Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #76
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 826
On the move!!

BAD FUEL!!!!!

Ran out of gas, filled from can, wouldn't start....Probably sucked up some water, Charlies Towing got me going!

cranked it a bunch, sprayed some ether in the filter, got her going! He gave me a bottle of something similar to methyl hydrate to get rid of the water.....$140 and I'm rolling again!!

Having a burger in Dease Lake, then I'm outta here!!
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #77
Boots...No Bike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
All is good.

I just got a phone call from Dease Lake & something from an operator about trouble with long distance calls from pay phones.. So I phoned Chuck and they got the bike into town. "I fixed him up and he's on his way down the road. He didn't phone you, eh?" Apparently he tried.

just a minute, incoming email :
"Charlie in dease lake got me going! looks like bad fuel, probably sucked up some water into the carb...he gave me a bottle of methyl hydrate, should be good to go."
Boots...No Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #78
Motopsychoman
Not a total poser

Oddometer: 326
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
BAD FUEL!!!!!

Ran out of gas, filled from can, wouldn't start....Probably sucked up some water, Charlies Towing got me going!

cranked it a bunch, sprayed some ether in the filter, got her going! He gave me a bottle of something similar to methyl hydrate to get rid of the water.....$140 and I'm rolling again!!

Having a burger in Dease Lake, then I'm outta here!!

Glad it wasn't more serious. Maybe buy some gas drier (methanol) when you hit a town (Stewart or somewhere with a gas station). Keep a bottle with you until you get home then drain the tank.

Current Rides: '13 Sertao, '98 Bandit 1200, Being restored: '86 R80G/S PD
Past: '66 Suzuki T10, '72 CL350, '74 GT550, '80 GS750, '7? XT500, '83 RM250, '85 XT500
Motopsychoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:37 AM   #79
Boots...No Bike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
All is Good, Safe for the night

SPOT report from Tropic-of-Canada:

Latitude:55.08186
Longitude:-127.34822
GPS location Date/Time:08/15/2013 23:39:33 PDT

Looks like with a good start in the morning he should be arriving in Prince George in the early afternoon.

Back on the grid... maybe he'll upload a couple of photos!
Boots...No Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #80
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsychoman View Post
Glad it wasn't more serious. Maybe buy some gas drier (methanol) when you hit a town (Stewart or somewhere with a gas station). Keep a bottle with you until you get home then drain the tank.
The mechanic gave me some gas line antifreeze and said add a tablespoon or so per tank, then drain, like you say. No problems so far....

At one point I did get some gas that was a bit on the green side, and it didn't smell all that well......gassy....more of a sweet solvent smell, but not diesel like.... I double checked the pump and it definitely said gas, and it seemed to burn just fine. That was before I even hit the dempster, so I feel very lucky indeed!

I knew I had spark, had air, but no fuel was reaching the cylinder....A whole bunch of cranking and a shot of ether spray to the air cleaner was all it took. and of course money, but at least I got a good lesson on carb diagnostics, and what to do if I'm not getting fuel flow...So is a can of ether to go on the equipment list?? Dangerous stuff!!
Old 08-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #81
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Photos coming soon!

Photos coming, I still have about 800 kms till I'm home. Once there and rested, I will start going through them and posting!

Today was my first chance to look at them on a real computer, they're looking real good!

Except for that damn spot on the lens.....
Old 08-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #82
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Day 4 : Prince George to Meziadin Junction.

The night before, I spent 1/2 hr banging out some brackets for my cheezy windshield. I used what I had at hand, and amazingly it lasted the trip!

First stop was in Fort Fraser, to try and find my Great Grandfather's grave.

Didn't take too long to find him! It's a pretty amazing experience to find a grave of someone in your family that you never met before.

It's a beautiful spot too.

I don't see many of these where I live!

I found a shortcut around Houston, Summit Lake Rd. The lake is more of a swamp, but it takes 20 kms off the trip, and is a good escape from pavement.

From the east, stay right at the first fork then left at the first intersection, follow for 15-20 kms, and it spits you out here. Take the right fork.

Too bad it was gated across the overpass! Beautiful country.

I was real glad for that windshield, there was a lot of this!!

To get to cool places like this!!

Camp on Surprise Creek, on the way to Stewart. The days are already getting longer as I head north! This is about 11:00.

And some very faint northern lights. Oh well, it's a good sign!

IMG_0958
Old 08-20-2013, 05:31 AM   #83
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,625
Nice one!

Congrats on completing your first epic

Different kind of riding than a usual weekend out eh?

Love the pics, looking forward to more stories and photos

See you in a few weeks

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #84
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

It's amazing how much you start looking forward to seeing power poles on the long straights!!! Absolutely hypnotic roads for an Islander!
Old 08-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #85
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

I forgot to mention, when I started seeing northern lights, I had the bug net open on my tent. While I was watching the sky, I started falling asleep, and a rat almost made it's way into my tent! Last year sleeping under the stars, it was a fox or something that gave me a nose bump by Harrison Lake! I'm not sure about this sleeping under the stars thing!
Old 08-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #86
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Day 5: Stewart/Hyder

Some nice sights to wake up to while I make coffee and porridge. Coffee was an awesome idea to bring along! Makes breaking camp far easier. I'm going to roll down to Stewart, and see if I can get into the states and back.

IMG_0973

IMG_0976

This is the first big load I see. It came from a cargo ship in Hyder, and was on its way to Bob Quinn work camp: a 9 hour trip for them... I wonder what it was? I might as well take my time coming back!!

IMG_0980

IMG_0981

IMG_0982

Into the fog belt. It's a nice effect!

IMG_0984

IMG_0992

IMG_0994

IMG_0996

A nice wagon with a thin coating of dust in Stewart. I stop for a 2nd breakfast before questioning the border guard about re-entry.

IMG_1009

IMG_1016
Old 08-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #87
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Hyder and the Salmon Glacier

I pulled up to the CBSA and asked about re-entry without a Canadian Passport, and he said with photo ID I would be fine, though they might run my name upon re-entry. No record, no problem! Into Hyder I go, and up the Mountain!

Perfect weather for it! This is my first sighting of the Salmon Glacier!

IMG_1020

This is just 10X zoom on my G7. I can't guess how deep these crevasses must be!

IMG_1033

IMG_1035

One feels very small up here!

IMG_1043

Looking straight down!

IMG_1044

IMG_1041

IMG_1051

IMG_1053

IMG_1078

IMG_1067

It's an amazing place, I could have spent a lot more time here! It's almost 1:00, time to get rolling!

IMG_1074
Old 08-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #88
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
I'm gonna buy one when I grow up!
I have one. Mine is a 1970 Kaiser multi-fuel D Turbo. They are a freaking blast...

Old 08-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #89
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

What kind of mileage do you get?
Old 08-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #90
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

On the way back through Hyder, there were construction flaggers at the main intersection. The one was gesturing for me to go left...I signaled that I wanted to go straight. I see a pier in the distance! The flagger asked if I was wanting to go to the Hotel.. No, I was just wanting to see what there was to see. "Oh, do you want to ride to the end of the pier?" "Sure!!" I said. "Ok, I'll radio down and let them know you're coming!"

I had a good long chat with the flagger at the end. She has lived in Hyder for 20 some odd years, and told me a few stories of wolves and grizzly bears.

She told me how windy it can get out here, and how hard it gets hard to hold up the stop sign on a blustery day. One time she says she wasn't braced, and the wind smacked her sign pole into right her forehead! "I decided to use hand signals for the rest of the day!" she said.

When I came into town, there was a large cargo ship, which had since left, apparently for China. It was full of gold ore. I had been seeing some pretty massive trucks on the way in.

She told me how one time there was a rare lightning storm when she was working out here, that sparked a blaze on this slope. She says she saw a ball of flame explode, and then smoke soon after. It burned for 2 weeks.

Apparently these piles in the distance are where the original town of Hyder sat. There was a massive fire at some point that wiped out the original town. It was real nice chatting with someone who had lived there for so long. You learn a lot!