Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
CafeRacer99 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Balancing road trips

I thought about putting this in "Trip planning" but I think this is more a philosophical question.

I just got back from a 7 day trip, covering 2400 miles. 3 days were in Yellowstone, puttering around at near walking speed. (Never again, BTW. Unbearable traffic.) This was a meet-up with my son coming from Denver and my dad coming from Minnesota. So I had to get there on a certain day, and with only so much time off work... you know.

I love to ride but a lot of this trip was spent just getting to where I wanted to ride. I'm discovering that I hate riding to a deadline. It feels like work. Droning along on the highway, having to make today's mileage. Even the two-lane blacktops off the interstate feel like work when you're hauling ass through.

That said, I wonder if I would ever get anywhere if I didn't set goals for myself?

Overall, this trip was worth it, to ride with my dad and son, but I can't see doing this type of trip again. I think I'd rather put the bike in the truck and drive there. Of course I hate even thinking that way...

And again, I think if I just set off for a week with no goals or destination in mind, I wouldn't get anywhere. But is that a bad thing? How do you plan a trip with no destination?

I'm also thinking future trips should plan for daily mileage under 300 a day, to give me time to stop and relax and get to my destination in time for sightseeing.

I don't know where my head is at on these longer trips.

I'd like to hear some of you folk's thoughts on longer trips, trailering, daily mileage, destination vs wandering, balancing riding with sightseeing, etc...