Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,914
MCCCT on the KLR

Day 1-
Last weekend I rode the KLR up to my friend Bobs place up North in Lake City,Michigan on Lake Missaukee which is near Cadillac and Manistee National Forest.
I left Saturday morning and rode the 220 miles up at a leisurely pace along back country roads.
Another friend and his son trailered their KTM 250 SX and Husaberg 450 FX up to ride with Bob and his new KTM 500 XCW,so when I got there they were out on a ride so I dropped my luggage and tire psi and went out exploring the 2 tracks and forest roads out to the gravel pit where they often go.
On the way back I ran into them and we rode back to Bobs and hung out for a while.
Then we decided to head a little North of Bob to the North Missaukee ORV and Michigan Cross Country Cycle Trail (MCCCT).
I followed them up there as they trailered their bikes and then after unloading we took off down the MCCCT.
They missed a turn and tore off down the bigger ORV route,and so I continued on down the Single track MCCCT by myself.
I love the MCCCT as it is a continuous single track trail system of I believe a little over 1,000 miles in the shape of an A around and across the whole State of Michigan.In places it turns into 2 track or ORV route and sometimes even paved to connect back up to the trail.It is also marked very well.
Over the years I have rode many sections of it but this is a section I have not rode yet so I was very excited to be on it.

More pics to follow.

http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/

GAS GUY screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 09:33 AM
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

The Trail ran through this sweet Pine Forest.The symmetrical trees and the ground covered with Pine needles give the forest a special effect.

Here are some more shots of the trail.

I rode as much as I could till just before dark and then hit the next crossroad I came to and ran back to Bobs to join up with them for dinner in town.
I planned on coming back Sunday morning and continuing where I left off.

GAS GUY screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 06:00 PM
Old 08-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #3
mr2autoxr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
We rode that section of trail about a month and a half ago. It was nice as I hadn't ridden there either.

I really want to do a 4-5 day trip next summer and run the entire MCCCT section. That would be a good trip.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
jdfog2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Hi - this looks like a nice ride!
Have you done this in or near the first week of October? Is it doable then unless it has rained a lot?

Thanks
J in Indiana
jdfog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #5
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfog2 View Post
Hi - this looks like a nice ride!
Have you done this in or near the first week of October? Is it doable then unless it has rained a lot?

Thanks
J in Indiana

You should be fine in October.
Actually, any rain usually helps tighten up the trails since Michigan has so much sand.

Here is a link to a ride I did years ago in the spring on another section of the MCCCT starting from Whitecloud,Mi and heading North after lots of rain.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663295
Old 08-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
pro5mark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Michigan has some beautiful trails, located all over the state. Anyone thinking of coming up and riding some of trails really should get off the fence, and just do it.

I did a 1,200 mile dual sport ride earlier this summer, some dirt road, lots of two track and so much single track that I could barely hang on to the bars by the end of my trip. Loved every minute of the adventure.

Love seeing the pictures of the single track, here are some from my trip.

pro5mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
Vinbowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
So much beautiful country...
so little time.
They just stand back and let it all be." Springsteen
Vinbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
Altego
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Beautiful country. Looks like a great place to ride
Old 08-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Day 2 -

After having breakfast in town with Bob and Jamie and his son Chad, I took off on my own to take up where I left off the night before on the MCCCT/North Missaukee ORV trail about 9:30 am.

After a couple of hours of riding I came through another Pine Forest.

The trail turns into a small gravel corridor that takes you over U.S.131.

Shortly after crossing 131 I rolled into a Trail Head parking lot.A few guys in their truck and dirt bike trailer were looking at a map in the parking lot and looked surprised when I popped in on a KLR.
One guy asked how the KLR was doing and I told him it was a handfull but holding its own and will also haul me back to Detroit this evening.They looked at me kind of funny. LOL.

Shortly after leaving the parking lot and running some wider orv route the trail brought me to this cool one lane wooden bridge traversing the Manistee River.
You can see the red MCCCT triangle confidence markers on the bridge above the low clearance sign.

Manistee River.

Occasionally the trail opens up into areas like this.

And when you come to small water crossings in the middle of the woods there are little bridges like this because Michigan is fanatical about keeping you out of the water.Dont let the DNR catch you in a river with any vehicle !!

Old 08-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
Ack535
FJR Pilot

Oddometer: 93
Great pics, thanks for sharing. I am impressed you were able to negotiate the single track on the KLR!
2005 FJR 1300 R.I.P. 9/2012
Ack535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ack535 View Post
Great pics, thanks for sharing. I am impressed you were able to negotiate the single track on the KLR!
Thanks, I like the challenge and workout along with the satisfaction of riding the bike up to and back home along with the singletrack and whatever else I come across.
I also rode some of the Caberfae Way single track which is really tight.I will try to post a few pics from there tommorow.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:53 AM   #12
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

After awhile I got off the Trail I was following and found some fuel and lunch.
Then I rode down M55 to Caberfae Way Trailhead and rode a 5 mile section of very tight ORV trail that leads back to the MCCCT at a T intersection with the southern route heading to Lincoln Hills Trail system and the Northern route going back up to where I just left off.

I rode this trail along with the Southern route to Lincoln Hills a year or two ago on a KTM 450 along with Bob on his Husaberg 450 and he did not like it since it was so tight.He likes fast wide open 2 track.
Needless to say it was a handful on the KLR but fun anyway.I love the tight woods riding regardless.

Whoops !! A rut caught the edge of my front tire and pulled me down while I was being careless and looking around the forest.

I wanted to continue riding The MCCCT from here up to where I left off earlier but was running out of time as I had to be at work the following morning,so I will have to come back another day and resume where I left off.

So I broke trail and headed back to Bobs to grab my luggage and air my tires back up for the ride home.
I stopped and got fuel and then rode M55 to US127 South to I96 on home for a 220 mile blast non stop in about 3 hours.
I have to say the KLR is proving to be a very versatile machine.