ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Rockies
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #556
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBAT View Post
In Basecamp, select the track, right click and select create new route from track. It will ask you the maximum number of points to use. I use less than 200 since that is the limit on the Zumo 550. Enter that number and presto, a new route created from the from the .gpx tracks.
I was talking aobut the oposite. Create a route (that you have never been on) with autoroute then convert it to a Track and you now have accurate Track without hours of hand clicking it.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #557
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
I was talking aobut the oposite. Create a route (that you have never been on) with autoroute then convert it to a Track and you now have accurate Track without hours of hand clicking it.
That's egg-zackly how I do it. Basecamp (mac) will go either way.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #558
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Quote:
Automatic track creation is wonderful, but the manual way wasn't that bad.

At one point per second it would take less than 10 minutes to do a 500 point track.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #559
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Hmmm. If you have a good route of where you want to go, why would you need to create tracks? Just trying to learn a little here.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #560
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBAT View Post
Hmmm. If you have a good route of where you want to go, why would you need to create tracks? Just trying to learn a little here.
If you hunt you will find several threads on the subject.

Most (not all) hard core dirt riders on Dual Sport bikes only use tracks. They just follow the track. In dirt, you must follow an existing route and when you come to an intersection, you look at GPS to see what to do. Also check it every once in a while to see if you have missed a turn. You do not need navagation prompts to follow dirt roads.

Routes have the problem when you download to a 60/76 and then navagate it, it does an autoroute again. If you miss a turn it will autoroute you again.

A Track is a line on the map that NEVER changes.

Routes are great on highways with prompts with street names, etc. Use them all the time in my motorhome but never on my dirt bike.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #561
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Word of caution

I'm out on a ride right now doing some scouting where I made up auto routes in CN2013.30 using Mapsource, then converted them to tracks using WinGDB.

Guess what? Not all those roads in CN were actually there! Ran across one just today - heading east out of Laramie it showed a road up the mountain just north of the expessway..... all that was there was a faint, very faint, two track mostly blocked off.

So, if you use that method to create tracks, be aware that they may not work. I've has numerous occasions of this being the case the last 3 weeks and 5800 miles...
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #562
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=NorthernTraveler;22081144]I'm out on a ride right now doing some scouting where I made up auto routes in CN2013.30 using Mapsource, then converted them to tracks using WinGDB.

Guess what? Not all those roads in CN were actually there! Ran across one just today - heading east out of Laramie it showed a road up the mountain just north of the expessway..... all that was there was a faint, very faint, two track mostly blocked off.QUOTE]

That is why they call it scouting!
Old 08-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #563
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
I'm out on a ride right now doing some scouting where I made up auto routes in CN2013.30 using Mapsource, then converted them to tracks using WinGDB.

Guess what? Not all those roads in CN were actually there! Ran across one just today - heading east out of Laramie it showed a road up the mountain just north of the expessway..... all that was there was a faint, very faint, two track mostly blocked off.

So, if you use that method to create tracks, be aware that they may not work. I've has numerous occasions of this being the case the last 3 weeks and 5800 miles...

You are learning the realities of adventure riding. Probably the majority of minor roads shown on CN are not open.

I find I have to augment my trip planning with maps that show land ownership. Minor roads on private land are rarely open. Minor roads on forest and BLM land usually are open.

A great new resource are travel management maps that are becoming available online for forest and BLM lands. At first the idea of using these was repugnant to me on the general principle of being violently opposed to land closures.

But these new maps show lots of minor roads that are actually open. They often show roads that don't appear on any other digital or paper map I have. You have to search online for the particular forest or BLM district you are interested in.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #564
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Maps off

Yeah, I'm well aware of the maps being off - posted that note to warn the newbies....

I've been scouting a long time.... since before my Army M/C scout days in the late 70s.

But even the latest (or almost latest) Garmin maps show stuff that isn't there. That's the point.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #565
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

That is one main reason to use R&R which are basicaly 1980s 1:100,000 USGS maps. Guess what, at least the BLM designated virtually every rouite on these maps as Open plus many that were user developed between the 80s and 2,000.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #566
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Closed roads were on R&R too

Unfortunately Jerry, that road that no longer existed was on R&R too.

I love R&R - it's the primary maps that I run, but it is getting a bit long in the tooth.

With R&R on the GPS that I use (Garmin 498 - marine chartplotter/fishfinder) I can see all roads in front of me for 10 miles on a 5" color screen with buttons. Yeah, it uses the Garmin data cards, and yeah, it's the older receiver chips so it drops signal, yeah there's no battery, but waterproof, a 'find' button, buttons at all.... I'll live with it. In fact, I have 3 of them - one for each primary scouting bike.

The ability to see that far ahead to find ways around things and see what's coming up far outweighs the disadvantages. So I run a 76cx to record high res tracklogs for editing later and charge on with the 498 and R&R for navigation.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #567
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,105
Working with the PC version, I find often that important roads don't appear unless I zoom into 800 feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Thanks guys. I draw almost all of my tracks to be used at the .2 to .3 mile scale for navigation. I tighten them up in an area where there is a potentially confusing segment or choice to be made. Much more detail in obvious segments is often just a waste of track points that can use up the capacity of some units.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #568
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
With R&R on the GPS that I use (Garmin 498 - marine chartplotter/fishfinder) I can see all roads in front of me for 10 miles on a 5" color screen with buttons.

The ability to see that far ahead to find ways around things and see what's coming up far outweighs the disadvantages. So I run a 76cx to record high res tracklogs for editing later and charge on with the 498 and R&R for navigation.
I was waiting for Garmin to come out with a big screen version of 60/76 with micro SD, and new receiver chips so didn't go the 498 route. Now sorry I didn't. I have R & R loaded in my Nuvi in my morothome just so I can see dirt roads. Als shows more towns.

The only good thing about new 78 is downloading 200 tracks to see out in front of you. I am in Houston working a space job this week. I will be back on GWT next week and think I will run 78 with every possible track showing for navagation but 76 to record tracks. It makes it so much easier to turn log off/on each time you want to start a new Active Log.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #569
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
Working with the PC version, I find often that important roads don't appear unless I zoom into 800 feet.
With R & R everything shows at under 2 Mi.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #570
akmnstr
Mckenzie River Huskies

Oddometer: 235
video

Thanks to thread my wife and I were successful in riding the divide this summer. I just finished editing our videos and uploading them to youtube. It is a sampler of the roads and landscapes of the ride.

akmnstr screwed with this post 09-11-2013 at 06:58 AM
akmnstr is offline   Reply With Quote