ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
KLRRix69 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
G.W.N.F. Ride Reports

Last Wednesday, a Buddy and I set out to the Fort Valley area of the George Washington National Forest. Pretty disappointing day, as almost all of the trails were shut down... Due to some chemical, "herbicide" spray for brush control, and some others closed to to trail maintenance. We explored the whole Fort Valley area, only being on a dirt road for 8 miles, and that was it! (Crisman Hollow Road) South of that near Elkton, Club Run Road is closed down as well, and has been for quite some time now.

So I'm making this thread for anybody riding in the GWNF. That would like to share ride reports, status of trails, mapping, pics, videos, ETC.

Here are the videos on YouTube of our trip with more details:
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7oK1r6vfG8
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyAv12JFXuA
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEj9J...ature=youtu.be

Mapping of our ride: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...05cc812e&msa=0

Started out as a wet, foggy morning. It soon cleared up as we made our way on the other side of the Mountain. Our journey Began from Fredericksburg, VA.

Couldn't pass this up... Luray, VA

Start of the GWNF off of Crisman Hollow Road, on the Massanutten Mountain Range facing the Shenandoah Mountains.

Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/KLRRix69

KLRRix69 screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 02:22 PM
KLRRix69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:26 AM   #2
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,632
The way you worded some of those sentences I'm assuming you tried to post photos. I don't see any.

Funny, Cub Run Road was gated on the North end a few weeks back. Another inmate walked down to the Furnace and there was a mini van parked there. Seems the entire road form the South was open, just not that 1/2 miles section.

Next time your in Fort Valley look up St. Davids Church road and Bolivar/Dry Run/Boyer roads. Not all are gravel but are fun to ride.

bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,152
Good stuff! I watched your videos -- the dynamic between your positive attitude and your buddys Billys cracked me up. Billy needs some off road gear - and maybe some lighter bikes too

As you found out the open road density in Ft. Valley is pretty low - especially compared to Rockingham County. This is why the S500 is in that area - and why I am looking for land there

If you pick up a GPS I can help you with some accurate road data.

Did you and Billy make it through Feedstone Mountain Road (72C)? In theory it connects to a private road.. but I was wondering if it was gated at the end?

Here is an overview of the area N/S of 33 vs Ft Valley.

Blue Lines - Year round open USFS Roads
Yellow Lines - Seasonal USFS Road
Brown Lines - Administrative USFS Roads (Closed)
Red Lines - Decommissioned USFS Roads (Usually seeded and reclaimed)
Orange Lines - Closed but not decommissioned USFS Roads
Gray Lines - Private Roads
White Lines - Public / VDOT Roads that cross USFS lands
Purple Lines - Unknown USFS Roads (Typically not gated and not in the MVUM)
Pink Lines - Unauthorized Route (Catchall for the USFS doesn't really know how, why or if they are there)
Thin Green Lines - Trails (Mostly non-Motorized)

Area N/S of 33 (Red Thumbtack is end of USFS 72C - Feedstone Mtn)

Fort Valley

error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Here is one more photo to put it all in perspective. Shaded purple areas are USFS lands - and the black lines are the boundaries. All the private, fragmented inholdings N/S of 33 are the main reason so many of those roads are still open.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
KLRRix69 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
The way you worded some of those sentences I'm assuming you tried to post photos. I don't see any.

Funny, Cub Run Road was gated on the North end a few weeks back. Another inmate walked down to the Furnace and there was a mini van parked there. Seems the entire road form the South was open, just not that 1/2 miles section.

Next time your in Fort Valley look up St. Davids Church road and Bolivar/Dry Run/Boyer roads. Not all are gravel but are fun to ride.
Photos and links both dont work? They seem fine on my end, hmm... They said the North End of Club Run was closed down. I believe we went down most of those roads you mentioned, they were great. A lot of surrounding land owners seem to be trying to intimidate people wiht their no tresspassing signs right by the road.

Youtube Channel:
Old 08-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRRix69 View Post
Photos and links both dont work? They seem fine on my end, hmm...
Looks like they are to your google attachments - and if you are still logged in you can probably see them. They are not visible to others.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
KLRRix69 OP
Adventurer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by error cooled View Post
Good stuff! I watched your videos -- the dynamic between your positive attitude and your buddys Billys cracked me up. Billy needs some off road gear - and maybe some lighter bikes too

As you found out the open road density in Ft. Valley is pretty low - especially compared to Rockingham County. This is why the S500 is in that area - and why I am looking for land there

If you pick up a GPS I can help you with some accurate road data.

Did you and Billy make it through Feedstone Mountain Road (72C)? In theory it connects to a private road.. but I was wondering if it was gated at the end?

Here is an overview of the area N/S of 33 vs Ft Valley.

Blue Lines - Year round open USFS Roads
Yellow Lines - Seasonal USFS Road
Brown Lines - Administrative USFS Roads (Closed)
Red Lines - Decommissioned USFS Roads (Usually seeded and reclaimed)
Orange Lines - Closed but not decommissioned USFS Roads
Gray Lines - Private Roads
White Lines - Public / VDOT Roads that cross USFS lands
Purple Lines - Unknown USFS Roads (Typically not gated and not in the MVUM)
Pink Lines - Unauthorized Route (Catchall for the USFS doesn't really know how, why or if they are there)
Thin Green Lines - Trails (Mostly non-Motorized)

Area N/S of 33 (Red Thumbtack is end of USFS 72C - Feedstone Mtn)

Fort Valley

Thanks for all the great info! I'm looking for land in that area as well... I really like the Elkton area. Hey hey now! I love my KLR and know how to man handle that pig! Billy, eh not so much lol. I keep telling him to get gear, and crash bars hes stubborn! He cracked his fairing on a drop and that finally scared him enough to consider it... Hes a squid!

And yes, Feedstone Road went on about 5-7 miles until we reached a gate, with a sign saying video surveillance and no tresspassing. That sure was one fun trail, wish it looped out!

I'm planning a camping trip out there September 20-22, and October 24-28th. More details for those trips to come, it seems you know the area pretty well you should consider joining us. GPS is coming soon too, so that would be nice.

Youtube Channel:
Old 08-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
KLRRix69 OP
Adventurer

I forgot to mention, Long Run Road the main route Feedstone lies off of is closed down. Just a little passed the entrace to feedstone there is a gate. I did not see it about a year ago...

Youtube Channel:
Old 08-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #9
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Quote:
I forgot to mention, Long Run Road the main route Feedstone lies off of is closed down. Just a little passed the entrace to feedstone there is a gate. I did not see it about a year ago...
That is bizarre. Was it a USFS gate or a private land owners?

That road goes through the Feedstone Hunt Club - but to my knowledge the road is a public ROW....

hmmm...

error cooled screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 06:00 PM
Old 08-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
KLRRix69 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
That is bizarre. Was it a USFS gate or a private land owners?

That road goes through the Feedstone Hunt Club - but to my knowledge the road is a public ROW....

hmmm...
Yeah I know, I did not see it last year so it was odd to me It said NO Trespassing if I'm not mistaken and a black gate, it was definitely new. And also, that left hand turn towards the ATV parking lot off Long Run right at the end before the loop to 33, there's a gate just a quarter mile from the road. I had to lay the bike down to get it underneath the gate. I did not want to trek 12 miles back up a rocky hard-ish trail.

Youtube Channel:
Old 08-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #11
error cooled
anything but asphalt

FWIW - I connected with the N. River District Ranger and confirmed that Long Run through Feedstone is a Public ROW and should be treated as such. He had not heard of a gate.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #12
KLRRix69 OP
Adventurer

Wink

Quote:
FWIW - I connected with the N. River District Ranger and confirmed that Long Run through Feedstone is a Public ROW and should be treated as such. He had not heard of a gate.
So in other words pass the gate and keep going? That trail was rough not passible by a vehicle at all. We had to move trees brush big rocks etc. but that's good to know because we were 2-3 miles to route 33, such a let down.

Youtube Channel:
Old 08-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #13
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Quote:
So in other words pass the gate and keep going? That trail was rough not passible by a vehicle at all. We had to move trees brush big rocks etc. but that's good to know because we were 2-3 miles to route 33, such a let down.
I think we are talking different locations.

I was referring to the new gate you found on Long Run FDR 72 at the property line with Feedstone Hunt Club. That road is not rough.

Basically Long Run (72) from Clines Hacking to the intersection of Halls Springs (85-2) should be clear and a public ROW.