User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #2821
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,187
Hi,
Can this sort of a setup be done with the Tiger800XC to get a tubeless front 21"?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post22100821
Not concerned about duplicating the poster's 18" rear.

Does Rad or someone else need to make a hub that works or can you lace the Sun rim to the OEM hub?
Thanks

swimmer screwed with this post 08-14-2013 at 06:12 PM
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #2822
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,203
Thanks!!! You received my wheel this morning, replaced the rim, spokes and bearings and shipped it back to me this afternoon! Thanks again!!!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #2823
uaza
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Hi,
Can this sort of a setup be done with the Tiger800XC to get a tubeless front 21"?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post22100821
Not concerned about duplicating the poster's 18" rear.

Does Rad or someone else need to make a hub that works or can you lace the Sun rim to the OEM hub?
Thanks
I'm also interested in a tubeless 21" front and 17" rear for the tiger 800xc
uaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #2824
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,319
Tiger 800XC Tubeless wheel's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaza View Post
I'm also interested in a tubeless 21" front and 17" rear for the tiger 800xc

We can lace a Sun 21 x 2.15 aluminum rim with stainless spokes/nipples to your stock hub. It would be 618 for a new black rim, stainless steel spokes/nipples, Superlace/true and seal it for tubeless tire's.

The only issue with the 21 x 2.15 Sun rim, is it's a weaker 6000 series aluminum than the Excel rim, and the wider width is easier to bend off-road.

We can seal the oem rear wheel, it's best to put the stronger stainless steel spokes/nipples before we seal them to have the longest life possible from the seal, because if you turn the nipple it will break the seal.

It would be 338 for the Heavy-Duty stainless steel spokes/nipples, lace/true and Seal for tubeless tire's.

Thanks Zach
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #2825
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
We can lace a Sun 21 x 2.15 aluminum rim with stainless spokes/nipples to your stock hub. It would be 618 for a new black rim, stainless steel spokes/nipples, Superlace/true and seal it for tubeless tire's.

The only issue with the 21 x 2.15 Sun rim, is it's a weaker 6000 series aluminum than the Excel rim, and the wider width is easier to bend off-road.

We can seal the oem rear wheel, it's best to put the stronger stainless steel spokes/nipples before we seal them to have the longest life possible from the seal, because if you turn the nipple it will break the seal.

It would be 338 for the Heavy-Duty stainless steel spokes/nipples, lace/true and Seal for tubeless tire's.

Thanks Zach
Thanks for the reply.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #2826
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,939
Woody -- Been toying with my wheel needs for a year now, and after an 8800 mile trip from VT to OR and back I'll probably be sticking with the OEM spoked rims on my 2010 GSA sidecar rig. But I'm worried that the inability to lean coupled with my spirited style on twisties is putting a lot of lateral stress on the spokes; I had a couple go THUNK instead of the normal TINK sound after coming down Beartooth Pass.

So my question: does your cross-laced pattern add lateral stability to a wheel or is it more designed for longitudinal stressors? I'm thinking of going cross-laced with beefier spokes on all three wheels but only if you think it would help.

Pete
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #2827
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Beefier ss steel spokes AND ss nipples for added strength...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
Woody -- Been toying with my wheel needs for a year now, and after an 8800 mile trip from VT to OR and back I'll probably be sticking with the OEM spoked rims on my 2010 GSA sidecar rig. But I'm worried that the inability to lean coupled with my spirited style on twisties is putting a lot of lateral stress on the spokes; I had a couple go THUNK instead of the normal TINK sound after coming down Beartooth Pass.

So my question: does your cross-laced pattern add lateral stability to a wheel or is it more designed for longitudinal stressors? I'm thinking of going cross-laced with beefier spokes on all three wheels but only if you think it would help.

Pete
Well ya asked the right folks,,,YES to all your questions plus warranty...,,you r X-laced wheels IMHO are dang strong inALL directions,,our beefier spokes and lacing techniques will enhance the strength and durability,,,
We efssentially Blue print your wheels.

Thanks for your inquiry

Woody
Old 08-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #2828
BigDave75
Will Work for Food!

Oddometer: 1,734
Woody:

My front superlace rim you built for my 2012 R1200 GSA has started leaking. It leaks with both the stock Tourance and the Heidenau front tire.

I called your shop and they said to send in the wheel with the tire for repair. I have put 2000 miles on road only before this started.

I need the bike for the next two months for transportation, what's the best solution until I can send it in for repair???

Should I just put a tube in?

Thanks,

Dave
Old 08-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #2829
Conbrio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
reply for 8-9-2013 Conbrio tire losing pressure problem

Woody,
Thanks so much for the reply. I wasn't able to get back to working on the bike until yesterday is the reason for my slow reply regarding my 8-9-2013 posting re tire losing pressure problem.

First off let's figure out where the tire is leaking,,,,i assume the tire is mounted /seated on the bead,,that it actually pumps up and then gradually loses air.

That is the situation- overnight it loses air.

2,, weepage around the sealing area caused by your tire getting deformed and /or hardened while experiencing severe cold in the barn Rx = get a new tire.

This appears to be the issue, poor sealing around the bead. Little bubbles at the sealing area. The bike hasn't experienced what I would call extreme cold, as it is in the garage attached to the house, and the temps rarely get below @ 30 deg F. Aside from the leaking, the tire appears to be in good shape, no cracking, deforming. It's an Avon Distanzia, 110/80 R19 59H.

Thanks,
Conbrio
Conbrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #2830
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Leaking tubeless tire,,,Rx?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave75 View Post
Woody:

My front superlace rim you built for my 2012 R1200 GSA has started leaking. It leaks with both the stock Tourance and the Heidenau front tire.

I called your shop and they said to send in the wheel with the tire for repair. I have put 2000 miles on road only before this started.

I need the bike for the next two months for transportation, what's the best solution until I can send it in for repair???

Should I just put a tube in?

Thanks,

Dave
The quick n dirty/ simplest solution is to :

1,,first let's do a simple quick check to find out just where it is leaking,,,just lift bike on center stand,, air up tbhe tire circa 40 psi then with some soapy water/ windex apply to rim-tire interface,,,,the area around valve stem,,,,,around each nipple especially the nipple-spoke interface as well as the nipple -rim interface,,,,MARK the leaking spots

2,,, holler with your results and I'll recommend solution

3,,,the simpler no brainer Rx is to t OSS in a tube,,,,,till we sort it out
Holler n y
Thanks
Woody
Old 08-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #2831
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Rx for rim bead area lraking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conbrio View Post
Woody,
Thanks so much for the reply. I wasn't able to get back to working on the bike until yesterday is the reason for my slow reply regarding my 8-9-2013 posting re tire losing pressure problem.

First off let's figure out where the tire is leaking,,,,i assume the tire is mounted /seated on the bead,,that it actually pumps up and then gradually loses air.

That is the situation- overnight it loses air.

2,, weepage around the sealing area caused by your tire getting deformed and /or hardened while experiencing severe cold in the barn Rx = get a new tire.

This appears to be the issue, poor sealing around the bead. Little bubbles at the sealing area. The bike hasn't experienced what I would call extreme cold, as it is in the garage attached to the house, and the temps rarely get below @ 30 deg F. Aside from the leaking, the tire appears to be in good shape, no cracking, deforming. It's an Avon Distanzia, 110/80 R19 59H.

Thanks,
Conbrio
OK Combrio,,,,here goes,,,,

1,,,mark the valve stem and areas where the air is oozing out,,this will help ya out in the next step

2,,dismount the tire,,,,

3,,,see if ya finda correlation between the area of leakage and things like corrosion in the bead,,,,rubber nissing in th bead sealing area,,,dirt getting under/between tire and bead,,,or even a deformed bead area from errant tire iron application

4,,clean all that stuff up with scotch brite//fine sandpaper or similar

5,,we have a rubbereized bead sealer gotten at local tire supply store...ya paint it on the rim bead and also on the tire bead surface....that will usually take care of the problem

6,,in emergencies i've used a thin coating of GOOP [any version],,,,silicone,,,latex caulking when on the road,,they all work

woody
ps holler if this worked for you
Old 08-22-2013, 03:27 AM   #2832
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

1150 GSA relace n true,,,,$$$,,,???

''Hey Woody. I have a set of blue BMW spoked wheels for my '04 1150 adventure that need to be disassembled, laced and trued. What is your normal turn around time for that? I may ship them one at a time just to spread the cost over time. I will also have a second set that likely need to have the same work done, but that can wait a few months, again to spread the cost out.''

typical question,,,

simply put it depends upon:

1,,, how much we have to disassemble and the corrosion factor ,,mainly where the spoke goes thru the rim,,,,it's awell documented fact that ya can spend a half a day hammering/lubricating/heating/pushing pulling and twisting /even drilling the spokes out of the rim...that cost runs from $30=easy to $150 very difficult

2,,,re-lace n true = $150

3,,,turn around same day to several days or an extra week if we re-anodize your rims.

4,,,cost effective wise,,,NOW is the time to do any upgrades,because of the circa $200 y a have to spend anytime ya disassemble them,,,
minimally you'll spend $150 lace n true + $30 to yank all the grub screws and nipples out,,clean n lube all the threads in nipple and on each spoke..they have to be immaculate for proper torque readings.

OPTIONS

1,,replace steel/rusty nipples with new trick longer SS ones adds circa $100 /wheel
2,,,strip/reanodize your blue[or usually whatever shade they have dis-colored to] rims $75 ea [satin black looks real good
3,,,upgrade to beefier SSS spokes and nipples $250/kit /ea
4,,,polish spokes n nipples $60 ea
5,,,redo the hubs $200-260/pr
6,,,bearing service /replace $40-80 depending [ie parts n labor]

holler n thanks for the inquiry...

woody

PS,,once again,,,folks please post your questions here so everyone can share the info....

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 06:28 AM
Old 08-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #2833
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Thanks Woody! They are on their way.
Ravenslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #2834
BigDave75
Will Work for Food!

Oddometer: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
The quick n dirty/ simplest solution is to :

1,,first let's do a simple quick check to find out just where it is leaking,,,just lift bike on center stand,, air up tbhe tire circa 40 psi then with some soapy water/ windex apply to rim-tire interface,,,,the area around valve stem,,,,,around each nipple especially the nipple-spoke interface as well as the nipple -rim interface,,,,MARK the leaking spots

2,,, holler with your results and I'll recommend solution

3,,,the simpler no brainer Rx is to t OSS in a tube,,,,,till we sort it out
Holler n y
Thanks
Woody

Leak was at the spoke next to the air valve. Took the tire off and the sealant wrap and tape had also come off and was balled up in the tire. The "caulking" on that spoke was in fact cracked and that's why it was leaking.

Put a tube in until end of next month when I can send you the rim for repair.

Dave
Old 08-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #2835
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

misc tubeless tire sealing observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave75 View Post
Leak was at the spoke next to the air valve. Took the tire off and the sealant wrap and tape had also come off and was balled up in the tire. The "caulking" on that spoke was in fact cracked and that's why it was leaking.

Put a tube in until end of next month when I can send you the rim for repair.

Dave
hi Dave,,,,when i see the wheel,,,i'll know what era that wheel was done in,,,and by whom it was done by.

FYI,,i have done several hundred of these over the years,,,,with many versions of sealants and protecting tapes....the protecting tape was meant to provide an extra measure of protection against errant tire irons,,,i've learned that even when we use our touchless tire mounting machinery,,,great care and much lube needs to be used when mounting and dismounting,,otherwise the machine will just squeeze the tape and separate it leading it to eventually ball up due to wheel rotation forces....it just looks ugly,,,,OBTW i recently noticed the correlation between a few wheels with messed up packing tape,,if the tape was applied in the same direction as tire
rotation it stayed in place,,,,if the end of tape got dislodged it would start flinging out and unwind itsrlf into a little ball

once again great care,cleanliness and patience in performing the sealing technique are paramount to ensure long term success. When performed that way success is enhanced.

Amazingly ,i get wheels in here for tire changes that were done 25 years ago with circa 100,000+/- miles on em,,,as the testimonials constantly appear in these posts.

woody