ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #256
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecreek View Post
Good grab draley where did you camp? I ended up eating dinner looking at this.
Is that Seneca Rocks again?

The iffy weather played with my head, and it looked like it would be worse over there near Reddish Knob where I wanted to go. So I ended up just day-camping at Oronoco campground and riding around up Amherst and Nelson counties. I did ride Fri., Sat., and Sun., well over 100 miles each day.

I rode all over Wiggins Springs area and Alhambra, etc. For all the Richmond Chatter of those guys being up here, I never saw any other bikes or even any other bike tracks besides my own. I intentionally tear it up so that my fresh tracks can be easily seen if another bike comes along later.

I rode down Shoe Creek on the KLR until I thought it unwise to go on alone. I then turned that pig around and climbed back out of there.

I don't want to chance taking a spill back in there without someone along to ...

...get it on film, ...and re-set my bones.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:44 AM   #257
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,233
Yep again, even the bad roads are good in that area
My guess is turning around was a good idea I do not get out of my comfort zone when I ride by myself either. One mishap can make an otherwise great day a disaster.
goosecreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:22 AM   #258
goosecreek
a desk prop

DId I kill this or are you guys to busy riding hanging with the famlies or worse working?
I am putting a few parts on the bike and spending sometime with the kids ,but should be up for a ride on the 7th if anyone is interested.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #259
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecreek View Post
DId I kill this or are you guys to busy riding hanging with the famlies or worse working?
I am putting a few parts on the bike and spending sometime with the kids ,but should be up for a ride on the 7th if anyone is interested.
I don't think this thread has very many subscribers. Too bad. It would be great if it was used to notify other riders. I notice that the "Richmond Chatter" thread is really good about that, and those guys ride up here in Amherst and Nelson Counties a lot.

I ride just about every weekend, and I'm off every other Friday. So, I'm out there and usually just riding locally in the national forests.

I will be off the entire first week of Sept., so I will be out and about for sure.

I always have my Droid with me, so a quick contact of any kind if you're out there and I can send you an "I am here" map.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #260
Mava OP
---

Oddometer: 147
Family and work take up most of my time. I would have time to go for a ride on Sept. 14 or 15 though!
Mava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #261
MGB
ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer: 1,863
ok, I'll chime in

I do check this thread as we have a camp over near Forks of Buffalo in Amherst. I'm mainly pavement with some fire roads mixed in - only bike in the garage is a Super Tenere.

But I do keep my eye out for folks when we're up that way!

Marc
Old 08-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #262
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mava View Post
Family and work take up most of my time. I would have time to go for a ride on Sept. 14 or 15 though!
I can't think that far ahead, but I'm usually out there somewhere on the weekends. Please post again right before you go riding. I keep an eyes and ears open for other inmates in the area.

MGB...I want a Super Tenere...bad! But, I want to wait until there is a better selection of used ones on the market. Eventually, I will have one. BTW, love that there are more traffic lights at Forks of Buffalo than anywhere else in Amherst County. :)
Old 08-23-2013, 05:30 AM   #263
MGB
ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer: 1,863
Yeah, the traffic light situation is funny. Our place is up NOrth Fork Road, so I usually arrive to a red light - with my right turn right there!

A lot S10's are starting to hit the market and I already see the prices dropping. I bought mine this time last year from a guy in NY City - I think he was getting divorced or somthing. Over a 5 day window he kept dropping his price - maybe because I came across as a serious buyer, and he admitted he didn't want to deal with tire kickers (especially in NY city).

The S10 let me get down to one bike that does everything (for me) well. I'm usually not into high tech stuff, but the traction control is amazing - my driveway up there involves a steep, grassy section - I can cruise up when it's soaking wet without a worry.

I'll keep my eye out for any of you guys on the road! You're lucky to live in such a great area for riding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by draley View Post
MGB...I want a Super Tenere...bad! But, I want to wait until there is a better selection of used ones on the market. Eventually, I will have one. BTW, love that there are more traffic lights at Forks of Buffalo than anywhere else in Amherst County. :)
Old 08-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #264
Duvekot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Are there any Virginia Tech ADVers out there? I've been seeing some nice dualsports around campus, so there must be some fellow adventurers at this great big school.
Oh yeah, and here's a pic of my bike

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk 2
Duvekot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #265
Rocktruggy03
No re-tread here...

Oddometer: 103
I have absolutely fallen in love with my KLR! I'm short too so I feel your pain brother.

I just got a new job and found 3 new KLRs in the parking lot. Hopefully we'll have some new fellas soon.

2008 KLR650
Rocktruggy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #266
Rocktruggy03
No re-tread here...

Oddometer: 103
Our first baby was due today but shes a no show. My time has been taken up by work and my wonderful wife.

Seems like there's a fair number of us now. Sure would be nice to get together.

Also a fella in my neighborhood just traded his v-strom for a super ten...that thing is beautiful let me tell you.

2008 KLR650
Rocktruggy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:14 AM   #267
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Puke Don't get ur hopes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktruggy03 View Post
I have absolutely fallen in love with my KLR! I'm short too so I feel your pain brother.

I just got a new job and found 3 new KLRs in the parking lot. Hopefully we'll have some new fellas soon.
Don't get your hopes up. I see 3 at work also, but I see no evidence that they have ever been off-road, or that they are interested in ADV.

Let's see, it may be the same place,...a 2011 blue/silver, a 2012 all black, a brand new 2013 black with red and white graphics.

Unfortunately, those guys all stick to the slab apparently, and mostly just commute to work on them (Makes me wonder why they would buy a KLR ). If I were going to stay on the pavement, I could think of a dozen other bikes I'd rather have than a KLR.

There is a 4th, 2009 blue/black...mine, but I never ride mine to work. Mine is for weekend adventures on gravel and dirt roads in the mountains. The only slab I ride is whatever I have to, just to get to the woods/forest.

If that's the kind of riding you want to do, then PM me. I live in Forest and I head for the mountains and ride just about every fair-weather weekend.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #268
goosecreek
a desk prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktruggy03 View Post
Our first baby was due today but shes a no show. My time has been taken up by work and my wonderful wife.

Seems like there's a fair number of us now. Sure would be nice to get together.

Also a fella in my neighborhood just traded his v-strom for a super ten...that thing is beautiful let me tell you.

Hope all is well and you are holding a healthy newborn now.Nothing will change you and your veiw of the world more than fatherhood. Congratulations
Old 09-14-2013, 04:30 AM   #269
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Rte

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=2135

I'm considering running up to this Meet n Greet this morning. It's about an hour and 1/2 ride (all slab) to get there.

Anybody interested?
Old 09-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #270
Mava OP
---

Oddometer: 147

ended up on LUs trails and took a spin around the motox track and motox trails, neither of which are any place for a KLR. posting from Apocalypse Brewery :)

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2
Mava is offline   Reply With Quote