User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #1786
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 745
Craftycoder,

I am getting ready to setup my new Galaxy S4. Got the Ram X-Grip mount and hope to try it out with DSM on my KLX450R!

Just thought I'd tell you that I cracked up last night looking at your DSM product in Google Play as one of the reviewer stated that you need to stop hanging out in Jomama and get back to programming!

Thanks for the excellent product.

Jon
Old 08-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #1787
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,173
I saw that, an inside joke for us inmates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromNC View Post
Craftycoder,

I am getting ready to setup my new Galaxy S4. Got the Ram X-Grip mount and hope to try it out with DSM on my KLX450R!

Just thought I'd tell you that I cracked up last night looking at your DSM product in Google Play as one of the reviewer stated that you need to stop hanging out in Jomama and get back to programming!

Thanks for the excellent product.

Jon
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #1788
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 745
CC,

Just few questions after playing around with DSM app on my Galaxy S4. I also looked on your DSM web site but haven't quite figured it out.

1) How do I download a track or GPX file from DSM web site to my phone using DSM app? It appears that on the web site, I can find a GPX file and download but only to my computer and not directly to my phone using DSM app.

2) I "long" press a spot on my map on the DSM app and then I can route to that selection from the menu. I understand that but it does not seem to navigate from my current location to the selection and I also keep getting some weird prompt about voice not being downloaded but yet there are no selections for me to download any voice. I understand that this App is not really meant for voice navigation and I don't really care about that but I do need navigation capability if I want to get to that selection while on the road or trail. Best way?

3) Lastly, How do I use My MAP from your DSM web site? Can I copy track or GPX file from the web site to My Map?

Thanks.

Jon
Old 08-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #1789
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

1. From the app, zoom the map to the area where you know a track you want to download is and click the Search (magnifying glass) button. Zoom in as close as is practical otherwise you will get too many results downloaded...

2. Long click on the map until the "lat long" pop up is displayed. Click on the pop up. Click "Route To" and you will get a route to that location on the map. I have the voice files available HERE. They will give you turn by turn instructions. The folder in the zip file needs to go into the /osmand folder that contains all the other app stuff.

3. Watch this to learn how to copy other people's maps into "My Maps" on the website. This makes it easy to bring them to your phone. It's pretty easy already once you know the trick of course.

Enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromNC View Post
CC,

Just few questions after playing around with DSM app on my Galaxy S4. I also looked on your DSM web site but haven't quite figured it out.

1) How do I download a track or GPX file from DSM web site to my phone using DSM app? It appears that on the web site, I can find a GPX file and download but only to my computer and not directly to my phone using DSM app.

2) I "long" press a spot on my map on the DSM app and then I can route to that selection from the menu. I understand that but it does not seem to navigate from my current location to the selection and I also keep getting some weird prompt about voice not being downloaded but yet there are no selections for me to download any voice. I understand that this App is not really meant for voice navigation and I don't really care about that but I do need navigation capability if I want to get to that selection while on the road or trail. Best way?

3) Lastly, How do I use My MAP from your DSM web site? Can I copy track or GPX file from the web site to My Map?

Thanks.

Jon

craftycoder screwed with this post 08-14-2013 at 09:17 AM
Old 08-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #1790
ColoST
Colo Single Track

Oddometer: 44
Congrats Crafty!

Congratulations to you both on the new baby girl!

Mapping this summer has been great. Tons of riding with no trouble tracking the line… Sent a few riders your way, hope they step up and see what a great product you have...

Here's hoping the fund raising is matching up with the server hits!

Best of luck, enjoy that little girl…

99KLX300/03BMWF650GS/COHVCO/AMA

http://ColoradoSingleTrack.com
ColoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:18 AM   #1791
Fling
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Crafty,

Got your app and went through this entire thread. Thanks for all the hard work you have put into this and I have subscribed to DSM.com as well.

After reading Crafty's comments about the poor subscription rate, I'm floored and have to say something. This guy has put in tons of effort to make the hands down best off-road app that is out there. He has made something that you can count on to safely and easily get you around offroad tracks. Not only that, but he has made an online hub where you can store all your tracks and see tracks other people made! And you can ask this dude directly for questions and help! Hard for me to think of so much value provided by such a small subscription rate. Get off your ass and subscribe to keep this going. Everyone talks about supporting the little guy, but then they don't walk the talk. Don't be that guy.

/rant
Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #1792
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Fling, human nature (willingness to only pay for things you MUST) and Internet culture (which values shabby and free above quality with fee) make odd bed fellows. Also, paying for something that is free creates cognitive dissonance. Lots of people have suggested a "freemium" model for the website where I provide subscribers something extra, presumably to overcome the above mentioned cognitive dissonance but I don't think the website has any "extra" features to remove and I, like everyone else, hate to go to a website for info and be asked to pay to play. Wikipedia would be in the dust bin of history if it were not free. Likewise DSM benefits greatly from its free and open nature. I donate to Wikipedia every year because they provide an awesome service and they raise the many millions of pounds, dollars, and euros they need to survive simply by asking (they benefit greatly from volunteers as well). Unlike Wikipedia, I do not ask very "loudly" for help (the link at the top is a pretty passive request) and like Wikipedia I offer the audience no value proposition to help. The fact that subscriptions rates are at about 5% of where they need to be for this project to be self sustaining prove out my failure in this respect. I was hoping that 1 in 20 visitors to the site would just "hook me up" and save me the work of figuring out how to coerce assistance. When I attack the "Google Problem" head on in the next few months I'll add in some tracking of who is subscribing and perhaps try a little more assertive nagging. Silencing a nagging website is not the value proposition I'd prefer but unless some better ideas filter down to my brain that seems like the next step.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #1793
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 22,888
Crafty-
Let me start by saying:

That out of the way, I'm not going through this entire thread to see if I can find the answer to this question and I couldn't find any info on the website to help me out. What I'm trying to do is download the map overlay that you created for the Tonto National Forest in Arizona. I have a Garmin Oregon which allows me to overlay custom maps but I'm having a hard time doing what you already did (resize and fit the SBS file onto googleearth). Is it possible for me to download that map you created from somewhere?

Again, thanks for the hard work you've put into this.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #1794
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

There is not. Whatever format the Oregon uses is not the format the Android App uses I'm sure. If you have an Android phone though it may be worth your effort to install the app and keep it as a back up and to reference more maps than your Garmin can display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
Crafty-
Let me start by saying:

That out of the way, I'm not going through this entire thread to see if I can find the answer to this question and I couldn't find any info on the website to help me out. What I'm trying to do is download the map overlay that you created for the Tonto National Forest in Arizona. I have a Garmin Oregon which allows me to overlay custom maps but I'm having a hard time doing what you already did (resize and fit the SBS file onto googleearth). Is it possible for me to download that map you created from somewhere?

Again, thanks for the hard work you've put into this.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #1795
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 22,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
There is not. Whatever format the Oregon uses is not the format the Android App uses I'm sure. If you have an Android phone though it may be worth your effort to install the app and keep it as a back up and to reference more maps than your Garmin can display.
I was afraid of that. The Oregon uses a kml file which I've been trying to create. I downloaded the same map you overlayed from the forest service but when I bring it into google earth all I get is a red X. :(
Unfortunately I currently don't own a smart phone so I'm out of luck there. I've been keeping an eye on this app since you started it and it's probably the single most driver for me to breakdown and get a st00pid smartphone.

damn you!

Once I do I'll be another subscriber for sure.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #1796
greenramp
Airborne

Oddometer: 101
I use my garmin as backup, dualsport maps app as my main and googles "my tracks" as a third. Googles "my tracks" on my Rzr allows you to use the .gpx files and export them as .kml files. may be something you could use once you get the smart phone.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #1797
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,893
Phone choice

Sorry if this has been asked. I searched and came up with a few options, but I'm considering replacing my Garmin Montana with a phone or tablet. Of course, this app is part of the plan. I have a Samsung GS3, but I want a dedicated phone that lives on my bikes. I'll be replacing a Montana.

My single biggest issue, and the reason I don't already use a phone for GPS is the glove friendly issue. Does a phone exist that is usable with gloves? I know I'm asking too much here, but waterproof is a close second...

That Sony Xperia Active looks interesting, and it comes with a little loop on the bottom to attach a lanyard Looks like more than I'd like to pay though, and well, I'll still need to remove my gloves anytime I want to tweak it which is ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME!
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:47 AM   #1798
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Sorry if this has been asked. I searched and came up with a few options, but I'm considering replacing my Garmin Montana with a phone or tablet. Of course, this app is part of the plan. I have a Samsung GS3, but I want a dedicated phone that lives on my bikes. I'll be replacing a Montana.

My single biggest issue, and the reason I don't already use a phone for GPS is the glove friendly issue. Does a phone exist that is usable with gloves? I know I'm asking too much here, but waterproof is a close second...

That Sony Xperia Active looks interesting, and it comes with a little loop on the bottom to attach a lanyard Looks like more than I'd like to pay though, and well, I'll still need to remove my gloves anytime I want to tweak it which is ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME!

It probably depends on the gloves you're wearing, but with thin-ish summer gloves with leather fingers and thumbs, I'm able to make "coarse" changes to my Droid Razr Maxx with gloves on. I can zoom in and out, scroll around the map, switch to my music player to change a song, etc. For more intricate stuff, like typing a text or email or browsing the web, I take my gloves off.

I suggest going with your motorcycle gloves to a retail outlet for your mobile carrier and playing around with various phones with your gloves on.
zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:07 AM   #1799
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

A friend of mine uses that phone. He uses the DSM remote control though which makes life pretty convenient for him. One of these days Ill get back to that project. I have an idea that should make the remote a $100 item instead of a $200 item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post

Old 08-16-2013, 05:23 AM   #1800
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,984
I just got the phone, and haven't tested it with riding glove yet (keep meaning to, but the bike is torn apart for suspension work), but the Galaxy S4 and S4 Active have "High Sensitivity" mode for gloved hands. I have the S4 Active.

My lock screen is "swipe to unlock". With the glove mode OFF, I can run my finger about 1/4 of an inch above the screen, and the screen senses my finger (a pixel trail is displayed below my finger). I hope to have good luck with glove mode on and thinner summer gloves. I'll report back here this weekend, I'll give it a test.