User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2011, 04:13 AM   #1
Ogurek OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
South East Asia on a Vietnamese Bike

I'm planning a 1-1.5 year trip that goes something like this: Vietnam-Cambodia-Laos-Northern Thailand-Myanmar (without the bike)-Southern Thailand-Malaysia-Singapore-Indonesia-East Timor-Philippines.

It is nearly impossible to bring a bike into Vietnam so I'd like to buy a bike/scooter (probably a new-ish Honda Wave) there and use it to travel around the rest of SE asia. Since it's also very difficult to import a bike into the Philippines, I'll probably sell/give away my bike in East Timor. I don't know but there might be some Carnet issues for Indonesia....

Due to the legalities of buying/owning a bike in Vietnam as a tourist I'm wondering about the paperwork when buying the bike that will be good enough to get me across the various borders... I have a few questions...

When you buy a used bike in Vietnam does it come with the licence plate on the bike?
When buying the bike I will get registration papers but with some Vietnamese guys name on them (since I can't register a bike in my name on a tourist visa). Do I need to change the name to cross the border? Maybe a letter from the previous owner is needed?
What paperwork do you need to cross the borders with the bike? Will this registration (with someone else's name on it) be sufficient?
Can I even get a Carnet for (a possibly illegal) Vietnamese bike to enter Indonesia?

Thanks for the help guys!
Ogurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:18 AM   #2
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogurek View Post
I'm planning a 1-1.5 year trip that goes something like this: Vietnam-Cambodia-Laos-Northern Thailand-Myanmar (without the bike)-Southern Thailand-Malaysia-Singapore-Indonesia-East Timor-Philippines.

It is nearly impossible to bring a bike into Vietnam so I'd like to buy a bike/scooter (probably a new-ish Honda Wave) there and use it to travel around the rest of SE asia. Since it's also very difficult to import a bike into the Philippines, I'll probably sell/give away my bike in East Timor. I don't know but there might be some Carnet issues for Indonesia....

Due to the legalities of buying/owning a bike in Vietnam as a tourist I'm wondering about the paperwork when buying the bike that will be good enough to get me across the various borders... I have a few questions...

When you buy a used bike in Vietnam does it come with the licence plate on the bike? Yes

When buying the bike I will get registration papers but with some Vietnamese guys name on them (since I can't register a bike in my name on a tourist visa). Yes

Do I need to change the name to cross the border? Maybe a letter from the previous owner is needed? I don't know how you can do this. I just bought a second hand bike in Saigon and gave it to a charity in Hanoi six weeks later.

What paperwork do you need to cross the borders with the bike? Will this registration (with someone else's name on it) be sufficient? I don't believe you can get across the border with it - it would have to be in your name. I never tried... although I did have to go to the Laos border to rescue some friends who left Vietnam then discovered they didn't have enough cash to get into Laos.

Can I even get a Carnet for (a possibly illegal) Vietnamese bike to enter Indonesia? You can get a Carnet, but I seriously doubt it for an illegal bike. You need passport and registration papers to get a Carnet. I'm taking my own bike back to SE Asia this year and will see if I can get into Vietnam with it. It may pay to find someone in Vietnam who will let you use their address and will help you with the paperwork. The whole idea of a Carnet though is that you (or the issuer) is guaranteeing the bike will end up back where it started - and it seems you don't want to do that. If you start in Vietnam and give the bike away in East Timor, I imagine you will be up for penalty duties (I think they are 450% the value of the bike).

Good luck
Old 07-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
Ogurek OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the reply... Information about doing this is difficult to find. I've read a couple of ride reports where they bought a bike in Vietnam and travelled to Laos, Camobodia and Thailand so it is possible... I just don't know how they were able to cross the borders. So far, the easiest way I`ve found is to buy and sell in Vietnam, then buy a bike in Cambodia to travel to Laos, Thailand and Malaysia. As for Indonesia, it seems to be easier to buy another used bike than to import one without a carnet...

BUT I still want to try and use one bike through asia...

I stumbled upon this post this the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree forum:
A few weeks ago we bought an old Minsk in Saigon and planned to ride it into Cambodia. We had papers for it (one little card anyway) but it wasn't in our name. We were told by a few people that we wouldn’t be able to get the bike across. Anyway, just to let anyone know who is planning on doing the same thing that yes you can do it! We used the Prek Chak/Ha Tien crossing, the one furthermost south, after coming from Phu Quoc island. We didn’t have visas.

The Vietnamese side of the crossing was very formal and efficient but we weren’t asked about the bike at all. We just had to wheel it through and park it while we got our passports checked and stamped. The Cambodian side of the border crossing was fairly informal and relaxed – a few shacks and buildings. We bought our visas for $25 (US). We were sent to customs so they could look at our bike but they just waved us on to the immigration police building where we filled out arrival and departure cards and that was it! Piece of cake!

If you’re planning on taking your bike across to Cambodia on one of the busier, touristy sort of border crossings I’m not sure how you’d go. It might work but then again they might be more strict there. Also, we might have gotten lucky with our crossing. I get the feeling they just couldn’t be bothered checking our bike because it was so hot!

Ogurek screwed with this post 07-06-2011 at 12:11 AM
Old 07-04-2011, 01:01 AM   #4
sos9394
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I just did the trip from saigon to hanoi couple months ago.

Bringing the vietnam registered bike into cambodia will not be a problem even though it's not under your name.
However, Laos might be a problem for you to do this. I heard only couple boarders (and also depends on your luck) allowed a farang with vietnam registered bike to enter lao. For thailand n other SE asia countries -> Tough but doable.
I have seen a group of riders with Singaporean/Malaysian plate enter Vietnam, laos, thai, and cambodia.
Everything is possible in SEA if you have connection and $$ of coz.

Try to search on travelfish and gtrider, you may find some useful & updated info.
sos9394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:45 AM   #5
Hercules
"Proudly Philippine Made"

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogurek View Post
I'm planning a 1-1.5 year trip that goes something like this: Vietnam-Cambodia-Laos-Northern Thailand-Myanmar (without the bike)-Southern Thailand-Malaysia-Singapore-Indonesia-East Timor-Philippines....................................... .................................

Ogurek>>

When your at the last leg of your trip and going to the Philippines, feel free to contact me.
Let me see how i can help you.

Cheers!
Old 07-06-2011, 12:42 AM   #6
Ogurek OP
Adventurer

Thanks SOS... I know about Travelfish and GTRider... they both have great information about travelling around SE Asia. However, finding information about crossing the various borders with a semi-legal Vietnamese bike is difficult to find.

Thanks Hercules... I'll do that. I'll buy you some Red Horse beer (my favorite Filipino beer) for your troubles...

For those trying to find info about crossing borders on a Vietnames bike, I found this post on Travelfish on another border crossing between Vietnam and Cambodia...

Since thereis not much information about crossing de Le Thanh border in Vietnam intoCambodia by motorbike. I’ll write down our experience with this bordercrossing.
First of all don’t take any shortcuts in Vietnam, stick to the main road (ql14). We tried ashortcut and ended up in a police station in the middle of nowhere. We couldn’tgo futher and had to ride all the way back and take the 14 to Pleiku. The road we thought was quicker was 14C.
At Pleikutake the road to ‘La dom’ were the Le Thanh border is. The office is near to completion and the road towards the border is perfect. We parked the bike infront of the office and walked inside. We were pretty nervous ‘cause our visawas 1 day expired (because we had to ride back). There was no problem at all.After some checks they gave us the stamp and with a little warning for the nexttime (about the expiration) we could go. They didn’t checked the bike or theluggage. With the bike we ride about 50m and than our passport got checkedagain, but is was fine.
At theCambodian border it took a little bit longer. But no hassle at all. Again theydidn’t checked the bike or luggage. We bought the Cambodian visa there for thenormal fee (20$). And we could go through.
We spend nomore than one hour at the borders and not more money than the fee for the visa.Then the road to Banlung was perfect as well, better than most Vietnameseroads. It took us about one hour to get in Banlung.
So, for allwho want to go via this border crossing. It’s really good to do and without hassle.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:06 AM   #7
Ogurek OP
Adventurer

I did a bit more research on Travelfish and I found another post about a person who travelled on a Vietnamese bike from Vietnam-Laos-Thailand. I'm not sure but the Laos/Thai border he's talking about is the Huay Xai / Chiang Khong border...

"Have recently done a big trip and wanted to confirm the ease with which you can cross borders. I was riding a russioan minsk 125. The one thing you need is the small plastic 'papers' for the vietnamese registered bike. the papers will be in the original vietnamese owners name and this is 100% fine.

I bought it in Saigon and rode north to Hanoi. From here i crossed into Laos at the most northern crossing of Dien Bien Phu. The crossing is easy and the costs are standardised at arround $5 from memory. (one warning: the road on the laos side,60km to nearest town is all rock and dirt. took ages as i had a pillion plus bags. i did 10kph)
From this point i spent a couple wees in laos and mostly used the river network on boats just loading the bike on. costly but relaxing and an effecient method of travel.
After my laos travels i then crossed again in the northern most crossing into thailand. i cant rememebr the name of the town but its the northern most crossing. again was easy to get the bike across legally. You just show papers and passport and get a stamp."

I was planning to enter Laos via Cambodia so I'm still looking for information on that... As well as border information to Malaysia and Indonesia. I'll keep posting information I find and I hope others doing a similar trip will post what they find out here too.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:03 AM   #8
Ogurek OP
Adventurer

I thought I'd post some new things that I've found out...

There is only ONE border crossing between Laos and Cambodia at the Veun Kham border crossing... According to this website http://timae.wordpress.com/ it is possible to cross this border with a Vietnamese registered bike not in your name... In fact, this person (named Timae on HUBB) travelled through Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, East Timor and is now in Australia with his Vietnamese bike... He shows the route he took and what borders he crossed. His website is in German so a couple of things aren't clear... I thought you needed to have a Carnet to enter Australia? An answer always seems to lead to another question...

As for bikes... there are are a few places that are recommended to buy in Vietnam...
First there is the famous Cuong's Motorbike Shop in Hanoi... This shop has been used by hundreds of tourists to rent and purchase Minsks and seems to get good reviews. Here is their website... http://www.cuongs-motorbike-adventure.com/

Another guy to try in Hanoi is Anthony... you can call him at 09 3256 6003 or email kobrowisky@gmail.com

Third is Kevin Raven in HCMC. He sells Honda Bonus, Honda Wins, Minks and other large framed motorcycles. His website is http://kevinraven.20x.cc/index.htm but it doesn't seem to work today. You can call him in Vietnam at +84 167 741 8959 or email him at smitheasterisland@hotmail.com .

Another guy is Philip in HCMC. He sells a variety of old school scooters and some bikes such as the Honda Bonus (125cc). His website is https://sites.google.com/site/classichondacub/

GT-Rider also has a map with some of the motorcycle border crossings for SE asia. It doesn't show all the possible border crossings possible for a Vietnamese bike but this map shows the crossings for LEGAL non-Vietnamese bikes. The website is http://www.gt-rider.com/images/seasiaborders.JPG

Ogurek screwed with this post 07-18-2011 at 01:18 AM
Old 08-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
Ogurek OP
Adventurer

If anybody is following this, Kevin Raven's website has changed. It is now http://saigonmotorbikes.com/

Another motorbike shop in Saigon that seems to have a good reputation is the Saigon Minsk shop owned by Danh. His website is http://saigon-minsk.com/index.html

I've also found posts with first hand experiences of crossing the Vietnam/Cambodia border near Ha Tien, Moc Bai and also Tinh Bien with a Vietnamese bike.

Ogurek screwed with this post 08-09-2011 at 08:07 PM
Old 08-12-2013, 03:52 AM   #10
philippoc92
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Kevin Ravens new contact details

Hi everyone,

I was hoping someone to give an update on contact details for reliable mechanics in HCMC. Thanks
philippoc92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:20 AM   #11
Briain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
me too

In Saigon now looking to buy a bike head north go through Laos and down into Cambodia. Also what should I expect to pay and how reliable are the old minsks? Any information always much appreciated
Briain is offline   Reply With Quote