ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
alvincullumyork OP
I wish I was cool
 
alvincullumyork's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: South Atlanta
Oddometer: 1,031
Protocol for getting pulled over

I have yet to be pulled over on my bike but it's going to happen probably sooner rather than later. What do is the best way to handle the situation? In the car I pull over, roll down the windows, put on the flashers, take the keys out of the ignition and leave my hands on the steering wheel.

On a bike do you take your helmet off? Keys out? What's your routine?
__________________
How to ride your XR650L to South America: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...2#post19932112
If you're in my area on a ride and need a place to crash, a hot meal, or some beer let me know. 913 260 7873
On a one man mission to stop people from buying boring bikes (cough cough klr)
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
32x20
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Charleston, SC
Oddometer: 254


I've never been pulled on the bike, either (yet?), but I figure kill it, helmet and gloves off and wait...
32x20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
Celtic Curmudgeon
Indiana Jones wanabe
 
Celtic Curmudgeon's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Boca Raton
Oddometer: 274
Taking your helmet off is a good move especially if you have gray hair. Stay on the bike with the kickstand up until instructed otherwise. You don't have to grovel, but OTOH, being a dick isn't a great idea. More good info here...

http://voices.yahoo.com/a-cops-guide...99.html?cat=27
__________________
Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. - Jeremy Clarkson
Celtic Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
slackjaw
Studly Adventurer
 
slackjaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Roxboro NC USA
Oddometer: 609
Just sit there quietly. Bike in gear, one hand on the clutch, one hand on the throttle, and a big shit eatin' grinn on your face, 'cause the day is about to get interesting.
__________________
Oh snap out of it. There's always been horrible stuff and there's always been wonderful stuff.
-Klay

OK fess up, slackjaw is someone's fake noob.

Robbie O issat you?
-GP640
slackjaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
kbasa
Colnago!
 
kbasa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Marin County, California
Oddometer: 65,906
I take my helmet off, gloves off and put my hands on the saddlebags so he can see them as he walks up. If Tina's with me, I have her put her hands on my shoulders so he can see them. Stay on the bike until instructed to get off, motor off, sidestand down, feet on the ground.

If I have to reach in my pocket for my license, I tell him that I"m going to reach in my pocket for my license and tell him which pocket it's in. If I need to produce my registration, I say "It's in the glove compartment over here (pointing), so I'm going to get it out"

I want him to feel safe, which gets things off to a far better start.

When they ask me how I'm doing, I always reply with a laugh, "I was doing a whole lot better a few minutes ago."
__________________
IMHO.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
k5mitch
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Grafton, VA
Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincullumyork View Post
I have yet to be pulled over on my bike but it's going to happen probably sooner rather than later.

Don't ask me no questions and I won't tell you no lies


(don't do things that would get one pulled over, then you don't have to worry about it)
k5mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer
 
Motomedic's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Spokane
Oddometer: 2,418
Some Officers will want you off the bike, other will ask you to stay on, some will want you to remove your helmet, others not. I use a trick I heard about a while back. I usually remove my helmet, and as he's walking up to me (I make it a point to wait for this moment) I bend down and place the helmet on the ground near my back tire. Without being obvious, this places me in a subservient position. I don't know if the psychology works but I feel it does.


Universal rules: DO NOT ADMIT TO ANYTHING. If asked "How fast were you going?" I usually reply "that depends on where you clocked me" or something else similarly non-committal.

Attitude goes a long way. The comment about "doing better a few minutes ago" with a laugh is a good start. Remember, most of 'em are just doing their job.

Telling the officer where stuff is before reaching for it is good. After all, they're nervous too. Many officers have been hurt/killed during routine traffic stops.

And no, you cannot search my vehicle. Period. 4th amendment and all that. Get a warrant. I never carry anything I need to worry about, but that doesn't change the law.
__________________
Feike

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Curmudgeon View Post
Taking your helmet off is a good move especially if you have gray hair. Stay on the bike with the kickstand up until instructed otherwise. You don't have to grovel, but OTOH, being a dick isn't a great idea. More good info here...

http://voices.yahoo.com/a-cops-guide...99.html?cat=27
Good advice!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #9
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,521
It's just a power trip and safety issue for the officer.

Don't admit to speeding, but say sorry & I was having fun and hang your head down like you screwed up. You got caught so you did. Show respect and you'll get it back. He/she is in the drivers seat.

Helmet off, paperwork out, hands in sight. Cops don't want to get shot.

1st ease the officer's mind you are not a criminal with intent.
2nd play the psychology that they are in charge.
3rd accept what comes from that.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 08:18 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,521
I would say bending down to put your helmet is not a good idea.
It's all about where your hands are and where a potential weapon could be.
You doing this could be a move to pull a weapon out. Your hands and eyes disappear to the officer and that is their biggest fear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
Some Officers will want you off the bike, other will ask you to stay on, some will want you to remove your helmet, others not. I use a trick I heard about a while back. I usually remove my helmet, and as he's walking up to me (I make it a point to wait for this moment) I bend down and place the helmet on the ground near my back tire. Without being obvious, this places me in a subservient position. I don't know if the psychology works but I feel it does.


Universal rules: DO NOT ADMIT TO ANYTHING. If asked "How fast were you going?" I usually reply "that depends on where you clocked me" or something else similarly non-committal.

Attitude goes a long way. The comment about "doing better a few minutes ago" with a laugh is a good start. Remember, most of 'em are just doing their job.

Telling the officer where stuff is before reaching for it is good. After all, they're nervous too. Many officers have been hurt/killed during routine traffic stops.

And no, you cannot search my vehicle. Period. 4th amendment and all that. Get a warrant. I never carry anything I need to worry about, but that doesn't change the law.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer
 
Motomedic's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Spokane
Oddometer: 2,418
I'm not sure you understand what I said.

How are my hands not visible? He's walking toward me, my hands are both full of helmet (as I'm holding said helmet with a hand on either side). I bend down and place the helmet on the ground. I then stand back up, with my hands empty.

And, I quote you: "play the psychology that they are in charge". What the fuck do you think bowing down in front of someone does?
__________________
Feike

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer
 
ThumperStorm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: St. Cloud, Minnesota
Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
I'm not sure you understand what I said.

How are my hands not visible? He's walking toward me, my hands are both full of helmet (as I'm holding said helmet with a hand on either side). I bend down and place the helmet on the ground. I then stand back up, with my hands empty.

And, I quote you: "play the psychology that they are in charge". What the fuck do you think bowing down in front of someone does?
Do you get off the bike? You must if you are able to put your helmet on the ground with Both hands. (ankle holsters anyone?)

I think it is best to just sit there with the motorcycle shut off until they walk up to you. Then they will let you know about taking off your helmet, or getting off the bike, or whatever else.

They are suspicious and are watching what you do. By not doing anything without them telling you first, well what better way to show that they are in charge?

I have been pulled over before and it works for me. YMMV
__________________
"Maybe you ain't in a rut, maybe you're in a ditch, way over your head." Don Marshall
ThumperStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #13
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer
 
ThumperStorm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: St. Cloud, Minnesota
Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by k5mitch View Post
Don't ask me no questions and I won't tell you no lies


(don't do things that would get one pulled over, then you don't have to worry about it)
It must be so nice to live in your perfect world!

You forget about the profiling all us bada$$ bikers suffer.
__________________
"Maybe you ain't in a rut, maybe you're in a ditch, way over your head." Don Marshall
ThumperStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #14
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer
 
VEGASGSA's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: The Northwet..
Oddometer: 6,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Curmudgeon View Post
Taking your helmet off is a good move especially if you have gray hair. Stay on the bike with the kickstand up until instructed otherwise. You don't have to grovel, but OTOH, being a dick isn't a great idea. More good info here...

http://voices.yahoo.com/a-cops-guide...99.html?cat=27
I have yet to get a ticket on the bike...one of those stops, was for twice the legal limit...in a 55...when I pulled my helmet off as the cop was screaming at me..he kinda calmed down, then started laughing...told us where the next speed zone was and left..

Gray hair works..
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You are not half as ugly as I thought you would be!
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #15
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer
 
VEGASGSA's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: The Northwet..
Oddometer: 6,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
When they ask me how I'm doing, I always reply with a laugh, "I was doing a whole lot better a few minutes ago."
"Well, that all depends on the next 5 minutes"

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You are not half as ugly as I thought you would be!
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014