User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
clintnz OP
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,307
Random Rides - New Zealand

This is my thread for stray motorcycling pics that don't really need a full ride report. I live near Rotorua on the North Island of NZ & we have a nice variety of roads & trails nearby.

Last week I stripped the 640 down into trailbike mode...

...for some riding in the Whirinaki forest, about 1.5 hrs drive from my place. We have a midwinter campout there each year & there were a few starters for some dirty action on the bikes.

Roger on his 450 Husaberg:

Alex on the 200EXC

& young Chris getting to grips with clutch control on the 80:

Somehow I missed getting any pics of Mark on his Husky, it was hard to keep the 510 in sight for very long!

There is a big network of old logging tracks in the area, from mild gravel to hell gnarly steep rutted mud. The native forest is quite scenic in places too with lots of massive old trees, including this one that had fallen over the track:

Hairy Chris's 690 & my 640 are a bit porky compared with the other guys lightweight enduro weapons, but with 5 helpers they leap logs pretty good! Hairy Chris also earns style points for riding down from Auckland with a set of knobbys strapped to the back to swap on for the weekend, then swapping back to road rubber for the trip home. The rest of us were trailer trash but someone had to haul in the beer

Rogers 'berg goes over a bit easier:

After some exploration & another workout cutting branches & lifting the bikes over a mess of fallen trees we made it out to a fire lookout.

From there it was a cruise back to camp & a few well earned beers in front of the fire The next day saw some more exploration & a hill that thwarted the 640 but no pics.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,918
cool thread....IN

i have 640e and love the bike. also had a 640a which ended up being a parts bike.

probably will never get to oz and ride. best i can do is enjoy your rr....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
supajac
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Talking

The plan for the weekend was to embrace Winter, Weather, Water and untamed Ways with 2 Wheels.

Our remote outpost in the Uruweras' was opened Friday evening with a fire in a hearth suiting a medieval castle.

Chris arrived with his minimal Kit of 1 can=1 meal, KFC and 2 knobbly tyres. Entertainment for the early evening was everyone crowding around Chris to give him advice on tyre changing, with every now and then someone jumping in to grab a tyre leaver!

Chris even kindly demonstrated how to repair a holed tube

Rosie! and I were going to show the boys how to ride over logs, however, we realised (at the last moment) our tread had mysteriously become inappropriate for the task!!
Plan F was activated ... ride the back roads through forestry, native bush and frost flats to the Napier/Taupo Highway (HW 5)

My Guide Rosie!

A washed out culvert provided a water feature

Awsome frost flats here ...

Same lookout as the boys?

After all that zoooooming around we walked to a dry lagoon and found some very small green mushrooms....

Thanks Clint and Rosie! for the awsome weekend.

supajac is offline   Reply With Quote