Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #17851
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
I removed the push cable about 3 or 4 years ago and it's been great *knock on wood*

I too had a hanging idle issue and it didn't help a ton (maybe a little, but I think it was a kinked pull cable mostly). It's snappy as heck though. I kept it on my 600 though because it has no issues.
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #17852
zoro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfslap View Post
I removed the push cable about 3 or 4 years ago and it's been great *knock on wood*

I too had a hanging idle issue and it didn't help a ton (maybe a little, but I think it was a kinked pull cable mostly). It's snappy as heck though. I kept it on my 600 though because it has no issues.
I'm thinking my pull cable might also have issues, would anyone know where to get extended cables for this bike?
I have 1" risers on the bars.
Looking at replacing both cables.
zoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #17853
WunderfulLusterful
Banned

Oddometer: 24
If your throttle is hanging up, you need to fix the issue, not just remove things until it works! Lube the cables and make sure the throttle tube is not sticking on the bars or inside the housing. Remove the return cable and see if that helps relieve the issue. Good place to start trouble shooting but I would not remove it all together, not make if "a racer you know removes his so I am going to do the same" That is idiot logic. I know it was not you that said it, I am just bringing it back up. Good luck with the throttle issue!

EDIT!!!!

Sorry, I didnt see they part where you said it worked better with one cable. How does the return cable feel when you run it back and forth by hand? It should be smooth as butter with no hard spots.

WunderfulLusterful screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 08:50 PM
WunderfulLusterful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #17854
zoro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by WunderfulLusterful View Post
If your throttle is hanging up, you need to fix the issue, not just remove things until it works! Lube the cables and make sure the throttle tube is not sticking on the bars or inside the housing. Remove the return cable and see if that helps relieve the issue. Good place to start trouble shooting but I would not remove it all together, not make if "a racer you know removes his so I am going to do the same" That is idiot logic. I know it was not you that said it, I am just bringing it back up. Good luck with the throttle issue!

EDIT!!!!

Sorry, I didnt see they part where you said it worked better with one cable. How does the return cable feel when you run it back and forth by hand? It should be smooth as butter with no hard spots.

I think they both need replacing, due to the feel of them.
I did lubricate both cables when the carb was removed, I have a cable lubricator however the only lubricant I had on hand at the time was Silicon Lube, they felt much better afterwards but I still feel they need replacing.
Just looking at the external tube of the cable, it looks as though its "had its day"..
They are both 8 years old and still in one piece, once replaced they will both make adequate spares.

Any idea as to where to get extended cables to suit XR650R?

I have not had a good search for them yet, best I can find are standard length cables..
zoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:37 AM   #17855
bigtrailie
Rough idle

Oddometer: 640
Extended cables

Motion Pro. They will set you up. It may take a couple of weeks, but these guys were very good to work with. I added Rox risers on top of 1" block spacers. They made me some +3" custom cables. Plenty of length to spare...just in case I decide to add some ape hangers some day.

'04 KTM 950 ADVENTURE (black) - '05 Honda XR650R (plated) - '97 Honda XR600R (plated) - '99 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (joy rides with my wife and kids)
bigtrailie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #17856
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
Convention, standard nomenclature? Probably because during 'normal' throttle operation the second cable doesn't do anything but get pushed around.....
No, it gets pulled by the carb linkage as the throttle opens and it gets pulled back by the grip as it closes. There are push/pull cables, like the Bowden cable shifters, but these are pure pull. Other wise you would need two of them!

SVN/XRR/XC-W
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #17857
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
No, it gets pulled by the carb linkage as the throttle opens and it gets pulled back by the grip as it closes. There are push/pull cables, like the Bowden cable shifters, but these are pure pull. Other wise you would need two of them!
My cables are adjusted so that there is a little slack in the cables. That helps prevent binding and herky-jerky throttle response (especially on my 950). Twisting the throttle open reduces the slack to zero in the 'pull' cable, increasing it on the 'push' cable. Therefore the throttle tube is pushing the 'push' cable before the carburetor linkage is pulling it. During throttle closure, the spring on the carburetor still keeps the tension on the 'pull' cable, so there is still excess slack in the 'push' cable, thereby the carburetor linkage pushes the cable back to the throttle tube. If something hangs up on the 'pull' cable or carburetor, that's when the 'push' cable becomes a pull cable when closing the throttle.

So mine ARE push/pull. But I'm not the only one calling them this.

YMMV.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #17858
tijuana
Farkling Around

Oddometer: 204
Wristpins...

Anyone know if a Weisco wristpin fits on a Pro X rod? I know Weisco and Pro X are sister companies... If not I'll just buy a Pro X piston kit. Where is the best price for a Pro X piston kit?

thanks

Was just told inner and outter diameter of wristpin and rod should be same regrdless od brand and match OEM specs, is that true?

tijuana screwed with this post 08-16-2013 at 10:31 PM
tijuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:12 AM   #17859
poppy
Slow and Steady

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijuana View Post
Anyone know if a Weisco wristpin fits on a Pro X rod? I know Weisco and Pro X are sister companies... If not I'll just buy a Pro X piston kit. Where is the best price for a Pro X piston kit?

thanks

Was just told inner and outter diameter of wristpin and rod should be same regrdless od brand and match OEM specs, is that true?

G'day Tijuana, I have the Wiseco Piston/Pro X Rod combo, no issue so far.
poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:27 AM   #17860
ODSC1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rut Runner View Post
I'm considering upgrading to an Acerbis 6.3 from a Clarke 4.3. Will there be any mounting issues if I'm using Unabiker Rad guards? Is it still possible to change the spark plug with the tank on? How hard is it to remove the tank when you're on the trail?

thanks for any info,
Mike
Rad guards should fit fine. Tank has to come off to get to the plug and as mentioned it can be a pain to get back on without the right tools.

There is a new Acerbis XRR tank on Kijiji TO right now.

Brian
ODSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:09 AM   #17861
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
You see Sean,
if you meant to make me jealous with that clip then I'm a afraid to say you succeeded. Not much wood there though by the looks of it, so better wait until you're home again
The colours looks like here, could have been here even but for those massive mole-humps - what are they, outcrops, granite intrusions/sills or what? And it was a surprise to see water on top of that dry sandy bit, quite amazing actually.
Ride safe and enjoy!
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #17862
Sean-0
straya carnt

Oddometer: 4,299
the mole humps ....you mean ayres rock and the ulga's `...the last parts are palm vally a place where only this 1 typ of palm in the world grows ....and the sand is the simpson desert the place where i crashed is known as Big Red a sand dune 1 of 1100 on the crossing .....it was a great ride and the pig did it well ..as did the lil 250 of my sons ....some place's here would look exactly the same as your place ...18 days was great
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:16 AM   #17863
Stonethrowa
Hack

Oddometer: 31
Help needed

Have put Trailtech vapour on the piggy , wired pulse meter into coil and it reads high like 9000+ at idle on program .5 8000+ 0n prog 1 and 5000+ on prog 2 any help would be appreciated
Stonethrowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #17864
honda20
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Anybody have any pics of Acerbis 6.3 sahara tank fuel line routing? Specifically with regular black hose and and a brass t connecter. Just need to know how long to cut the hoses. I bought 5/16 fuel line. Thanks for any help.
Searched and only found pic of the purple acerbis line and y connecter.
honda20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #17865
jm-2008
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonethrowa View Post
Have put Trailtech vapour on the piggy , wired pulse meter into coil and it reads high like 9000+ at idle on program .5 8000+ 0n prog 1 and 5000+ on prog 2 any help would be appreciated
Had similar issue with mine originally
Worked 100% wrapped around the plug lead
JM-2008
jm-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote