User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #721
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Summer Activities

Was up at Brian Head a few days ago. Had a bit of time to cruise around on the WRR. Big project digging a new lake in the meadow. Hope it turns out well.

Might change our winter patterns with the snow mobiles and tubes, but we'll find a place. On the plus side the lake will give us another place to play with the kayaks.

Looking down on the excavation pit.

My son on the ATV, not waiting around for any more pics. He's ready to ride!!!

Did Mystery Canyon in Zion with sister and nephew yesterday. Here's me tossing the rope at the top of the Mystery Spring rappel.

With my nephew in a wet part of the canyon.

Recent rain made this water landing about chest deep. For those interested, "Mystery Lake" is 1/2 full. Water is about waist deep, still relatively fresh and not too cold. I'll spare you the pics of the floating debris.

They always leave me to deal with the rope in the water.

Sister going down the last rap into the Narrows. Always an audience of curious onlookers down below. Most common question: "Where the hell are you coming from?"

Keeping with the waterfall and rappelling theme, I'll add a few pics from our recent trip to Costa Rica. This is my son and wife rappelling down a 160 ft. drop. Lots of water for my son on the left rope.

My wife a little further down canyon. All wet all the time. Fun!

Two happy campers. Almost the same size.

Thanks for checkin' in. Heading to CA (Bay Area) for a week. More moto rides in St. George area starting in mid-August. Ride safely out there.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #722
holiday
DL650K7

Oddometer: 88
Mystery Canyon

How do you get to the Mystery Canyon Trail head?
holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #723
RockinTheRVA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Love all of your pictures, thanks for sharing your adventures! Can't wait to move out that way someday.
RockinTheRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #724
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Utah Hill with Dad

Summer vacation season is over. Back in St. George. My son started back to school and the routine is re-establishing itself. All good. That means afternoon moto rides with Dad! Still hot, but we take off for the Utah Hill (via Navajo Drive in Bloomington) in late afternoon.

Here we are at the top of one of the first rises.

Climbing by one of the power lines. On Benchmark this is labelled "Blakes Lambing Grounds." The green below is Bloomington, the southern suburb of St. George.

Self portrait at one of the cattle gates. Way to dry for cattle now. Much better in Spring or Fall. In winter this area gets occasional snows. Been stuck up here on ATVs with my nephews before.

The mighty TW200. Virgin River Gorge is in the background.

Stopped with Dad at a good viewpoint for Jarvis Peak. This is the most prominent peak to the west of St. George that is referred to as the "Utah Hill" (Presumably because it borders with Nevada).

Dad takes a pic of me. We are headed towards the red cliffs of Ivins, far in the distance.

Scenic spot on the descent of the Mojave Desert Joshua Tree Scenic Backway. Looking towards the White Hills and the Shivwits Indian Reservation. Pine Valley Mountain in the distant background.

Some tree skeletons on this side of the "Utah Hill" as well. Many more on the western slopes.

Dad cruising ahead as I am dawdling with the camera.

Late afternoon. Still very hot. Looking back at our road. Great 40 mile loop with Dad. Good to be back on the bikes together!

Bonus photo. Just back from a family trip to CA. This was a much cooler place. Should be easy to guess . . .

Thanks for all the comments and PMs. I'll catch up with everything now that I'm back home and have more time. Ride safely out there! And ride often.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #725
KICKNBACK
Over The Bars Club

Oddometer: 73
Waterfall

I live in Ca. and dont know where that is. You seem to find the coolest places.

"My brain still thinks my body is 20 years old"

08 WR250r, 13 F800gs
KICKNBACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #726
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Inmate Ride, Tuesday, Aug 20th at 9:30 am

Open Invite. Meet at Subway on north Bluff Street in St. George at 9:30 am.

Easy dual sport ride, mostly likely to Enterprise Reservoir area. Lots of variations possible. May explore Utah Hill area in route. Some pavement but mostly maintained dirt. Slightly higher elevations than St. George. Bring water.

Gas and food (Marv's) available in Enterprise town. Tank range of 100 miles adequate. Lots of bail-out or extension options.

A few of the boys (StG and Simba) from previous rides are around. Get out and join us if you can.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #727
simbaboy
Lansing MBS

Oddometer: 624
Thanks for arranging another ride.
Really looking forward to it. Please make sure StG researches fuel additives. Otherwise, how is he going to keep up with me now that I have conquered The WRT with only a few bruises.
See you Tuesday and Thanks Again!
Simba

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post

Easy dual sport ride, mostly likely to Enterprise Reservoir area. Lots of variations possible. May explore Utah Hill area in route. Some pavement but mostly maintained dirt. Slightly higher elevations than St. George. Bring water.

Gas and food (Marv's) available in Enterprise town. Tank range of 100 miles adequate. Lots of bail-out or extension options.

A few of the boys (StG and Simba) from previous rides are around. Get out and join us if you can.
simbaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #728
ElleDubs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
I'm in. It's my birthday so I have a great excuse to play hooky and go ride on a Tuesday
ElleDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:48 AM   #729
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Another nice trip with your dad on the TW. I'll have to remember your "Tree Skeletons". Though I ride through lots of fire area's, burned Juniper tree's remind me the most of "Tree Skeletons".

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #730
Louutah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:

Redrockrider.......always enjoy your reports!!! I cannot make this trip but will watch this thread for future heads up. I'm in SLC and would love to bring my TW down for a ride with you!
Louutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #731
simbaboy
Lansing MBS

Oddometer: 624
Thanks RRR.
We will be in St.George Sunday late PM.
Looking forward to our ride.
Hey, can we include the 'rock laden hill' again in our route? Or something equivalent? And bring on the deepest sand you can find. I need to lay down my bike several more times to justify buying an orange bike. Or just repainting mine to that dreadful color!
See you and Thanks,
Simba

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbaboy View Post
Thanks for arranging another ride.
Really looking forward to it. Please make sure StG researches fuel additives. Otherwise, how is he going to keep up with me now that I have conquered The WRT with only a few bruises.
See you Tuesday and Thanks Again!
Simba
simbaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #732
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by holiday View Post
How do you get to the Mystery Canyon Trail head?
Mystery Canyon starts on the East Mesa trail near the top of Observation Point. Better yet, you can drive to Zion Ponderosa Ranch Area (Flying Monkey Rally) and hike on high flat ground 2 miles to the head of Mystery Canyon, also known as the "death gully." Faint trail down the right side of the "death gully." Mystery is a technical canyon. Ropes and rappelling equipment definitely needed. Also a relatively tough permit to get from Zion National Park.

Probably best to do Subway, Orderville, and/or Keyhole prior to doing Mystery. Best to have a bit of experience first. Good write-up and guide to Mystery: http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/...ystery-canyon/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Man View Post
How about telling us about the shoes, socks and other items you are using there to clamber about the wetness.
For general hiking in the Narrows the only specialized equipment is water shoes and neoprene socks. The best water shoes are called 5.10s. These are the yellow and black shoes with buckles frequently seen in the Narrows and rented from several gear shops in Springdale. http://fiveten.com/products/footwear...l/69-canyoneer

Also very helpful (critical) are hiking poles, helps to balance and check water depth. Hiking the Narrows in Zion from the bottom up is a very fun hike suitable for families with smaller kids. If adventurous you can go miles upstream including up the lower part of Orderville Canyon. When 1/2 tired simply turn around and walk back downstream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KICKNBACK View Post
I live in Ca. and dont know where that is. You seem to find the coolest places.
Vernal Falls, Yosemite National Park.

Thanks, inmates and lurkers. 150,000 views and lots of stars. Appreciate all the positive comments and PMs. Looking forward to seeing a few of you FF on Tuesday at 9:30 am.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #733
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Inmate Ride, Tuesday, Aug 20th at 9:30 am

Meet at Subway on North Bluff Street, 9:30 am. Go a few minutes early to indulge in the $3 cheap eats.

Subway is 5 blocks north of St. George Blvd on right hand side. Very easy. I'll be on my TW200. Should have 4 other riders, perhaps a few more. Miki (KLR lurker), SimbaBoy (KLR, no side cases), StG (WRR with fuel additive), ElleDubs - the birthday girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleDubs View Post
I'm in. It's my birthday so I have a great excuse to play hooky and go ride on a Tuesday
Bring a Utah State Park Pass if you have one. There is one variation where we might want to ride through Snow Canyon State Park on the way back to St. George. Route will generally be in Enterprise Reservoir area. Some pavement to get there, then mostly easy dirt roads. Unfortunately for SimbaBoy no sand, only a few rocks, mostly firm dirt.

Teaser pic from area by "Pinnacles" from longer ride last year, Post #436 top of Page 30.

Plan to stop in Enterprise town for food (Marv's) and fuel. 100 mile tank range fine. Lots of options for return to St. George. Bring water. Temps will be slightly cooler at higher elevation but still warm.

Lurkers and fence-sitters welcome to join. 9:30 am Tuesday, 8/20, at Subway on North Bluff St.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:52 AM   #734
Ol Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:

For general hiking in the Narrows the only specialized equipment is water shoes and neoprene socks. The best water shoes are called 5.10s. These are the yellow and black shoes with buckles frequently seen in the Narrows and rented from several gear shops in Springdale. http://fiveten.com/products/footwear...l/69-canyoneer

Also very helpful (critical) are hiking poles, helps to balance and check water depth. Hiking the Narrows in Zion from the bottom up is a very fun hike suitable for families with smaller kids. If adventurous you can go miles upstream including up the lower part of Orderville Canyon. When 1/2 tired simply turn around and walk back downstream.
Thanks for the information. Seems we are never in Zion when the weather is warmer, but next time I hope to hike up the canyon a bit.
Ol Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:34 AM   #735
Rut Runner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Kanab to Mesquite route suggestions?

Excellent pictures in this thread!

Looking for route suggestions to go from Kanab to Mesquite and back. Ideally would want a scenic, tougher dual-sport or trail route taking one day in each direction. This would be for mid-September.

I've done some research, and the Honeymoon trail is frequently mentioned. Also found the Tri-state ATV jamboree website with lots of trail maps.
Rut Runner is offline   Reply With Quote