Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #61
biggusbikus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Once again I read about Americans riding a KLR at 70mph. ??? Why? Why would anybody do that?
biggusbikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #62
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggusbikus View Post
Once again I read about Americans riding a KLR at 70mph. ??? Why? Why would anybody do that?
You can talk about America all you want, what is your response to this catastrophe?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=910925

Oh and an honest question. Why is BC so much higher is gas prices? I thought all of Canada what expensive but Alberta had reasonable prices.

1.47 a liter in BC ~ 5.50 a gallon
1.15 in Alberta ~ 4.25 a gallon.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #63
Slatz
m00b

Oddometer: 309
Hi from your Hyder buddy Roger

Great ride report. It was a pleasure spending some time together.

I'm glad we all survived being Hyderized!

Fish and Chips at the shack

"I will say that when it's cool out and I'm in full road gear, top to bottom, full face locked down and riding across country...I feel the fullest of escape. Almost like I imagine an astronaut feels or a pilot of a fighter jet. Complete dissociation and disinterest in anything other than the bike the ride the view and the wind buffeting my helmet. It is bliss." Cornfed
Slatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #64
Gootch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
Dang - drew me in with the umbrella girl photo and now I've read the whole report. Well done and keep it coming.
Gootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:28 PM   #65
#1Fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 687
I'm in!
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:03 AM   #66
ShinyRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Thumb Respect!

Im in!
ShinyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #67
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 10
We leave Watson Lake and head to Whitehorse.

Went across a scary bridge that makes the bike get all wobbly.

At whitehorse we wash the bike.

Head out of whitehorse into a Yukon government campground. It was 10 miles down a gravel road.

For 12 bucks a night, you get free firewood and a nice campsite.

Miles: 325

Day 11
Whitehorse to Tok, AK

Today is the first day we hit the main part of Alaska.

It is also the worst roads on the whole trip. From Haines junction to the Canadian border is full of potholes, frost heaves, and anything that makes riding miserable.

Not many pictures because it was such a miserable ride.

We head into Alaska to stay a motorcycle campground in Tok.

Coolest camp ground of the trip. This is also the first time we have phone service in a week. I call dealerships in fairbanks and anchorage for a rear tire. My current one is almost toast. Fairbank's dealers are open on Mondays so we decide to head there the next day.They have one tire in stock in my size.

Miles: 350
Old 08-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #68
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
It is also the worst roads on the whole trip.
Yeah, that stretch from about Burwash Landing up to the border is full of frost heaves, potholes and general roughness. Not to mention the gravel and construction. I had the pleasure of riding it in the rain last month and getting coated with mud behind the pilot car. The Tesoro station in Tok lets you use their carwash for free with a fill up. Needless to say, I filled up.

Too bad about the Cassiar weather. It's a beautiful ride. There were some long sections that had been freshly chip sealed, but not yet painted. With no visual cues to which way the road was going over some hills, it was necessary to slow down a bit. The bright pink fireweed growing in that burned area was amazing among the black and white tree stalks.

The Teslin bridge is a thrill. Added to the challenge of the steel grates and bumpiness is the strong crosswind. Steel grate bridges don't normally bother me, but that one is a handful.

Enjoying the report so far.
Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #69
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 12
Tok to Fairbanks

We headed to Fairbanks because they had a rear tire in stock. The rear is a 160/60-18. A weird size.

No real excitement. On the way there we passed a convoy of about 30 RVs. Got up to 100 when passing, the bike handled fine.

Also saw a moose chilling in a pond.

We got to fairbanks, bought the rear tire, which was $230 (eek) and took it to Adventure cycleworks to get mounted. At the mechanic I noticed that I lost a bolt for the exhaust. I had a spare to use though and got a nut from the mechanic.

Stayed at the University of Anchorage Fairbanks dorms, which is a steal for 36 bucks! Free laundry, nice showers!

Popular place for the adventure riders to sleep.

Miles: 200

Day 13
We checked the weather for the arctic ocean and decided against trying to go to Deadhorse at that time. We headed south to the Denali National Park.

We stopped at a brewery called 49th State Brewery. They had the bus from the movie Into the Wild (the prop bus)

We ate lunch there and had a good time.

We then headed to the park.

You can go 11 miles into the park. If you want to go all the way in then you need to buy a tour bus pass ($100+) or a shuttle, which is cheaper. We decided against buying a bus ticket and just going the 11 miles in.

It was cloudy and we didnt see anything in the 11 miles. We head back to the visitors center and watch the video they have. It sucks, nothing informational, just video camera stuff and a little bit of words and stuff. We leave the theater and they are announcing a sled dog tour that is free! We hop on the bus and go!

They had some that you can pet. They had some in cages. They were in cages because they supposedly like to eat rocks.

Natalie was drawn to the puppies.

I walk around and Natalie is still at the puppies. She even tried to poke them to wake them up.

They do a sled dog demonstration and all the dogs in the kennel love it.

Once the presentation is over, Natalie sees that the puppies are awake and runs over to them.

She pushed little kids aside and ruins everyones pictures so she can pet them.

We head back to the bike and head south towards Anchorage so we can find a campsite. We find a free campsite that has another motorcyclist.

He has a goldwing with a popup trailer, and a dog on the passenger seat.

The inside of the trailer, super comfy.

We go to the nearby river and see a salmon in the river! We get a machete from the goldwing guy and go back, but the fish is gone.

Miles: 200
Old 08-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #70
BRUTSQD
2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer: 285
F Yeah!

Now that's how you ride report! Incredible job and way to hook us in with a story of perseverance! Also love the subtile easter eggs, the great white, the jiffy pop.. Good luck you two, be safe, subscribed.
-T
BRUTSQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #71
NHKTM990
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggusbikus View Post
I rocked a DR650 100 on the interstate two month ago chasing a buddy on a GTL 6 cylinder! Thats how we roll in the "YOU-ESS-OF-AHHHHH"
NHKTM990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #72
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 14
We head south to Anchorage.

We didnt have a plan on what to do.

We went to Alaskan Leather

I pick up a butt pad from the bargain bin. It helps sooooooooooo much!

Natalie needs to register for school in 2 days and we need to be in a place that has a computer and internet. We regroup at the harley dealership and decide to go to seward then homer and register for classes at homer.

We head out on the Kenai Peninsula. We decide to go down to Whittier.

We are driving down the road and run into a glacier.

Natalie liked the ice cube in the water.

We keep going down the road and hit toll road. I talk to the toll operator and find out it is a one way road that goes straight through the mountain and is scary as hell for a motorcycle. We are in. Cost 10 bucks or something.

Motorcycles go at a certain time.

Have to go between the railroad track, there are jet turbines blowing wind at you, and it is wet.

We get into town and follow another motorcycle down a dirt road.

So we go into town and look for a bar with a view. We go into one bar and they have a 5th floor deck. They wont allow us on the deck, so we go to another bar in town and this one is dark when I walk in. I see another room with a view and they wont allow us to go in there. So we head back to the tunnel a bit pissed off.

We head back and go up to seward. We hit some rain and run into a bar the next corner. We head into the bar, gets some drinks and order some appetizers. We get talking to a german guy and talk to him for an hour. He picks up our tab!

A couple miles after leaving the bar we turn off down a powerline road and set up camp.

Miles: 270
Old 08-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #73
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post
Oh and an honest question. Why is BC so much higher is gas prices? I thought all of Canada what expensive but Alberta had reasonable prices.

well, Alberta produces it .... we consume it ... easy eh ?
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:49 AM   #74
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
1.47 a liter in BC ~ 5.50 a gallon
1.15 in Alberta ~ 4.25 a gallon.
Like California, BC has an additional environmental controls and taxes on fossil fuel consumption and related pollution. It also includes an additional harmonized sales tax. Alberta doesn't give a shit, they are about to burn up their future for the present gold.

Great report. Get to re-live some of my trip from last year. Looking forward to the rest of it.

Hint: Your gal is a trooper, do what ever you need to do to hold on to that. They are few and far between and there are few of us lucky enough to have such a partner.
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #75
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Misfortune

Quote:
She had to adjust something on her right side and tried to switch hands, she put her left hand on the throttle and tried to adjust her gear. She just slowly veered off and went into the dirt. She could have saved it if she accelerated because she went off the the inside of the turn but she was going fast and slowed down the throttle a bit instead of accelerating.
I see all of the misfortune on this adventure, the result of inexperience. I know, because I have 72 years of "experience"! Most of you will learn, eventually. Carry on.
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote