able to do 40 most places and there were many fun sweeping 50-60 mph sections as well. It was a blast. and did I mention I still had not seen a single motorcycle since leaving Detroit OR over 28 hours prior.

Solitude.

It was sooo hot in Lava Beds Ntl Monument that the tar snakes were slicker than cat sh*&. They were soo hot they were flowing to the side of the road.

Mo Lava:

I took NF49 from Lava Beds passing by Medicine Lake and more Lava Flows. This is a large one with many lava tunnels and caves.

The rest of the trip was uneventful but I did get to swing by my "shortcut" through Vacaville to see the windmills and avoid some traffic.

Mmmm almost home:

After planning this trip for three then two then adjusting to one I realized I really like riding solo. It's nice to leave when you want to and stop when you want. I tend to push through to the next gas stop. Sometimes I don't stop enough to smell the roses or take in the scenery as long as I'd like to but having to only worry about my issues is relaxing. Don't get me wrong, I love having company along but peace and quiet is priceless when your day job is the hustle and bustle.

Thanks for playing along

J
Old 08-11-2013, 03:12 AM   #5
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,126
Quote:
Thanks for playing along
Thanks for great pics of Oregon, from a Cali's point of view .

No motos around Detroit? That's rare. Those beauty paved forest roads near it are moto heaven
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote