User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #16
ViperACR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Injection

Is FI an option for the 950 SE? From some of the posts I can't tell and have been considering changing to the FCRs.
ViperACR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:30 AM   #17
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperACR View Post
Is FI an option for the 950 SE? From some of the posts I can't tell and have been considering changing to the FCRs.
It's probably cheaper to go with FCRs.. Modding a carbed 950 into a FI would cost loads of money (ecu, wiring harness, throttle boddies, o2 sensors, exhaust mod to fit the lambda probes, etc..), not to mention the maps that are written for the 999.8ccm engine and cams instead of the 942ccm of the 950...(ofcourse ignore this if you have a 990 engine on the shelf to swap it out for your current engine) I'm not sure they would work perfectly on the 950 (they don't even work perfectly on the 990 - haha)

So unless you have all the parts for a very reasonable money, I'd go with the FCRs, or just live with the CVs.. they aren't that bad at all:) (they were good enough to win the Dakar to say the least:))

One more thing.. as the Adventure's wiring harness is very different from the SE's (fuses are under the seat, ECU, VR is in a different place, etc..) you would have to highly modificate the 990's harness, so you can fit the sensors, ecu, etc.. on your bike. But maybe an SD or SM harness would be closer to the SE.. Don't know..

Sumi screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 04:39 PM
Sumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #18
ViperACR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
FCR it is then, thanks for the info. I had some problems with my CV carbs on my last trip that were not acceptable. I live at 5000' elevation and just got my bike jetted the way it should be and then went riding up to 13,000', or at least tried to. It seemed that at about 10,000' and rough terrain the bike would start flooding out and would not stay running. This sounds weird but it is so, if we were on smooth dirt roads it ran fine with only the expected loss of power and responsiveness even at about 12,500'. But at about 10,000' if we were on rocks or rough trails it just would not stay running. Would the FCRs fix this as well?
ViperACR is offline   Reply With Quote