Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #1201
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,179
You're not confusing foot lbs for inch pounds are you? I would not even bother with a torque wrench. The cover should go on easy. If you have to wrestle with it something's not right. Then just go around and snug all the bolts wrist tight and that should be enough.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #1202
HBL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Thanks. Actually, wrist tight is exactly what I did. The factory torque specs always feel a bit much to me on this older bike.

The cover went on easily and seemed to set perfectly flat against the case. I was completely baffled when it cracked.

The only thing I didn't pay close attention to was how the clutch mechanism engaged inside. I'll pay more attention with the second attempt but am wondering if there is anything in particular I need to look for. Is alignment not required, does it align itself, or do I need to make sure it is in some specific position when I slide the cover on?

Thanks again. I appreciate the suggestions. This just seemed like an easy fix...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
HBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #1203
KLR250NC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Stupid Mistake

I have another questions for the experts. I was using a half ass wheel chock on the trailer I was using to transport the 'new' KLR to be inspected. Hit a bump, tire slid over and it fell on the right side. Dented the radiator and the fan shroud. I cranked it and let it run for about 10 minutes but the fan never came on. The previous owner said that the fan didn't come on until 3/4 of the way on the temp gauge. I have bent the shroud off the fan to where it is not touching but the fan is still hard to turn by hand.

Question 1- Should the fan turn freely by hand or should it not? It feels like it has a bump in it every rotation, but it is not touching anywhere.

The radiator did not leak fluid when it was running but I had the bike upright. I will post some pictures when I get home but it probably depressed the right side radiator approx 1/2"-1" on the side.

Question 2- Should I try to EASILY bend the radiator side bracket back out so the engine shroud will fit back or just order another right side radiator. I found some on ebay fairly decent priced compared to new.

Is there anything else I should check or should be worried about? Rookie move, I know.
KLR250NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #1204
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR250NC View Post
I have another questions for the experts. I was using a half ass wheel chock on the trailer I was using to transport the 'new' KLR to be inspected. Hit a bump, tire slid over and it fell on the right side. Dented the radiator and the fan shroud. I cranked it and let it run for about 10 minutes but the fan never came on. The previous owner said that the fan didn't come on until 3/4 of the way on the temp gauge. I have bent the shroud off the fan to where it is not touching but the fan is still hard to turn by hand.

Question 1- Should the fan turn freely by hand or should it not? It feels like it has a bump in it every rotation, but it is not touching anywhere.

The radiator did not leak fluid when it was running but I had the bike upright. I will post some pictures when I get home but it probably depressed the right side radiator approx 1/2"-1" on the side.

Question 2- Should I try to EASILY bend the radiator side bracket back out so the engine shroud will fit back or just order another right side radiator. I found some on ebay fairly decent priced compared to new.

Is there anything else I should check or should be worried about? Rookie move, I know.
My fan turns easily. Maybe you could pull the fan off the shaft and check the shaft for straightness. The other stuff may or may not matter. I would be cautious about bending stuff as you might break it.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #1205
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,976
Quote:
Is there anything else I should check or should be worried about?
You can check your fan circuitry (up to the thermal switch) by grounding the lead to the thermal switch. The fan should activate when the lead contacts electrically frame ground.

If the fan does not turn under this test condition, the fan relay or the fan motor itself could be malfunctioning. You can test the motor in isolation by applying + 12 VDC to the fan's blue wire.

The thermal switch, at the bottom of the radiator, grounds the lead at a temperature around 200 degrees F. to activate the fan relay and the fan. You can boil it on the stove if necessary to test.

This link takes you the BigCee's fan circuit wiring diagram for the KLR650 (Generation 1); same as the KLR250's except: No fan fuse on the 250, IIRC:

http://www.bigcee.com/faq/KLR-Fan-ckt-4.jpg

Back to the question at the top of this post: If you drain and refill your radiator in your "treatment," be sure to burp the radiator fully; the KLR250 is very sensitive to air pockets in the coolant plumbing.

XDragRacer screwed with this post 07-25-2013 at 04:53 PM
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #1206
rube
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Cycleracks question

I have a cycleracks rack on my klr250. It is a Great rack for my commute. I have a 10 gallon tough tote on it, which I find incredibly handy.
Since I first got the rack I have had trouble withe the rear mounting tabs. They just do not line up well with the threaded holes on the underside of the seat rail that they are suppose to bolt into. I was able to get the 8 mm bolts threaded, but it seems that every time I do a little dirt riding that the right rear mount bolt shakes loose. The it is always very difficult to get the replacement bolt lines up again. I lost the bolt again today and am looking for a better way to attach the rear mount to the bike. I want it to be easier to attach, and less likely to come apart.
My idea is to drill a hole all the way through the seat rail so I can use a through bolt and lock nut, rather than fighting to get the bolt started in the threaded stock mounting bolt. I was going to drill the hole slightly undersized and use a 6 mm bolt and lock nut.
Anyone tried this before, or any other ideas about a better way to attach the cycleracks rack to the klr250?

Thanks
rube
rube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #1207
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Another awesome ride thanks to my 05 klr250! Rode stoney lonesome dualsport this weekend. All the other bikes I saw were dirt bikes with lights added, ive got OEM signals and the cycle racks. It kept up with other bikes ok, handled the tight woods and technical sections great. I stayed away from "black" and difficult sections, cause I'm just an occasional rider. Ill try to wade thru the hours of video to post some highlights. The bike is awesome, increased the damping and preload made a difference from last years soft ride, but better.

Sent from mobile
Old 08-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #1208
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Progressive springs

I bought a set of progressive 1136 springs for my '98. I'll get them this Thursday, hopefully. Seller says they come with PVC spacers, but no directions. I've been reading online about installation, and I'm a little confused.

Do you get rid of the stock steel spacers and just put in the progressive plastic ones? You don't use both, I assume. Does the amount of recommended fork oil change, or is it still 190mm from top? Same 10w20, or something different? Is it true I won't need to air them up, or will they still require air?

Anyone installed these springs? I'm looking forward to some front end improvement. I also have a Galfer stainless brake line and EBC shoes to install. Any advice on what type brake fluid? 4 or 5?
Old 08-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #1209
MILLENNIUM FALCON
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Sunday Ride.

Im glad to see this thread is still alive! I went out for a nice Sunday ride on my 95'. It was about 40 miles on the back roads near my house. Lookouts, fields, farms and Mountains. It was Beautiful Then back home for a campfire and some mountain pies and marshmallows with the family. It was a great summer day. Sorry To picture bomb this thread, but I didn't think anyone would mind.

MILLENNIUM FALCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #1210
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Picture-bomb away! Looks like you had a great day!
Beautiful family. The dog looks like he has his priorities.

Is a mountain pie another name for a grilled cheese sandwich?
Old 08-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #1211
MILLENNIUM FALCON
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you...haha. Yeah the dog knows who to sit by. The Mt pie in our area can have anything inside it. These were pizza filling. We make cheese steak,Ruben,ham and cheese. And dessert fillings. Pretty much anything you want. They are bake inside a cast iron pie iron. They are my primary source of food while camping. They also make mean egg mcmuffins
Old 08-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #1212
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,346
Great pics. Where? My guess is PA.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #1213
MILLENNIUM FALCON
Gnarly Adventurer

Yup central pa
Old 08-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #1214
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
I bought a set of progressive 1136 springs for my '98. I'll get them this Thursday, hopefully. Seller says they come with PVC spacers, but no directions. I've been reading online about installation, and I'm a little confused.

Do you get rid of the stock steel spacers and just put in the progressive plastic ones? You don't use both, I assume. Does the amount of recommended fork oil change, or is it still 190mm from top? Same 10w20, or something different? Is it true I won't need to air them up, or will they still require air?

Anyone installed these springs? I'm looking forward to some front end improvement. I also have a Galfer stainless brake line and EBC shoes to install. Any advice on what type brake fluid? 4 or 5?
Any pointers?
Old 08-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #1215
lwood10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13830

This might help, I know the 650 and 250 are very similar in most aspects.