ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
shoein OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
clutch pressure plate bolts backed out on 2004 950S

I just purchased a 2004 ktm adventure 950S from an inmate with all the tech bulletins documented. On the first ride two of the clutch pressure plate bolts came out taking out the clutch basket, clutch cover, outer clutch hub, the bearing and probably more. Shut engine down after hearing loud grinding sounds. Hope debris has not gone through motor. The bolts are documented as being checked and torqued 6000 miles ago. Does anyone have any of the above parts sitting on a shelf to sell. Thanks to Fundyrider and MP5 for getting me out of the woods and my wife for driving to New Brunswick to bring me home.
shoein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
LisaS
Dubious Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
So shoein broke my brand new (to us) KTM first time out. I've barely even got to sit on it.
We started to tear it down today and here are some pics of the damage we have discovered so far.
It was not the plate bolts that came loose, but the studs that screw into the clutch booster unit. 1 was tight , 3 were very loose and 2 came out completely- this is some of the parts that were found:

This is the clutch cover

[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]This is the pressure cap[/COLOR]

This is the clutch basket with 4 broken teeth

The end of the clutch push rod that inserts into the bearing on the pressure cap is extremely worn making about a 1/16 inch gap between it and the bearing. Will pull the clutch pull rod tomorrow to see how the rest of it looks. The outside of clutch plates are damaged. The bearing on the pressure cap seems to be catching.

Wondering if the bearing failed causing the push rod to wear causing vibration that loosened the studs threaded into the clutch booster unit.

If anyone has any used parts for sale, it would be a big help!
tent space
LisaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Outch, that's quite painfull for you people.

Here is a fleebay pressure plate of a 2006 950:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-KTM-950...item4d0568e41c
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
One of my bolts actually broke. Found this on my oil screen on the side of the road:

A few oil changes later, and 10K+ miles and it's still running fine!

No used parts to sell you, but just thought you'd like to know it's not the end of the world, nor the end of your engine.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:44 AM   #5
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,674
Had one of the booster bolts break on me a while ago - same injury..
Youll be happy to know the the debris is at the start of the oil circuit so its well filtered before it goes through the pump and onto the rest of the motor.
Buy a new clutch booster (theyre cheap enough) and associated parts and run a couple of changes of oil/filter after you fish out the leftovers.

Having said that the booster on the 950/990 is pissweak compared to the 640/660/690 billet parts.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
shoein OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It's good to hear that the motor should be ok with a few oil and filter changes. Does anyone have experience with the non ktm clutch kits, their is EBC, Barnett, and outlaw racing and probably a few others. thanks
Old 08-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
Fundy Rider
Where 2?

Oddometer: 233
rekluse owners

A friend of Shoein and was with him the day it happened. His first trip in the woods with the orange beast. It kinda hit home how theses bikes are for him. They are wonderful machines but we all know they can be a bit overwhelming with maintenance with all the known issues with our bike. So I am going to come right out here and put this out there and ask the 950 riders that have put in a rekluse if they may help a good friend out and help a fellow rider out with a deal on there stock clutch. I would hate to see him get rid of the bike due to this. I really enjoy riding with him and after the one day on the big bikes I see we are very like minded when it comes to riding the big bikesTreat them like a dirt bike and have fun. I habe ridden with him many times with our smaller bikes. I know this is a bit long winded but thought I would put it out on this great forum.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
Tslapper
#!

Oddometer: 6,246
Dang, I rode that bike for several years. Loved it, hated it, put a lot into it so I could continue to enjoy the ride. This just wasn't something I would have expected at this point. ugh.

Jerry, check your pms.
Tslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #9
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,607
All right, I've got all the stock stuff and while I'm going to hate myself later if I ever need this stuff again I will sell it to Shoein. My general flea market deal around here is 50% of KTM retail. Does that sound fair?

Hit me up with a PM or e-mail.

Brent

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:25 AM   #10
shoein OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tslapper has made a very generous and kind offer to help. What a great guy. With his help and the credit card I have ordered most of the parts to fix it. Clutch basket is coming from Ebay and some of the oem parts from ktmworld. I still need a clutch cover, If anyone has upgraded to one of cj designs see through covers please check to see if the old one is lying around. Thanks for all the kind words fundyrider. If it wasn't for you, Steve and MP5 I would still be trying to push that bike out of the woods.

shoein screwed with this post 08-14-2013 at 05:41 AM
Old 08-14-2013, 06:01 AM   #11
Fundy Rider
Where 2?

Oddometer: 233
Jerry just so you know I had a look at the map and you pushed the bike over 8kms. About five on a railbed but the rest was a little tougher with washouts to deal with.

All of this with a couple cracked or broken ribs after getting kicked by a horse early in the week. Good drugs I guess but man I thought hockey players were tough. You Ferriers definitely went up a notch in my book.