User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
EricMN OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Where to camp and ride Beartooth mountains

I'm hauling my Husky Te610 from Minnesota out west my first stop will be Red Lodge Montana for a few days and then to Jackson Wy. I found some campgrounds south of town along the Beartooth Hwy, Does anybody have any recommendations on where to set up camp and what trails to ride in that area .
EricMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:30 AM   #2
oldNbold
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I got nothing. But I was hoping someone did as the Beartooths sound interesting.
oldNbold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Cant help on the Beartooth area but when you get to Jackson, check out the area kind of north of the airport on the east side of the highway, we used to call it Antelope Flats and there is a mountain called Shadow mountain, on the east side of the valley, great campsites to set up for a couple of days with awesome views of the Teton's, plus there are lots of riding opportunities in the area.
You should see lots of animals heading into the Park from Red Lodge as that is the least visited area of Yellowstone....spent two summers up in the Jackson area back in the day, special place for sure!!

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
EricMN OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldNbold View Post
I got nothing. But I was hoping someone did as the Beartooths sound interesting.
I guess I should have asked this question earlier, I'm leaving on tomorrow will get there on Friday. I'm just going to wing it, I'll post some info when I get back.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
oldNbold
Adventurer

Maybe this will help. Enjoy your trip.
http://beartoothhighway.com/
Old 08-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
EKinOR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
At the bottom of Beartooth pass, on the Red Lodge side, take Lake Fork Rd. up the river about a mile. There are several spots to camp along the river.

EKinOR screwed with this post 08-14-2013 at 10:31 AM
EKinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
EricMN OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Cant help on the Beartooth area but when you get to Jackson, check out the area kind of north of the airport on the east side of the highway, we used to call it Antelope Flats and there is a mountain called Shadow mountain, on the east side of the valley, great campsites to set up for a couple of days with awesome views of the Teton's, plus there are lots of riding opportunities in the area.
You should see lots of animals heading into the Park from Red Lodge as that is the least visited area of Yellowstone....spent two summers up in the Jackson area back in the day, special place for sure!!
Thank You all for providing the info! These are places I will be checking out. I feel like I have more of a game plan now. I will post when I get back.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
oldNbold
Adventurer

Beartooth

Look forward to hearing about your trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMN View Post
Thank You all for providing the info! These are places I will be checking out. I feel like I have more of a game plan now. I will post when I get back.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #9
sideshowrob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Rode it last year and remember seeing a lot of the campgrounds along the beartooth didn't allow tents, just a heads up.....and have fun, awesome ride!
sideshowrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
EricMN OP
Adventurer

I know this is a little late but I did make it out to Red Lodge and the beartooth mountain area back at the end of August. The USFS office on the edge of town had plenty of trail maps and info for camping. I wound up camping for 4 nights off of the Lake fork road south town. I rode almost every trail and dirt road in the area. Some of the trails were really rocky but it was still fun.[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Even though there was a lot of smoke in the air at times, there was plenty of beautiful scenery. [IMG][/IMG]

The ride up and down the beartooth pass was so awesome I did it everyday I was there. [IMG][/IMG]

I also made it down to Jackson Wy, spent the first night in town, then camped north of town on shadow mountain. [IMG][/IMG]
I wish i could spent more time out here, there are a lot of forest roads and trails in this area.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
I could not believe how dry it was out here and they still Allowed campfires, the day after I left Red Lodge there was a large fire near the area I was camping and they closed down hwy 212.
Over all it was a great trip, met some nice people, the bike performed well and I wore out my new 606 rear tire. I'm definitely going to do something like this again next summer.[IMG][/IMG]

EricMN screwed with this post 11-14-2013 at 09:34 PM
Old 11-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #11
EricMN OP
Adventurer

I also found the Morrison jeep trail up on the beartooth plateau, I really wanted to ride it from top to bottom but wouldn't be a good idea to do solo, it was hard to do but I turned around before I got to the point of no return.[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]