ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #871
arbrlvr
Santa Rosa, CA

Oddometer: 81
Thank you! I'll be attempting it about Wednesday of next week with my 18 yr old son. I'll look for your post from this coming weekend. That would be awesome. I've had to turn back from hunter and back track all the way, not nearly as fun. Have a good trip this weekend!
arbrlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:08 AM   #872
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac004 View Post
As of 3/4, yes, it is very clear. There was no snow and no standing water/mud anywhere on the road over Hunter Pass, pretty dry. See my ride report here for details: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=869090

However, I heard that last weekend there was snow up there, so I am not sure how it is now.

I should be making another pass through there this weekend and will report back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbrlvr View Post
Thank you! I'll be attempting it about Wednesday of next week with my 18 yr old son. I'll look for your post from this coming weekend. That would be awesome. I've had to turn back from hunter and back track all the way, not nearly as fun. Have a good trip this weekend!
Good to hear! We have a group that will be running over Hunter Mtn on 3/25!
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #873
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Just got back from DV last night. As an update to my report a few weeks ago, the following roads are in good shape (as in about the same condition as last year, no major surprises): Saline Valley Road to South pass to Saline Valley Hot Springs, Steele Pass. Rode Lippencot for the first time, in the downhill direction, very rocky but any intermediate can do it if you take your time. It was OK on a single, probably not much fun on a bigger twin.

Swansee to Salt Trams to Cerro Gordo Road...the only snow I saw was a small patch just west of the trams, it is very easy to by pass, and may be gone in the next 1-2 weeks. Swansee is very rocky, not for the faint of heart. Otherwise, all perfect, and stunning views of snow capped Sierras! I will post a few teasers later.
isaac004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #874
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac004 View Post
Just got back from DV last night. As an update to my report a few weeks ago, the following roads are in good shape (as in about the same condition as last year, no major surprises): Saline Valley Road to South pass to Saline Valley Hot Springs, Steele Pass. Rode Lippencot for the first time, in the downhill direction, very rocky but any intermediate can do it if you take your time. It was OK on a single, probably not much fun on a bigger twin.

Swansee to Salt Trams to Cerro Gordo Road...the only snow I saw was a small patch just west of the trams, it is very easy to by pass, and may be gone in the next 1-2 weeks. Swansee is very rocky, not for the faint of heart. Otherwise, all perfect, and stunning views of snow capped Sierras! I will post a few teasers later.
Thanks for the update. Things are looking good for the noobs rally in a couple of weeks!
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #875
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,530
Hey Isaac,

We tried a few months ago to get big bikes to the Salt Tram from Cerro to Swansea. It turned out the GSAdventure I was with was just too big a bike.

Did you go up from the Swansea side? I have been to the Salt Tram from Cerro, so I am familiar with that, but I'd like to do the trail to Swansea..

Recommendations?
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #876
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer View Post
Hey Isaac,

We tried a few months ago to get big bikes to the Salt Tram from Cerro to Swansea. It turned out the GSAdventure I was with was just too big a bike.

Did you go up from the Swansea side? I have been to the Salt Tram from Cerro, so I am familiar with that, but I'd like to do the trail to Swansea..

Recommendations?

these are some of the (steeper than the photo) steps going up the other side of Swansea, I wouldn't want to go with anyone on a GSA unless I knew they had mad skills, but that's just me.
There's a few other fun climbs going up that way, super fun ride. You on the 530, no problem IMO.

See you soon hopefully!

Sounds like it's a little different up there compared to 5 weeks ago.

Thanks for the update Isaac, looking good for n00bs.... still waiting on your teaser photos.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 07:24 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:54 AM   #877
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer View Post
Hey Isaac,

Recommendations?
I agree with Finn, there's only a few GSA riders I would want to go up there with, because I know they could handle it and because I would not have to help haul the bike up or down!

It is steep and rocky, fun on a thumper, but I would not even take my F800GS up there. I would call it an advanced trail, but also suitable for seasoned intermediates.

Pics coming soon, just been very busy!
Old 03-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #878
Off Limits
Really?

Oddometer: 3,270
Good job guys
Old 03-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #879
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

As of Sunday 3/17, this was the only snow spot on Swansea Grade Road....it was very easy to ride around on terra firma. I did not ride up White Mountain Road. You could go from the ghost town of Cerro Gordo straight to Salt Trams without any snow at all. In the next 1-2 weeks I bet that snow patch will have melted.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #880
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,229
Any washouts to report on South Pass?

A storm went through the South Pass area recently and I was wondering if there have been any new washouts especially on South Pass, North Pass or Steele Pass in the Saline Valley area.

Post up any recent pics if you have been there lately.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #881
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 4,698
Wicked

D V is too hot right now.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #882
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
A storm went through the South Pass area recently and I was wondering if there have been any new washouts especially on South Pass, North Pass or Steele Pass in the Saline Valley area.

Post up any recent pics if you have been there lately.
There has been lots of damage to the backcountry roads. For example:

"Saline Valley Road from Big Pine to Death Valley was closed Tuesday morning after flood waters on Monday cut a 40-foot deep by 50-foot wide hole in the roadway, according to Sheriff Bill Lutze. The road will remain closed indefinitely."
from here: http://www.inyoregister.com/node/4908

For more local/recent knowledge, check here:
http://www.deathvalley.com/dvtalk/dvtalk.shtml

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #883
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
Sounds like a ADV Saline Valley scout mission is in order.... temps around Lone Pine look survivable now, stay in higher elevations mid-day, explore the valley early and late in the day, camp above 4K.
Who wants to go?

Interesting reading on the DV message board, especially the possible new changes, should be a great year to ride small bikes around DV.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #884
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Sounds like a ADV Saline Valley scout mission is in order.... temps around Lone Pine look survivable now, stay in higher elevations mid-day, explore the valley early and late in the day, camp above 4K.
Who wants to go?

Interesting reading on the DV message board, especially the possible new changes, should be a great year to ride small bikes around DV.
If I was local, I'd be all over that. But alas, I'm not. :)

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #885
1224R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Who wants to go?

Yep.....