Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2013, 11:24 PM   #31
WooHoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I've had a grey, black, white with red highlights GS Dry jacket for a couple of months now down here in Sydney Australia and would say it's a great jacket.... unless you need an only jacket for a lot of hot tropical riding (such as Singapore).

The good -

I find it fantastically comfortable (I'm 5'11'', broad, 95kg, in a size 52). I leave the adjustments in the one 'setting' and it fits well, snug but not at all constricting.

It's usually BMW quality. I have had a few of their jackets over the years and never been disappointed except when I get the wrong size. My fault.

It sits well, the armour sits on my shoulders and elbows and does not feel at all loose and 'floaty'. Reassuring.

The collar does not ride up and rub my helmet around the back of my head. I find this in some jackets and it is very annoying.

On the two occasions I've been caught in the light rain I was dry. I carry a light rain jacket anyway as a precaution (Aside - I can't understand the appeal of internal removable rain liners, and so some degree thermal liners. I prefer a raincoat and warm layers I can use off the bike without the bike jacket shell).

The bad -

I find the vents quite ineffective... I rode home last night, about an hour at 5 degrees Celsius, and didn't even notice I had all the vents open. If they worked I would have frozen solid in the light shirt I was wearing underneath. Heated grips on the BMW F800GS help there.

On the plus side the corrugated liner used in the inside back section is great to aid circulation and stops too much sweat building up. I leave the gym sweaty and are fine by the time I get home on more temperate commute.

In cooler climates, say up to 20-25 Celsius, it'll do fine, up from there it'd be getting warm, over 30 degrees Celsius I would be tempted to leave it at home.

The front large pockets are not good for cold hands when standing around, being top-entry, and the pocket lining is annoying when you hands are wet, it grabs and feels like the packets are turning inside out. Other pockets are fine.

Small point - I tried swapping the back protectors between my BMW Venting Machine and the GS Dry and while they could be jammed in the pocket it was not a good fit. Shame, as if one back protector could be taken on a ride and swapped between jackets I could more easily carry a mesh jacket and the GS Dry on longer rides, swapping armour as weather required.

The ugly -

... not to me. ...and more importantly, not to my wife. Apparently the colours match the 30th Anniversary BMW colours. Go figure.

When I bought the Dry jacket I tried the new Rallye (sp?) and tossed it up. As an only jacked I would have got the Rallye but already owning a Venting Machine I thought I could afford to lose the ventilation and pick the jacket based on the weather. I'm happy with my decision.
WooHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:25 AM   #32
kencc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Would like to hear more on the waterproofness of the jacket. I am trying to get away from jackets that have a separate liner for waterproof seems they never work in a heavy rain.
kencc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #33
zegm
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kencc View Post
Would like to hear more on the waterproofness of the jacket. I am trying to get away from jackets that have a separate liner for waterproof seems they never work in a heavy rain.
I would also like to see the recommended temperature ranges for the Rally and GS jackets, which is better for lower temps? I love the new blue color on the new rally suit but the GS suit looks like a better Florida winter jacket. I already own the BMW Airshell jacket and love it but below 50F degrees it isn't enough. Yes we Floridians are cold weather wimps!
zegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #34
DimitriT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Old thread but it's here so there's no need to make a new one :P

I recently bought the jacket and I've ridden for about 1k miles in the cold (?) weather of Colorado. I am quite surprised by how well the jacket fits. Piece of advice: when you think you found your size, try one smaller. And then rinse and repeat. I went 3 sizes down from where I thought I was...

I'm extremely satisfied by the warmth of it. I like the upper pockets (phone and wallet). I like the back pocket, I like the adjustments, I like the BMW quality (as well as the logo) :) What I didn't like is that I felt a slight breeze just in my arms when I was riding at 26F.

Most importantly: it IS dry! I kid you not, i was not expecting that... I found my self in a sudden storm in New Mexico (you know which ones I'm talking about) wearing my jacket, GS dry gloves, all around boots and my jeans (don't ask). After arriving at the hotel, I realized my underwear was soaking wet but NOT my torso or hands!

Well done BMW! Well done! Now I'm going to complete the set and buy the pants.
Honda Deauville (2002-2004) - R.I.P.
BMW R1200GS (2013-2014) / BMW R1200GSA (2014-)
DimitriT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:17 PM   #35
jle84
Adventurer

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumakahn View Post
I just posted a review on ADV Rider of the GS Dry Jacket that i just bought. It comes up on a search for a review of GS Dry Suit Jacket. Honestly, I love it, and it has a wider temperature range than I expected. If you look, these can be had for much less than MSRP, and I think they are a good deal.
You mention that these can be had for much less than MSRP - where are you looking? I checked my local BMW shop and they're right at $399 for the pants. Same for the online retailers I'm looking at.
jle84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #36
turnerm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
I tried on the BMW Dry Gloves at the dealer this week and loved them!
I bought a pair.
The sizing was a little troubling for me. I seem to fit both the 9.5 and 10.5 sizes.
The 10.5 feels better but the fingers are a bit long. The 9.5 are snug and not sure how they will feel after many hrs.
But the build is great. Great materials. Water and wind proof.
They have leather, corder and gore tex.
They are the best pair Ive had. I usually buy the cheap kinds that you find at other moto dealerships.
I hope they last a long time. Thats my only concern, once I got over the price.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:21 PM   #37
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I tried on the BMW Dry Gloves at the dealer this week and loved them!
I bought a pair.
The sizing was a little troubling for me. I seem to fit both the 9.5 and 10.5 sizes.
The 10.5 feels better but the fingers are a bit long. The 9.5 are snug and not sure how they will feel after many hrs.
But the build is great. Great materials. Water and wind proof.
They have leather, corder and gore tex.
They are the best pair Ive had. I usually buy the cheap kinds that you find at other moto dealerships.
I hope they last a long time. Thats my only concern, once I got over the price.
10k miles on my GS Dry gloves and no signs of any wear yet. The only spot i could mention is a small amount of "pilling" on top of index fingers where it rubs the brake lever as i transition from gripping to braking....

Love goretex extrafit. No inner glove sewn in to the glove.

'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:11 PM   #38
Simonhantler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Rp2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
My wife bought one..so far really likes it..probably has 1000 miles on it. Yes it's hot..not as much venting..but here in the Northwet..that's a problem, 25 days a year.

I love my old Rally 2..but the liner suituation makes it a no go where it rains all the time..the GS Dry wasn' out when I needed to get somethin after moving up here, I ended up buying an Aerostich Darien set up..it's nothing compared to the Dry..has already been sent back to fix 15 or so soholes worn thru the liner..it had about 8000 miles on it when it went back.
i agree about the liner. i have the rally 2 and it pisses me off that the outer gets soaked and its mostly dry inside, but getting the outer wet makes you feel cold and damp, and then you have to make sure its dry for the next days riding. I'm going to sell it and look for a really good jacket, don't care about price , that is waterproof (nothing is) on outer and has the long cut of an adv jacket. venting not that important here in nz as we just open it up on hot days. its not humid or too hot here anyway.
Simonhantler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #39
Simonhantler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
waterproof plus don't work, stupid idea
Simonhantler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:01 AM   #40
gatitaBonita
Right meow.

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone out there is still wondering about the waterproofing... I've been wearing the GS Dry Suit this season, and have been in some heavy rain a few times, and have found that it keeps me 100% dry.

The outside of the suit gets soaked, but the waterproof layer kept me completely dry on the inside.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #41
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonhantler View Post
i agree about the liner. i have the rally 2 and it pisses me off that the outer gets soaked and its mostly dry inside, but getting the outer wet makes you feel cold and damp, and then you have to make sure its dry for the next days riding. I'm going to sell it and look for a really good jacket, don't care about price , that is waterproof (nothing is) on outer and has the long cut of an adv jacket. venting not that important here in nz as we just open it up on hot days. its not humid or too hot here anyway.
Look at KLIM Badlands Pro. It IS waterproof and you'll be very happy in it.
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:39 PM   #42
mike cummins
OUTBACK RIDER

Oddometer: 720
jackets

The bmw gear is great in summer but when the outside gets wet u will feel wet even though u are dry. The klim stuff is dry outside but i imagine a bit hotter in summer. Choose your jacket based on the country u live in . Im on my 3rd bmw suit. I like the savannah i had first more than the rally i have now. Liners are fiddly.
mike cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #43
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,678
You guys realize this thread is about the waterproof GS Dry suit and not a Rallye suit? The GS dry suit is a waterproof/breathable outer shell.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:36 PM   #44
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
You guys realize this thread is about the waterproof GS Dry suit and not a Rallye suit? The GS dry suit is a waterproof/breathable outer shell.
The GS dry suit actually has a z-liner arrangement with pass throughs the wpb for the vents. It's much closer to an olympia AST compared to the actual laminates. If you ride in the rain long enough, it'll suffer the same problems as a removable liner.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #45
TSCHUS
TSCHUS

Oddometer: 4
Cool2 GS Dry Gloves

So I just rode back from the Sturgis Rally across South Dakota. It pretty much rained most of the way. The dry suit stated dry except for where it entered down the neck area. My hands were soaking wet though. I had the gloves strapped tight across the outside. Someone told me you are supposed to put the glove inside the sleeve of the jacket to keep your hands dry. Wouldn't the rain just go up your sleeve then? It seemed to me the gauntlet should go on the outside of the jacket. Why else have a long gauntlet type glove? The suit is warm. No vents in the pants. I think the knee pads are very rigid and annoying to say the least. I adjusted the knee pads up and down to no avail. I was told they heat up and flex when warm. Road in about 100 degree temps last week and they didn't seem to flex. Maybe 120 degrees is the flex point? I heard at the BMW International Rally BMW is looking to put in different knee pads. I hope so. I hate to spend $400 on a pair of pants this uncomfortable.
TSCHUS is offline   Reply With Quote